Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

New all smart bike from Volata cycles

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

New all smart bike from Volata cycles

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-16, 03:43 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why talk about anything when the price is out of the ballpark?
Old 07-23-16, 07:16 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Looks nice, but it's gimmicky. Built in stuff always concerns me because upgrades are restricted. I would not be able to commute without rack, panniers, and fenders, though. I like the belt drive and IGH. Bang for the buck is outrageously low.

I'll stick with my 45 year old commuter, thank you.
Old 07-23-16, 09:22 AM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by wschruba
Doubly so, since that bike can't have better optics installed (or more to the point, will the company care to provide such?).
You can still mount a new headlight to the handlebar or helmet, just like with any other bike. You'd just be lugging around an extraneous light.
Old 07-23-16, 09:58 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Looks nice, but it's gimmicky. Built in stuff always concerns me because upgrades are restricted. I would not be able to commute without rack, panniers, and fenders, though. I like the belt drive and IGH. Bang for the buck is outrageously low.

I'll stick with my 45 year old commuter, thank you.
I even like the electronic control on the IGH. I use belt drive on my commuter and am sold on it. it is the extra stuff, the losses due to styling, that make the bike unsuitable, for me, as a commuter.
Old 07-23-16, 01:31 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
(Poorly worded) testimonials for a product that hasn't even shipped is rather suspect, as is the tech-centric media reviews instead of cycling-centric.

I didn't look all that hard at the site, but what about those lights? I think I see the rear one poking out of the head tube (which is angled down)- does that blink? or just steady? How bright? If it isn't that bright, I'd rather it point straight back and not angled down for max effect.

And if what I think is the rear light, then it looks like a rack would at least partially obscure it- are they going to provide a mount on the rack and provide a wiring extension?

tl;dr- and wholly my personal opinion and not that of BF or IB- but I think that this product was designed by someone who actually hasn't spent all that much time- if any- actually using it for what they perceive the intended purpose.
Old 07-24-16, 10:10 AM
SlvrDragon50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
The Speed X Leopard looks way better.
Old 07-24-16, 10:35 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Shimano alfine 11 speed .. IGH gear range is determined by the cog wheel pitch ratio of the belt cogs.
Not as simple as a chain because you buy a new belt if the length needs to be different.

If you can afford to buy a House in San Francisco at today's prices this is the bike for you.
Old 07-24-16, 10:41 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5996 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
I like the looks, but isn't made to be very fast, nor very practical. It's a bit expensive for a compromise that is not fully thought through.
Old 07-24-16, 07:46 PM
mr geeker
Day trip lover

Bikes: '16 Giant Escape 3 (fair weather ride), Giant Quasar (work in progress), 2002 saturn vue (crap weather ride)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally I think the bike is meant to be more of a status symbol than anything, much like a Koenigsegg Regera...
Old 07-24-16, 10:32 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
I'd love to see more concept bikes on my commute, even if they don't suit my perception of what is perfect or affordable. And if someone else is shelling out for the experiment, who am I to complain? It would be fun to chat with the Volanta owner to get his or her take on riding it, pros and cons. I do think that accessory integration is the wave of the future, there will be more like this. I also wish that concept designers would pay attention to lighting optics in their OEM selections, and incorporate Busch and Muller type reflector design into their headlights, rather than selecting mere aircraft marker lights.

Last edited by Archwhorides; 07-24-16 at 10:37 PM.