Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Cycling Computer vs. iPhone

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-12, 05:05 PM
smurray

Bikes: Leader 722TS, Surly Steamroller, Panasonic DX-3000, Trek 4900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Want to start tracking mileage on my new fixed gear commuter. Trying to decide if I should buy a dedicated cycling computer or just use my iPhone in combination with something like Strava. Any thoughts?
Old 08-07-12, 06:45 PM
mdelrossi

Bikes: Felt Z5, Trek Domane 2.0 Cannondale 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started using Strava, but I wanted to see my HR, cadence, and speed while riding. So I'm using Wahoo fitness app with sensors and the Wahoo bike mount. Wahoo fitness app exports to Strava so you can track your rides as if you used the strava app.
Old 08-08-12, 07:07 AM
BobaFetish

Bikes: DK S.O.B., DK Legacy, Gary Fisher Piranha, Fetish Penna (soon)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Strava and love it. It even pauses the ride if you are stationary for too long, usually when we come to a trail head at the MTB trails. You can track your heart rate through Strava if you have a monitor.
Old 08-08-12, 08:39 AM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I tracked on Endomindo with a Droid phone, and my data usage went through the roof. Got a Garmin Edge 500, and now download via USB, and keep my lower data plan.

The Garmin is a little more accurate than the phone, and it also has a pressure altimeter, that gives a far better reading of elevation than GPS does. Smartphone app's using GPS get the elevation by tying position to a global elevation database that does not account for over/under passes, and cuts in mountain roads. My elevation tracks now show all these little dips. https://app.strava.com/rides/15793721#293783641 . The two deeper dips near the start of the segment are where this riverside MUP passes under major boulevards. When doing this segment on my smartphone, this level of detail is not recorded, and it shows as a smooth, very gradual incline.

The Garmin is defiantly worth it for me, both for cost-it paid for itself in lower data usage in just a few months- and better info.

Last edited by CommuteCommando; 08-08-12 at 09:14 AM.