Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon Rear Wheel Removal Procedure

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-11, 09:21 AM
rex615
canis lupus familiaris

Bikes: En plus one

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What is the procedure to easily remove the rear wheel on a a Dahon that has the the Neos rear derailleur.

I can get the rear wheel off, that is not the issue, the problem is that because the Neos derailleur sits further forward I seem to have to fight to get the wheel out of the frame.

Are there any tricks like placing the drivetrain in a certain gear or which side should come out first. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I tried the search option but didn't find anything.
Old 12-27-11, 09:51 AM
brakemeister
New usename ThorUSA

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not really.... just wiggle ..thats what I do .... The NEos is a super nice derrailleur but it has those two downfalls... taking the wheel out... and adjusting the max and min screw ....
the better shifting makes up for the downfalls in my opinion however

thor
Old 12-27-11, 03:15 PM
wernst

Bikes: 86 Nishiki Olympic Sport, 87 KHS Montana Team, 06 Dahon Mariner

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Just grabbing the chain and pulling it back is the thing to do. Keep a few latex gloves in your saddlebag if you don't like the idea of getting filthy doing a rear tire repair on the road.

-Warr
Old 12-27-11, 07:08 PM
rex615
canis lupus familiaris

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Thor, i was afraid that was going to be the case. Maybe with practice I will get better.
Old 12-27-11, 07:11 PM
rex615
canis lupus familiaris

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Warr, I think you have a good point there with pulling the chain, like I said above, I need more practice, preferably in the warmth of the living room and not on the side of the road, in the rain, and the sun going quickly down into the horizon.
Old 12-27-11, 07:54 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I find it works better if you move the RD into the middle range when taking the wheel off. You also have to push the chain out of the way, but you have to do that anyways to slip the axle past. On normal RD bikes, it's best to put it into the high range, because it's easier to slip the axle past, but that inflexibility doesn't allow the RD to be bumped out of the way.
Old 12-29-11, 12:58 AM
RVD72

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Trek 6500, Brompton M6R, Dahon Speed D7, TidalForce S-750 custom, Breezer Uptown

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, I found that the easiest way to remove the rear wheel is to unhook the chain in the front chainring (where the crank is). that extends the chain length considerably and makes it very easy to pull out the rear wheel.

It's also very easy to just put the chain back on once you have the wheel back in.
Old 12-29-11, 08:27 AM
rex615
canis lupus familiaris

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RVD72
Actually, I found that the easiest way to remove the rear wheel is to unhook the chain in the front chainring (where the crank is). that extends the chain length considerably and makes it very easy to pull out the rear wheel.

It's also very easy to just put the chain back on once you have the wheel back in.

My issue doesn't seem to be with the chain, it is with the interference of the derailleur since it doesn't sit in the usual position.
Old 12-29-11, 09:28 AM
brakemeister
New usename ThorUSA

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good tips as usual ... I do a combination what AEO and RVD are doin .... its much easier to deal with it if there is no pretension on it from the chain...
Its really no big deal....a little annoyance maybe.

thor
Old 12-29-11, 03:23 PM
Tom808

Bikes: Dahon Presto, Trek MTB, Randonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This really bothered me with my Vitesse. I finally removed the stock derailleur and replaced it with a standard Tiagra from my parts bin. When I purchased my bike, it came with a spare dropout which allowed me to fit a standard derailleur. I'm not sure if all Dahon bikes come with the alternative dropout.

I also replaced the shifter while I was at it, so I don't know if the stock shifter is shimano compatible
Old 12-29-11, 06:33 PM
rex615
canis lupus familiaris

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tom808
This really bothered me with my Vitesse. I finally removed the stock derailleur and replaced it with a standard Tiagra from my parts bin. When I purchased my bike, it came with a spare dropout which allowed me to fit a standard derailleur. I'm not sure if all Dahon bikes come with the alternative dropout.

I also replaced the shifter while I was at it, so I don't know if the stock shifter is shimano compatible
Mine didn't come with a spare hanger, but at least it is a replaceable part on my frame. When this derailleur wears out I will consider a regular one, but for now I will learn to work around the Neos.
Old 12-29-11, 07:53 PM
RVD72

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Trek 6500, Brompton M6R, Dahon Speed D7, TidalForce S-750 custom, Breezer Uptown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the rear derailleur gets in the way, did you try shifting gears to get it to move in or out? I usually put the bike into a high gear to move it out of the as much as possible.
Old 12-29-11, 08:58 PM
rex615
canis lupus familiaris

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If the rear derailleur gets in the way, did you try shifting gears to get it to move in or out? I usually put the bike into a high gear to move it out of the as much as possible.
I have been busy and haven't really had the chance to play with it, so I need to try with the chain in different positions.

Last edited by rex615; 12-29-11 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-29-11, 11:44 PM
Clownbike

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The situation is aggravated by the design. The NEOS is mounted in front of the dropout instead of behind. Not only does this make it difficult to get the axel and wheel past the derailleur, it makes it very difficult to adjust the H & L screws while it is installed.
Old 01-06-12, 12:52 PM
rex615
canis lupus familiaris

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So now that I have had the chance to practice and experiment a bit, i realize that some of my problem is visual confusion with the placement of the derailleur.

Instead of trying to move the wheel forward as in a normal bike to clear the derailleur, the wheel needs to go towards the rear and then you only need to bring the chain over and around the axle.
Old 01-10-15, 11:52 AM
SparkyBeacon 
Tourer

Bikes: Birdy folder, Bike Friday, Burley tandem, Nishiki fixie conversion, Dahon "Coca-Cola" Speed P8

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Video: Removing the Rear Wheel with Neos Derailleur

Yes, I am posting onto a thread that is five years old. I just googled this subject because I am wrestling with removing the rear wheel on my Dahon. Tern has published a nice video for this.

It is on YouTube at www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYjP8lrisEY

It is on the Tern website at www.ternbicycles.com/support/videos
Old 01-10-15, 02:27 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by SparkyBeacon
Yes, I am posting onto a thread that is five years old. I just googled this subject because I am wrestling with removing the rear wheel on my Dahon. Tern has published a nice video for this.

It is on YouTube at www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYjP8lrisEY

It is on the Tern website at www.ternbicycles.com/support/videos
Jesus, that involves handling the chain way too much for my taste, considering the fact that mine is usually pretty dirty and messy.

I can get the job done with a little wiggling and much more judicious chain touching. It's not a briliant design from the perspective of wheel insatall/removal, but it gets easier with practice.
Old 01-10-15, 04:55 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Carry non-latex gloves. I do for messy things or if I were to come across someone who's hurt. Also,you can use a stick,leaves,or a piece of paper to manipulate the chain;there's almost always going to be something in your immediate vicinity that you can use.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X