Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Good rain jacket

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Good rain jacket

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-08, 08:17 AM
Imasphere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good rain jacket

I'm looking to buy a good rain jacket for long commutes and tours. I presently have a North Face 2 ply Gore-tex jacket, but it's getting old and it's heavy (800 grams I think). I'm looking to buy a new jacket but I can't make up my mind on what to buy. MEC has a few waterproof breathables that seem alright at good prices ($60 to $120), but I doubt they will stand up to a heavy rainfall. Louis Garneau has a VERY light breathable jacket (Wind buster superlight is the model). There's also a few companies which make those see thru plastic jackets with mesh under the arm pits for around $20. I'm sure they stop the rain, but the sweat must be terrible (has anyone used those?). Seeing that my first two Gore-tex jackets were quite a disappointement in the rain I'm wondering if a waterproof-breathable actually works. I'm trying to find something under $200, but if a more expensive jacket really delivers, I'd be willing to shed out more money. If anyone has any suggestions to the perfect rain jacket, please feel free to add to this thread.

Thanks.
Old 07-22-08, 08:27 AM
Al Downie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the UK, my favourite jackets are made from very lightweight 3-ply 'eVent' material. Gore-tex PacLite is a 2-ply alternative, but unless you buy a jacket with a (heavy) lining, the laminate can start to wear fairly quickly.
Old 07-22-08, 08:49 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Imasphere
I'm looking to buy a good rain jacket for long commutes and tours. I presently have a North Face 2 ply Gore-tex jacket, but it's getting old and it's heavy (800 grams I think). I'm looking to buy a new jacket but I can't make up my mind on what to buy. MEC has a few waterproof breathables that seem alright at good prices ($60 to $120), but I doubt they will stand up to a heavy rainfall. Louis Garneau has a VERY light breathable jacket (Wind buster superlight is the model). There's also a few companies which make those see thru plastic jackets with mesh under the arm pits for around $20. I'm sure they stop the rain, but the sweat must be terrible (has anyone used those?). Seeing that my first two Gore-tex jackets were quite a disappointement in the rain I'm wondering if a waterproof-breathable actually works. I'm trying to find something under $200, but if a more expensive jacket really delivers, I'd be willing to shed out more money. If anyone has any suggestions to the perfect rain jacket, please feel free to add to this thread.

Thanks.
I used a gortex jacket for a while, but all the zips, pockets, and the weight of the fabric made it less than idea for touring. I've tried a couple of other lightweight jackets, but I've ended up using a very cheap microporous rain jacket from Driducks, O2 makes a similar jacket, with a hood. These jackets cost about $20 and work really well. You won't be stylish, but you will be dry.

The Driducks tend to come on the large size, which works out well for commuting or touring where speed isn't an issue as it gives you lots of air flow to keep the sweating down.
Old 07-22-08, 09:35 AM
becnal
I'm made of earth!

Bikes: KTM Macina 5 e-bike, Babboe Curve-E cargobike, Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Showers Pass Rain jacket. The Elite 2.0. I will never wear another jacket again.
Old 07-22-08, 10:16 AM
hangman_jdf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a gore-tex jacket that I got from Bass Pro. It works ok, but I wish it had a little more ventilation. On backpacking forums, I've seen alot of people like their frogg toggs.
Old 07-22-08, 10:25 AM
Podolak

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use the EMS Deluge jacket. It is both light and made of Gore-Tex. It works very well but it isn't cheap. Well worth it in my opinion though.
Old 07-22-08, 12:25 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by hangman_jdf
I use a gore-tex jacket that I got from Bass Pro. It works ok, but I wish it had a little more ventilation. On backpacking forums, I've seen alot of people like their frogg toggs.
Yes that's where I got the idea for the microporous approach. I find most cycling rain gear restrictive and I sweat and become uncomfortable and if a jacket is tight fitting, even if it is waterproof, when it gets wet it clings to the body and is uncomfortable. A baggy microporous jacket solves all these problems for me. Its lightweight (6oz), and keeps me dry and well ventilated
Old 07-22-08, 01:00 PM
wrafl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got mine from this place:

https://www.bicycleclothing.com/index.html

I haven't had a chance to use them yet but I think they are great. I would have gone with showers pass touring butthe on line store I checked didn't have them in stock.