Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

rollover crash due to bike in the road

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-17, 01:02 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 3,599 Times in 2,353 Posts

re: securing your bikes on a rack. if you're thinking should I double or triple check how I've mounted my bike & rack to my car. or if you think an extra strap can help. don't hesitate, do it

you might saving a life that's not yours

1 injured in I-89 rollover - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-
Old 06-05-17, 01:10 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Yep. In addition, it is also a great reminder when you are driving, it is almost always better to hit whatever suddenly appears in front of you instead of trying to swerve and avoid it.
Old 06-05-17, 01:18 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Yep. In addition, it is also a great reminder when you are driving, it is almost always better to hit whatever suddenly appears in front of you instead of trying to swerve and avoid it.
Yup. Tried drilling this into my daughter years ago while giving her driving lessons.
Old 06-05-17, 01:27 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
"Almost always" is quite a generalization.

It depends on the drivers level of skill, ability to stay calm and vehicle type. Someone with 35 years experience city driving behind the wheel of a sports car which handles well isn't the same as a teenager in mom's top heavy SUV.

It also depends on the object. I might swerve around a double sink which falls off the back of a truck but not a bag of trash. Both were real incidents which I experienced here in Atlanta.

-Tim-
Old 06-05-17, 01:49 PM
xodondum

Bikes: 17 Cannondale Synapse C; 17 DB Podium; 15 Trek Marlin 5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen cars totaled to avoid hitting deer.
Old 06-05-17, 02:00 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by xodondum
RE:Wildlife....the basic options are to total your car hitting the deer (or you-wish-the-insurance-company-DID-total-it for what it will cost to fix)...or take a chance and try to dodge the deer.

There's a chance you might miss the deer after all in maneuvering and be 100% fine (to which there may be consequences that are negative to trying as you mention)...but if you hit the deer, it is 100% certain your wallet (as well as your body/head) is going to be hurting.
Old 06-05-17, 02:05 PM
Noddy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
re: securing your bikes on a rack. if you're thinking should I double or triple check how I've mounted my bike & rack to my car. or if you think an extra strap can help. don't hesitate, do it
In addition if the rack itself is secured by any straps such as a hatch or trunk mount please understand that sunlight and weather make those straps deteriorate. Please don't kill anyone because you were too cheap to replace a couple of straps or an entire bike rack.

Originally Posted by TimothyH
"Almost always" is quite a generalization.
The propensity on this forum to over-analyze and pick apart general comments made by others is both amazing and truly depressing. It's really quite off-putting.
Old 06-05-17, 02:31 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7666 Post(s)
Liked 3,527 Times in 1,857 Posts
So if the travel-trailer in front of you is towing a car and the car comes loose ... Plow that sucker----For Safety!
Old 06-05-17, 02:43 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
In high school, I watched a lady total a '66 Mustang by running it into one of those guy wires at the end of a run of telephone poles... to avoid hitting a cat.

My kids aren't even near driving age yet, and I've already instilled in them: don't swerve. You swerve, hit something solid-- that's a single vehicle accident, and you are 100% at fault. You hit a deer and demolish the front end of the car, insurance takes care of it and you're out the deductible... provided the deer doesn't go through the windshield and finish you off.

But then again, we don't live in deer/moose country, so many in other locales likely think differently.
Old 06-05-17, 02:50 PM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
In high school, I watched a lady total a '66 Mustang by running it into one of those guy wires at the end of a run of telephone poles... to avoid hitting a cat.

My kids aren't even near driving age yet, and I've already instilled in them: don't swerve. You swerve, hit something solid-- that's a single vehicle accident, and you are 100% at fault. You hit a deer and demolish the front end of the car, insurance takes care of it and you're out the deductible... provided the deer doesn't go through the windshield and finish you off.

But then again, we don't live in deer/moose country, so many in other locales likely think differently.
Yep, we live in a part of NY that has so many deer that we joke "If you haven't hit one yet, you probably don't drive."

Most of the time you just end up with severe front end damage. But probably once every year or two someone is killed when the deer goes through the windshield ( or like happened this weekend, when a motorcyclist hit one. )
But the deaths are rare enough that it makes sense to not swerve.

OTOH, most of the collisions I've had personal knowledge of involved the deer jumping out of the underbrush directly into the path of the car, so it's not like you have much opportunity to swerve anyhow.
Old 06-05-17, 04:45 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,803 Times in 1,801 Posts
Several years ago swerving in heavy traffic was so common around Dallas I began to wonder whether it was a maneuver being taught in driver ed. In routine bumper to bumper traffic some drivers would swerve right or left onto the road shoulders simultaneously with braking. Every dang time. Like a jerky dance chorus. Dumbest stunt I'd ever seen.

Haven't seen drivers doing that for awhile. Presumably cops ticketed that maneuver out of existence.

I can understand driving around obstacles and hazards. But most folks overestimate their driving skills. They seem to think logging hours on the sofa watching NASCAR qualifies them for expert level commuting maneuvers.

One of my favorite rural routes includes a segment with deer crossings. I see 'em almost every ride, morning and late afternoon. Usually they're crossing within 100 yards of my approach. I slow down for those segments and I don't kid myself that I'm quick enough to evade a collision if one decides to dart out directly in front of, or into me. Even the little ones are about like medium sized dogs and would probably hurt more in a crash.
Old 06-05-17, 05:10 PM
bobwysiwyg

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Windshield is 5 times stronger than steel.
Source?
Old 06-05-17, 05:54 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 3,599 Times in 2,353 Posts
what it takes for a deer to go thru the windshield
I think it's usually moose that make it thru the windshield cuz they are taller. you take them out at the knees & the body falls thru the windshield. been spending more time driving to Vt & seeing the blood trails & reading the crash reports. they often also shred the roof back like a can opener
Old 06-05-17, 06:02 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I like to know what it takes for a deer to go thru the windshield.
Deadliest mammal in North America? Deer. By a lot-- on average 120 people a year are killed by deer, while second place is dogs way down with 28 a year. The science-types can put out all sorts of papers about the strength of laminate glass, but when a car going +60mph hits a 150lb deer, that deer is going right through the windshield, and often, through part of the roof as well.

Just be thankful that moose aren't more plentiful. Many near 1,000lbs, 6' tall at the shoulder...

Old 06-05-17, 06:27 PM
1Coopgt

Bikes: Mongoose Reform Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mulveyr
Yep, we live in a part of NY that has so many deer that we joke "If you haven't hit one yet, you probably don't drive."

Most of the time you just end up with severe front end damage. But probably once every year or two someone is killed when the deer goes through the windshield ( or like happened this weekend, when a motorcyclist hit one. )
But the deaths are rare enough that it makes sense to not swerve.

OTOH, most of the collisions I've had personal knowledge of involved the deer jumping out of the underbrush directly into the path of the car, so it's not like you have much opportunity to swerve anyhow.
Yup it was sad hearing about the rider Friday morning.

I like to know what it takes for a deer to go thru the windshield.
You should tell that to my friend ,I don't think he will believe you . He spent 2 months in the hospital after a deer came through his windshield . He was very luck to survive. The windshield may be that strong but if it comes in with the deer what good is it's strength ?
Old 06-05-17, 06:29 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
"rolling severed times".

I guess they don't proofread their articles...
Old 06-05-17, 07:01 PM
bobwysiwyg

npr
They have developed some very strong, exotic glass, metallic as I recall, but very expensive. I question they've made to auto assembly lines yet. Could be wrong though.
Old 06-05-17, 07:17 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Depends on the obstacle. The Murano in the photo plunged off the hill into my lane on I-81 in PA. Massive braking in the Westy, then off the brakes and steered past it on the shoulder. I would not do this for every obstacle, but it's worth it to miss another vehicle.
Crash2 lined.jpg
Old 06-05-17, 07:19 PM
EvilPhish
Perpetually Amused

Bikes: Bianchi 1885 Veloce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
They have developed some very strong, exotic glass, metallic as I recall, but very expensive. I question they've made to auto assembly lines yet. Could be wrong though.
The glass isn't necessarily stronger than the glue holding it in the frame.
Old 06-05-17, 07:45 PM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt
Yup it was sad hearing about the rider Friday morning.

You should tell that to my friend ,I don't think he will believe you . He spent 2 months in the hospital after a deer came through his windshield . He was very luck to survive. The windshield may be that strong but if it comes in with the deer what good is it's strength ?
Yup. And for what it's worth, that same 150lb deer hitting a car is going to trash steel as well; my father had a 1975-ish era Nova that he was driving when he had a glancing hit with a deer. It almost completely peeled off the sheet metal on the driver's side of the car. I suspect mtb_addict doesn't quite realize the massive forces involved in a deer collision.
Old 06-05-17, 08:04 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18399 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 3,361 Posts
hopefully that doesn't include bikes that are being ridden by someone.
Old 06-05-17, 08:19 PM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
I used to be a traffic accident investigator for a large police department, and the advice not to swerve is good. I have been to accidents where someone swerved to avoid hitting a dead dog in the street only to crash head-on with a city bus, killing the bus driver, and hurting several people on the bus, and another swerving to avoid rear-ending another car, only to run over and kill two pedestrians on the sidewalk. Cars are designed to resist impacts with other cars, and most things smaller. I will swerve to avoid a head-on collision, or avoid rear-ending a stopped semi-truck, but in most cases, it is best just to hit the brakes and hold on.
Old 06-05-17, 08:59 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I guess I was wrong in thinking my statement could be reasonably read.

No, if a car is sitting in your lane (or a concrete barricade, or any other large rather unmoveable object), your best bet is to try and avoid it. No, if there is a person in the lane, the best option isn't to run them over. If a bike without a rider, a deer, a bag of garbage, a blown tire, etc suddenly appears in front of you, it is best to hit the brakes, find a clear path, and then when you know you have the car under control and can do so safely in regards both to your ability to control the vehicle and not hit anyone else, maneuver safely out of the way. Jerking the wheel is often going to wind up with you in far more pain and with far more vehicle damage than just hitting the object. And yes, deer can come through the windshield and cause injury, it is still more likely you lose control swerving and hurt yourself that way.

In the future, I'll remember to write a full paragraph specifically detailing my thoughts, instead of what I assume to be a fairly straight forward sentence
Old 06-05-17, 09:18 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5840 Post(s)
Liked 2,673 Times in 1,488 Posts
I've also seen cars totaled by hitting a deer.

Whether braking and hitting is better than swerving depends on a bunch of variables, including the type of car and what the obstruction or hazard is.

A rabbit, sure hit it, a deer or moose you're car is likely to suffer sever damage from a broadside hit, and the body coming through the windshield could cause you sever injury.

BTW - hitting a bike may be more serious than it's weight may predict. Odds are you won't hit it square, so it could damage either front axle and lock that wheel, which could cause the same kind of loss of control that swerving might have.

The story doesn't make it clear, but unless it fell off a car immediately in front of this driver, it was laying in the road for a little while, and apparently other drivers managed to avoid it.

So the real takeaway may be to be alert, and keep ones eyes on the road well forward of braking or maneuvering distance. (that doesn't excuse whoever caused it to be there in the first place).

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-06-17, 03:42 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 552 Posts
What would an autonomous vehicle have done? Who would be responsible for the consequences? Going to be interesting when we start having things like this happen and only software programmers to blame.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.