Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Tyre rubbing against the frame

Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Old 06-30-17, 07:26 AM
Mtbrider123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

I have an argon 18 E118 2014 and I'm using a Zipp super 9 clincher rear wheel. The 25mm tyre was rubbing against one of the sides of the frame when I was moving the bike side to side. So I've decided to swap to a 23mm, the problem didn't go away. Does anyone know what's wrong? (The wheel is tightly fixed) the weird thing is, is that this is happening in only 1 side.

Thanks
Old 06-30-17, 07:59 AM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtbrider123
Hi Guys,

I have an argon 18 E118 2014 and I'm using a Zipp super 9 clincher rear wheel. The 25mm tyre was rubbing against one of the sides of the frame when I was moving the bike side to side. So I've decided to swap to a 23mm, the problem didn't go away. Does anyone know what's wrong? (The wheel is tightly fixed) the weird thing is, is that this is happening in only 1 side.

Thanks
Providing actual useful information makes it much easier to get an answer. Pictures? Videos? Is the wheel centered in the dropouts? Is there side-to-side rim movement? Has it always been this way? Was the wheel badly dished?
Old 06-30-17, 10:22 AM
Mtbrider123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://ibb.co/gx9eYQ
Originally Posted by mulveyr
Providing actual useful information makes it much easier to get an answer. Pictures? Videos? Is the wheel centered in the dropouts? Is there side-to-side rim movement? Has it always been this way? Was the wheel badly dished?

It is centered, the wheel will move and touch the frame if I move it side to side with a lot of force. (The link to the picture is above the quote)

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Mtbrider123; 06-30-17 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-05-17, 08:05 PM
justin70
a big man

Bikes: Trek 4300; Motobecane Vent Noir

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wheel looks centered at the seat stays. Is it centered at the chainstays too? Is this a wheel you've had for awhile that just started rubbing or a new wheel that's rubbed the entire time you owned it? Is it only rubbing when you stand and really push hard by leaning the bike? How much do you weigh?
Old 07-06-17, 11:48 AM
Mtbrider123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by justin70
Wheel looks centered at the seat stays. Is it centered at the chainstays too? Is this a wheel you've had for awhile that just started rubbing or a new wheel that's rubbed the entire time you owned it? Is it only rubbing when you stand and really push hard by leaning the bike? How much do you weigh?
It is centered everywhere. It only rubs when I'm standing or pushing hard on a hill and the wheel is brand new, 0 km on it. My weight is 58kg
Old 07-06-17, 11:56 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3741 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 765 Posts
That's what happens when you buy a wheel from walmart https://www.walmart.com/ip/Zipp-Supe...&wl13=&veh=sem

Old 07-06-17, 12:50 PM
mulveyr 

https://ibb.co/gx9eYQ

It is centered, the wheel will move and touch the frame if I move it side to side with a lot of force. (The link to the picture is above the quote)

[IMG][/IMG]
While that's a tight clearance, it's not unusually so. Personally, I'd try another wheel and see if it's the frame that's flexing enough to cause it to touch, or the wheel. If you don't have a spare, you can likely ask a bike shop to let you borrow a beater wheel for a little bit to see what happens.
Old 07-06-17, 01:13 PM
Mtbrider123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While that's a tight clearance, it's not unusually so. Personally, I'd try another wheel and see if it's the frame that's flexing enough to cause it to touch, or the wheel. If you don't have a spare, you can likely ask a bike shop to let you borrow a beater wheel for a little bit to see what happens.
It's not a tight fit (might look like it on the picture). I've tried a different wheel and there's no rubbing. So does that mean that there's something wrong with the hub?
Old 07-06-17, 01:17 PM
mulveyr 

It's not a tight fit (might look like it on the picture). I've tried a different wheel and there's no rubbing. So does that mean that there's something wrong with the hub?
Could be an issue with the hub. Could be spokes that are so badly tensioned they're shifting back and forth under hard side loads ( admittedly an extremely distant possibility, but I've seen some fascinating examples of terrible wheels that nonetheless still get ridden come into our coop. )

Really, just take it into a shop. They should be able to tell you in a minute as to what's going on.
Old 07-07-17, 08:03 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
Could be an issue with the hub. Could be spokes that are so badly tensioned they're shifting back and forth...
Isn't that Zipp Super 9 a disc wheel? I was thinking a problem with the hub too. Perhaps the axle bearing nuts are not adjusted properly...i.e. super loose.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 07-07-17 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-08-17, 03:23 PM
Mtbrider123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Isn't that Zipp Super 9 a disc wheel? I was thinking a problem with the hub too. Perhaps the axle bearing nuts are not adjusted properly...i.e. super loose.

Dan
Yes it's a disc. I've just sent it back to Zipp, will see what they'll say.