Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I got cutoff last week...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-10, 05:27 PM
Speedwagon98

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

By a landscaping truck pulling a huge trailer. He looked at me, and decided to follow his buddy instead of waiting for me to go(they were turning left). I actually had to hit the brakes very hard to avoid hitting the tail end of the trailer. But that got me thinking(as my only recourse towards him would have been hand gestures), and I remembered references to the Airzound on here. Bought one on Amazon, got it a few days ago. Still need to install it, but I'll be ready for the next guy that wants to cut me off! And man, that Airzound is LOUD!

Last edited by Speedwagon98; 09-16-10 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-16-10, 06:08 PM
travelmama

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Airzound is the only way to go.
Old 09-16-10, 06:49 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Same happened to me. Be prepared and don;t let it get to you - it won;t be the last time.
Old 09-16-10, 08:03 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Landscapers are the worst.

I always assume a landscaper is going to to something stupid, and I'm always right.
Old 09-16-10, 08:33 PM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rented moving trucks are pretty bad, too. Because the drivers usually haven't maneuvered anything that big before, and they don't know where their blind spots are.

+1 on the AirZound. also key for getting the attention of joggers with headphones.
Old 09-16-10, 11:09 PM
jwbnyc
Señor Wences

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You know, there are people who will look you right in the eye and go anyway. You are no threat to their safety and they really could care less about yours. I wouldn't expect an Airzound to change their minds.
Old 09-16-10, 11:13 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Personally, any pickup towing a trailer gets more scrutiny on my part, regardless of the driver's profession.
Old 09-16-10, 11:35 PM
CptjohnC
Old, but not really wise

Bikes: 2010 Kona Dew Drop (the daily driver),'07 Specialized Roubaix (the sports car), '99 ish Kona NuNu MTB (the SUV), Schwinn High Plains (circa 1992?) (the beater)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jwbnyc
You know, there are people who will look you right in the eye and go anyway. You are no threat to their safety and they really could care less about yours. I wouldn't expect an Airzound to change their minds.
Except that it is likely to attract the attention of others, too, and folks are less likely to do the amazingly boneheaded if they think other folks are watching, maybe? Today's genius was in a pickup truck, pulling across two lanes to turn left, but didn't account for traffic, leaving him almost in my only path. I agree with others -- this is a routine occurrence, and landscapers / others with trailers are worse than most.
Old 09-17-10, 04:46 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get cut off several times a day The AirZound actually does help, most of the time the drivers hit the brakes.

Adam
Old 09-17-10, 07:50 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I've been 5 years without even any close calls, but there's something weird going on; I got nearly right hooked 3 times in a week and I've gotten a number of close passes in the last few days. I've started to adjust my riding style to ride farther left in reaction, and yes, I just ordered an Airzound from Amazon a couple of days ago. Should be here next week (free Amazon shipping is slooow but I'm patient; just hope I don't get squished before then). And I'm starting to think about bothering with the helmet cam again. I stopped because I go hundreds of rides without anything happening so you start to think it's not worth the bother of charging the camera and wiping the memory card every day.

Last edited by ItsJustMe; 09-17-10 at 07:54 AM.