Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Big Dummy 2011: my build :)

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Big Dummy 2011: my build :)

Old 05-01-11, 06:25 PM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 437 Posts
Wow that's a shocker. I still enjoyed reading about your BD build. You apparently weren't big or dumb enough
Old 05-01-11, 06:28 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skijor
Wow that's a shocker. I still enjoyed reading about your BD build. You apparently weren't big or dumb enough
And I enjoyed building it!
Old 05-01-11, 06:38 PM
dwnptrl_777
Señor Member

Bikes: Ti Fatback

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamDZ
And I enjoyed building it!
Funny how things turn out. When I built the Goat in '08 I thought I'd found the perfect bike. And believe me, it was hard to let go of that bike a few months ago. But it helped me get back on my feet, literally, and it became part of a process of a few bicycles (Goat > Trucker > Pugsley) which, ultimately, helped me know what I wanted as The One. My heart is deep in the woods. Has been since birth. And so the process of bikes helped me understand that I needed something built for offroad, with a second wheelset that still let me play on the road or race when I wanted to.

Anyway, point is, sometimes we need to work through this stuff to know what we really want/need, so no harm done in selling your BD, Adam. Someone else will enjoy it.
Old 05-01-11, 07:05 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dwnptrl_777
Funny how things turn out. When I built the Goat in '08 I thought I'd found the perfect bike. And believe me, it was hard to let go of that bike a few months ago. But it helped me get back on my feet, literally, and it became part of a process of a few bicycles (Goat > Trucker > Pugsley) which, ultimately, helped me know what I wanted as The One. My heart is deep in the woods. Has been since birth. And so the process of bikes helped me understand that I needed something built for offroad, with a second wheelset that still let me play on the road or race when I wanted to.

Anyway, point is, sometimes we need to work through this stuff to know what we really want/need, so no harm done in selling your BD, Adam. Someone else will enjoy it.
Yeah, I think the part of this process/problem is that I am not really sure what I want (that doesn't apply only to bikes either) and I don't have the room to keep all the bikes (and some other things too...) that I'd like to keep. It was definitely a learning process though. I was also hoping that the BD would become my universal bike but I guess I was wrong. It's a cargo bike. It can't replace a touring bike or a mountain bike and it turned out to be too big to be a commuter bike as well.

But I can't have "The One". When it comes to bikes I don't think I can have one bike that will do it all.

I think the idea is beginning to surface that I want three relatively simple bikes:

1) a commuter/hauler, I already have one and it works well alone or with the trailer
2) a weekend/touring bike, probably a rigid MTB with narrow tires and touring bar that would fit on trains or be easily packed for flying/shipping
3) a front suspension MTB, I still would like to go hit some trails, I miss not having a pure MTB

I was thinking about having one bike with a couple of wheelsets (road and off-road) that would satisfy #2 and #3. However, for touring a suspension fork is less than optimal and all the racks would be just an extra weight and bulk for a mountain bike.

I was overhauling my commuter bike this week (new cables, adjusted brakes and gears, etc) and I realized that I really like that Nashbar frame. I think the key here is here to realize that just because it's a $99 aluminum frame it doesn't mean it's a bad frame. There is a lot of attention to detail there and it can be build up with a susp fork as a mountain bike or a rigid fork, thin tires and racks to be a commuter, tourer or whatever bike. So it occured to me that, considering the price, this frame is likely the way to go.

I think I fell into that mindset for a while that I need a fancy steel frame to be happy. Maybe not? With the Nashbar frame and Deore level parts I can build up a nice bike for under $1k. Does it really need to be fancy to be fun? I remember the most fun I had on a bike was when I had a $200 dept store MTB and I was oblivious to all the "requirements" for a decent bike and I was riding every weekend having a blast. I think I got to the point that I was spending too much time and mental energy (and money too) on over-thinking rather than riding.

As I said before, I will stop trying to reinvent the wheel. I will built two simple, purposeful bikes and just start riding them.
Old 05-01-11, 07:09 PM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Rock on, man. I wish I could take it off your hands, but the truth is, I couldn't ditch the car either, and I wound up building a touring/commuter bike instead of a cargo. It kinda sucks, but on the other hand, it's a killer bike, I'm sure somebody will enjoy it and need it.
Old 05-01-11, 07:13 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FunkyStickman
Rock on, man. I wish I could take it off your hands, but the truth is, I couldn't ditch the car either, and I wound up building a touring/commuter bike instead of a cargo. It kinda sucks, but on the other hand, it's a killer bike, I'm sure somebody will enjoy it and need it.
And if not, all the parts can be used to build another bike I don't want to wait too long or I'll miss some good ridin'... I want to build a touring bike by the end of May and then the MTB by some time in Summer. So I will wait a week and if no takers I'll strip it down and reuse the parts. I'm sure the frame and the xtracycle accessories will be easier to sell alone than the whole bike.
Old 05-01-11, 07:24 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dwnptrl_777
My heart is deep in the woods. Has been since birth.
Speaking of which, I am working towards moving out of NYC no later that the end of the next year so I can be closer to the woods too! The urban jungle is killing me. I wasted a large chunk of my life trying to adjust to the life in the big city, it was a mistake.
Old 05-02-11, 04:14 AM
vXhanz
I'm Rad.

Bikes: 2008 Allez (Sold), 2009 Surly LHT (Sold), 2014 Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I was surprised to read that when it came across, but all the points you indicate are valid and stuff I never would have considered. Thanks for posting the build as well as your trial and error with it.

It's funny you mention the simplicity of riding a cheaper bike... my friend and I were out riding the trail yesterday talking about the riding we did as kids. Hard plastic seats, single speed, coaster brakes, etc. and we didn't care and just rode the crap out of them. Now? Gears, special seats, special gear for riding, etc, etc. The list goes on and on. The bike starts to get so expensive that you don't want to ride it for fear of scratching it up, or locking it outside of the store without worrynig about it getting stolen, etc. At least that's where I'm at with my biking experience.

V
Old 05-02-11, 04:38 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you Adam.You did a great build. Too bad you couldn't find a way to hang onto it if you're planning to move out of the city. It may fit into your life better in your next locale.
Old 05-02-11, 06:16 AM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 437 Posts
The folding CF BD with self-retracting wide loaders will be out in 2012...complete with the most awesome titanium kickstand which doubles as a bottle opener, U-lock, and ninja star. Interested?
Old 05-02-11, 10:11 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I couldn't live with my BD if the wideloaders were on 24/7 either - it's too wide to be useful unless you are hauling stuff constantly. With the wideloaders stuffed in the freeloader bags I can deploy then quickly as needed, but that means the kickback centrestand is a no go. Funny thing is I got my BD when I lived in a small downtown apartment and was surprised how easy it was to get in and out of the building. Way easier than my touring bike + Bob trailer.

I've bought bikes in the past that I thought were going to be great and they didn't last. Some things you have to try to see what happens. Good luck on your future projects.
Old 05-02-11, 10:22 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vik
I couldn't live with my BD if the wideloaders were on 24/7 either - it's too wide to be useful unless you are hauling stuff constantly. With the wideloaders stuffed in the freeloader bags I can deploy then quickly as needed, but that means the kickback centrestand is a no go. Funny thing is I got my BD when I lived in a small downtown apartment and was surprised how easy it was to get in and out of the building. Way easier than my touring bike + Bob trailer.

I've bought bikes in the past that I thought were going to be great and they didn't last. Some things you have to try to see what happens. Good luck on your future projects.
Oh, I ended up removing the wideloaders eventually. For the kind of weight I was carrying the bags themselves were holding up well. And I was wrong: they didn't interfere with the brake and RD after all.

The problem is that when I roll the BD in head first into the apartment I can't easily turn it around (that's where the carnage starts: hitting furniture, walls, door frames). A straight narrow hallway leads to my doorway so backing out is difficult. Backing in with loaded bags is even harder.

With the trailer, I can roll into the hallway, detach the trailer, roll the bike into the apartment, turn it around, park it aside and then pull the trailer in, unload it and store it in a different room. To get out I would do the reverse: roll the bike into the hallway, attach the trailer and roll both straight out. In my particular case BD is really hard to maneuver.

On a nice day I could unload it and carry the cargo in but that doesn't solve the problem entirely plus, we've had lots of cold, rainy days that I'd just rather get inside quickly.
Old 05-02-11, 12:46 PM
vXhanz
I'm Rad.

Bikes: 2008 Allez (Sold), 2009 Surly LHT (Sold), 2014 Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Adam, is there nothing you can do to save the beast or is your significant other dead set against it?
Old 05-02-11, 01:42 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Can you leave it at your girlfriend's place and tell your wife you sold it?

Haha

I never drank the koolaid. Giving your wife (and/or girlfriend) a ride on it is the only thing you can do with a long bike that you can't do with with a trailer. If's she's not into it, what's the point?

I totally agree about the advantages of trailer vs. long bike. Concerning handling, I can easily do no-handed track stands with three hundred pounds on my trailer. I can carry much bigger loads than a Dummy bike. Bike and trailer fit in the space under the stairs. Etc.

Don't quit getting groceries with your trailer. Driving is totally bogus dude and you know it. Haha.
Old 05-02-11, 01:56 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vXhanz
Adam, is there nothing you can do to save the beast or is your significant other dead set against it?
It does take up a lot of space in the hallway. I can keep one bike and a trailer in my room but I can't keep a BD in here, so it sits in the hallway and it is indeed an obstruction. She also sees no advantage over my trailer.

Originally Posted by qmsdc15
Can you leave it at your girlfriend's place and tell your wife you sold it?

Haha

I never drank the koolaid. Giving your wife (and/or girlfriend) a ride on it is the only thing you can do with a long bike that you can't do with with a trailer. If's she's not into it, what's the point?

I totally agree about the advantages of trailer vs. long bike. Concerning handling, I can easily do no-handed track stands with three hundred pounds on my trailer. I can carry much bigger loads than a Dummy bike. Bike and trailer fit in the space under the stairs. Etc.

Don't quit getting groceries with your trailer. Driving is totally bogus dude and you know it. Haha.
Wife has her own hardtail MTB with panniers and she likes riding that. When we go shopping she rides that and I ride my commuter with a trailer attached. Maybe we're too old but neither of us thinks much about giving her a ride on the BD So yeah, there ya go!

Oh, yeah, and that too: with a loaded BD I have to come to a dead stop with feet down; and with a trailer I can stand often briefly enough to wait for a light or whatever it is that is stopping me. Also, the trailer is much easier and quicker to load and unload (it's a large plastic bin/tote with a lid).
Old 05-02-11, 02:19 PM
jdswitters

Bikes: Swobo Fillmore, Kona Ute, Salsa Timberjack, Salsa Fargo, New belgium brewery cruisers-2014 and 2009 and 2007

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Bummer, I enjoyed reading about the build, even fantasized about getting a cargo bike, but in the end I know I wont carry more than what I do right now in my baskets on the commuter. I even had stem cap envy and ordered my own stem captain. I hope you find the bike(s) that work for you.
Old 05-02-11, 02:35 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdswitters
Bummer, I enjoyed reading about the build, even fantasized about getting a cargo bike, but in the end I know I wont carry more than what I do right now in my baskets on the commuter. I even had stem cap envy and ordered my own stem captain. I hope you find the bike(s) that work for you.
Don't feel bad, I'm not that bummed The longtails do have something about them that makes them desirable, just check out the threads around here, but a lot of people probably don't really need them, such as um...me I'm glad you discovered the Stem Captain because of my post!

If I had the space I'd have kept it and perhaps eventually put it to good use. But right now space is at premium and I need a light touring/weekend bike so yeah, the BD has to go.
Old 05-02-11, 02:46 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Trick to no handed track stands with trailer. Left foot on hitch to put some weight on the wider base of support a two wheel trailer provides. Don't put too much weight on the tow bar though. You can flip the trailer onto it's side! You don't have to ask me how I know.

Welcome back from the dark side.

(Just kidding, I know many find long bikes to be very useful.)

If you had small kids or a woman who doesn't prefer to ride her own bike, it would make more sense.

Congrats on giving it a try though. I haven't followed your thread closely because I'm not interested in this type of bike. I have checked in occasionally and thought your bike was coming along nicely. Sorry it didn't work out for you.
Old 05-02-11, 10:08 PM
owenfinn

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29er, Yuba Mundo, Dahon Boardwalk D7

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
My longtail cargo bike has made car-free living in the city so much easier for me and my family, but I couldn`t imagine having one if I still lived in Queens (or anywhere in NYC). Looking back, there just wasn`t anyplace I could possibly store the thing. Bringing it inside might have been OK, in some places - if I was single, but no matter how useful my wife thinks the Mundo is, there is no way she`d ever let me keep it in our apartment. Here, most apartments have bicycle parking areas for residents so I keep the bike locked outside under a shelter(I cover it with a big motorcycle rain cover).

It would be interesting to know more about the demographics of longtail cargo bike owners. I`d imagine most longtail owners living in the city are single, and most longtail owners are people with families living in the suburbs.
Old 05-06-11, 11:53 PM
colinmcnamara

Bikes: Trek Road Bike, Weyless MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by owenfinn
It would be interesting to know more about the demographics of longtail cargo bike owners. I`d imagine most longtail owners living in the city are single, and most longtail owners are people with families living in the suburbs.
I'd imagine that most people living in the city are single, and that most people living in the suburbs have families

(Wife + 2 kids + Longtail big dummy living in the burbs)
Old 05-07-11, 03:19 PM
Schwinnrider
Mirror slap survivor

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Surly Pacer, Access MTB, Ibex Corrida, one day a Simple City

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It does seem that a longtail would be much easier for someone who had a garage or storage building. I have three bikes inside my apartment, but a Big Dummy would be difficult to deal with. That being said, when I buy my house, a Big Dummy is on the list.
Old 05-07-11, 08:10 PM
megalowmatt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Adam - sorry to see the Big Dummy go. You did a great job on that build and I really enjoyed following the thread.
Old 05-14-11, 10:43 AM
bugly64
Share the road.

Bikes: 1992 Rocky Mountain Fusion, Yuba Mundo, 2008 Brompton M3L, 2021 Espin Nero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
I really enjoyed your build; it reminded me of my experience last year. I thought a mtb was the end of bike for me in 08.

My Big Dummy resides in the garage beside my '75 240d Mercedes. I would have liked commuting but it's more than dangerous here and it takes me 1.25 hours one way. In Montana I endured -30F, snow, and really bad winds, but it was only 3 miles each way. I use the Dummy for family rides, recycling, and small grocery/Walmart hauls. Besides, we have a little one and I can't wait to get a peepod.

Last edited by bugly64; 05-14-11 at 10:44 AM. Reason: left out somethin
Old 05-25-11, 08:59 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, so it's done: I disassembled it and sold the frame and the xtracycle parts a couple of days ago.
Old 06-08-11, 11:08 PM
KDC1956

Bikes: Surly LHT 52cm Nice Bicycle I think.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Big Dummy

Well at least I know what mine will look like in a way.My hat off to you.You really did do a great job on the BD.I am getting the BD frame soon here to in a 18".But I want cantilever breaks on my setup.I want to just ride it and have fun with it.Its a bicycle that you can do so much with.Even tho I have a great Surly LHT setup that I love and the money I have in that ride lol.The BD will be the same way I will lots of money in it too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.