Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Vintage - Mint- Nishiki Kodiak MB by Kawamura (Circa 1987-1990)

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-13, 08:17 PM
asjetaylor

Bikes: 1990 Nishiki Kodiak 26" Mens Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi to all members. I'm finally retired from the Army and have gotten my old Nishiki out of long term storage. I bought it in 1990 in Seoul Korea at the Post Exchange...it had been in warehouse storage for a while I think. I used it to commute daily from my base to the very top of Dong Bingo Dong hill overlooking the Han river...at least an 800 foot climb up. I'm cleaning it up right now and have to pick up new tubes and tires for it. I think I paid about $275 in 1990. Everything is original and in great shape....just a little rust on some of the chrome parts but I know how to fix that. I am attaching a series of pictures since a picture is worth a thousand words. I'm simply curious as to relative vale today...do not intent to trade unless I opt to get a new (or old) road bike or hand it down to my grandson. One of the pictures shows the serial number under the pedal hub. I have searched the Web but wasn't able to find any useful value data.

Thanks in advance.

Steve Taylor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old 10-06-13, 08:26 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
In clean condition, $90-$135. Check this thread out if you want a road bike, much fun and very versatile.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ar-Conversions
Old 10-07-13, 11:56 AM
bent-not-broken
back in the saddle

Bikes: Raleigh Olympian, Trek 400, 500, 1500, 6700, Madone 6.9, Sekai 2400, Schwinn Passage, KOM, Super Letour, Nishiki Sport, Vision R45, Bike E, Volae Team

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No offense but mint and rust do not go togeather.
Old 10-07-13, 01:32 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
No wear near mint condition actually I would only call the condition fair to good. As for value only $100 in most markets.
Old 10-07-13, 07:02 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Congrats on your retirement and thank you for your service.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-08-13, 08:23 AM
asjetaylor

Bikes: 1990 Nishiki Kodiak 26" Mens Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you....

Originally Posted by bent-not-broken
No offense but mint and rust do not go togeather.
I am no bike condition expert nor am I familiar with your rating system, so thank you for the corrections. By "mint" I did not mean "Perfect Condition"...I should have said that all mechanical parts are original and unmodified. My sincerest apologies I have a severe sinus infection that is defying antibiotics so I am not well or clearheaded. Concussion damage from military service. Paint is original...found three scratches in the paint. All decals look fine. Very nice, shiny bike. Condition is somewhat irrelevant though Given its low value. I will probably pass it on to my 15 year old grandson. Again...thanks for the feed!

Steve Taylor
Old 10-08-13, 10:11 AM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
It's OK, people misuse "mint" all the time, no worries. "Mint" should mean that the condition is pretty much showroom perfect. If you are passing it on instead of selling it, it's a perfect bike to learn maintenance on. Maybe you and your grandson could do it together--replace all the bearings and grease, cables, tires, chain, brake pads, etc? It would be a fun bonding project. if you need any advice you can always ask on the Classic & Vintage forum here.
Old 10-08-13, 10:45 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Mint and "All Campagnolo" are two most over terms when it comes to bikes.

That is a huge frame does it fit correctly or near correct? That 300LX makes it one of the better All Terrain Bikes but it wouldn't hold up to much serious off road abuse. If the frame fits though that would make a great drop bar conversion with some narrower slicks. Shimano 7spd barend shifters, some Tektro brake levers would make it look really easy and look great. I can't see the stem but that might need replaced too.

Don't just grab some new tires. think about whether you want to keep and modify this before you buy. If your going to ride it on the road a smoother treaded tire will roll better and may even be more appealing if you seriously consider selling.

How was Korea?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-08-13, 04:18 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Lots of people have covered the "mint" topic so I won't badger you. No worries though, it's an extremely misused term that no one seems to understand.

Cool bike, worth maybe $100 around here. Not much more than that. Old mountain bikes are a victim of rapidly changing technology. As such, the values on the old ones are quite low.
Old 10-08-13, 04:50 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Mint and "All Campagnolo" are two most over terms when it comes to bikes.
Really BG? I thought it was "lightweight" and "ready-to-ride"
Old 12-12-18, 10:34 PM
Spathfinder
Spathfinder

Bikes: Nishiki Kodiak, Trek 790 , KHS road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Worth of bike is relative to what you likr

I have owned hundreds of bikes mostly because A part time business I started years ago flipping bikes. I had some high end road and mountain bikes and some medium bikes. I road tested every one of those bikes and sometimes road 30 miles because I enjoyed the bike that much. That being said there was not a whole lot of difference between a really high end derailer and an average one. I definitely found the seat on a bike was one of most valuable assets. The tires also is a value change you can make for a better ride. Most frames are solid by the 80’s, so spending $50 for a Trek vs $2000 for a Richey will just make it feel more important to you, but doubt it will improve the ride. Value is what feels right to you, not what your bike is worth or what it cost you
Old 12-14-18, 09:00 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by asjetaylor
Hi to all members. I'm finally retired from the Army and have gotten my old Nishiki out of long term storage. I bought it in 1990 in Seoul Korea at the Post Exchange...it had been in warehouse storage for a while I think. I used it to commute daily from my base to the very top of Dong Bingo Dong hill overlooking the Han river...at least an 800 foot climb up. I'm cleaning it up right now and have to pick up new tubes and tires for it. I think I paid about $275 in 1990. Everything is original and in great shape....just a little rust on some of the chrome parts but I know how to fix that. I am attaching a series of pictures since a picture is worth a thousand words. I'm simply curious as to relative vale today...do not intent to trade unless I opt to get a new (or old) road bike or hand it down to my grandson. One of the pictures shows the serial number under the pedal hub. I have searched the Web but wasn't able to find any useful value data.

Thanks in advance.

Steve Taylor
'Dong Bingo Dong hill' - Come on - you made that up!! Sorry - maybe I'm just a little tired, but that just made my day and I can;t stop laughing! (Please excuse my 12-year-olds sense of humor Mr. BF Administrator, but somebody had to point this out!)

Mr. Taylor, you have a decent rigid-frame mtn. bike. I suggest you advertise it for $90 and take $75 if offered - otherwise, donate it if you need the space.

Welcome to BF, enjoy your retirement, and thanks again for making my day!
Old 12-15-18, 06:51 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
We are talking a five year old posting here. Surely it is gone by now.
Old 12-15-18, 07:27 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
We are talking a five year old posting here. Surely it is gone by now.
I didn't even notice! And I'm still laughing about this!
Old 12-15-18, 07:55 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Zombie thread resurrected.

Now closed.