Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-18, 10:30 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
Yeah, I take some heart in that he really believes I do not need a root canal and that the pain was caused by the bite being high on the crown, something which I couldn't really feel while numbed at the install.

The two weeks of temporary crown weren't bad at all, so the nerve was OK then. The crown went in and after a day or two it felt fine, so the nerve was OK then. Then it started building...

Last night was agony, but this morning it feels like a 4/10 without the sharp sharp pains so the plan is to take a **** ton of advil and see if it's actually improving but there is, again, some hope.
I have 11 crowns, some of which were do-overs from previous dentists. The guy I have been using for like 20 years has never caused me pain and I think he knows his stuff, stays up on all new technology, and he really seems to care.
I hope he gets it figured out for you.
Old 03-14-18, 06:11 PM
rideaz

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question for SoCal people or anyone who has ridden Palomar mtn: is there anywhere to get water at the top or the observatory? Thx
Old 03-14-18, 06:28 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Yes. There's a restaurant and a little store at the top
Old 03-14-18, 06:47 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked 3,149 Times in 1,657 Posts
There's also a hose on the side of the shop as well, worst case scenario
Old 03-14-18, 07:03 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by rideaz
Question for SoCal people or anyone who has ridden Palomar mtn: is there anywhere to get water at the top or the observatory? Thx
The general store up there would be the place to go. I ate once at the little restaurant but I was way too cooled down by the time I got going, and the descent doesn't warm you up much.

There's also a post office up there.

My typical stop was to go to the general store, get some snacks/fluids and a post card, write something to the Missus, mail it at the post office, then head on down.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 03-14-18, 07:11 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Finally got a new mtb. It's big and has a lot of adjustments. I hope to get it on the dirt soon but since it's actually raining here I might have to stick to the road for now.

SixFifty 6600+ - KHS Bicycles
Old 03-14-18, 09:47 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Many times. Me and junior. Mothers Kitchen at the top. A water spout near the top (just finish). Cell signal is bad. Start at the Taco Shop, or park down the road.

This is the Strava segment.
https://www.strava.com/segments/273807

There is a not so bad Mexican restaurant at the start of this. This is the better start IMO.
https://www.strava.com/segments/10936126

If you want a longer ride go down the East grade. Or ride to the telescope.
But Mothers kitchen at the top is generally the finish.

I have a number of videos over time. Here is one from less than a year ago starting at the Mexican Restaurant. The finish is 100 yards from the restaurant and store at the top.

I can find pictures, but there is a mini-tradition to take a pic of the bike by the restroom at the top after each ride. At least that is what the juniors did.

Last edited by Doge; 03-14-18 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-14-18, 10:06 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you are going up the south grade, there's an artesian spring where you can get fresh, clean (really good!) water about a mile before the top, maybe less. it will be on the left-hand side (downhill side) of the road as you are turning to the right.

this can be valuable on a hot day--you don't have to carry too much.

that is... if you want free and really good.
Old 03-14-18, 10:18 PM
carpediemracing 

The snow a couple days ago kept the bigwigs away. So we got all dolled up for nothing, although now the shop is nice and clean.

I was tempted to go home with my head hung low, muttering about how I called out the IT flaws and got fired. But I couldn't do it.

The Missus did shoot down my idea of buying a 1993 BMW 318i to drive for a bit before doing an LS (Chevy V8) swap. Actually she didn't shoot down the idea of the BMW with the swap idea, she specifically shot down buying a specific BMW for sale in the area in the next couple days. Need to get the Sentra legal first.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 03-15-18, 05:05 AM
rideaz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info guys! Might try it this weekend, depending on weather.
Old 03-15-18, 08:07 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Thanks for the info guys! Might try it this weekend, depending on weather.
There's also Onyx Summit, Forest Falls, or Oak Glen just outside of Redlands. The problem is all those climbs (except Oak Glen) are going to be around 32 degrees near the summit.
Old 03-15-18, 12:58 PM
rideaz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
There's also Onyx Summit, Forest Falls, or Oak Glen just outside of Redlands. The problem is all those climbs (except Oak Glen) are going to be around 32 degrees near the summit.
Thanks! I almost signed up for the Strada Rossa gravel ride in Redlands this weekend, I've saved the files for a later date. I'm staying in Oceanside so I figure it's a good chance to do Palomar :-)
Old 03-15-18, 05:29 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
wow wow wow

got the root canal.

I didn't know how good I had it until 96 hours of excruciating pain put it into perspective.

I am so thankful to have decent coverage and enough money to afford something like this without it straining or adding to the stress. I hope we see some systemic reform soon. I cannot imagine going through what I was dealing with if I weren't able to not care about the costs.
Old 03-15-18, 05:58 PM
Doge

Thanks! I almost signed up for the Strada Rossa gravel ride in Redlands this weekend, I've saved the files for a later date. I'm staying in Oceanside so I figure it's a good chance to do Palomar :-)
I'm happy to plan your routes :-) I did that for another poster here - just PM.

My wife and I normally ride to PX in the Marine base Sat AM (3 miles from Oceanside). You need ID to get on base. There are some good group rides Sat through the base and they are not too crazy, and end a mile from my place.

Palomar on Sat or Sunday will have the motor bikes. A Monday would be a lot nicer day to ride.
Old 03-15-18, 06:03 PM
carpediemracing 

Double Peak is very close by, in San Marcos, and it's featured in the Waffle ride. Not very long, definitely a max effort for me. Gradual climb to the park, fun descending on the way back.

If you do Palomar and you ride out there, don't go to the Nate Harrison road. That's a dirt/gravel road that's really steep, so steep that I couldn't get traction with my road bike. I have no idea what it is after the first mile of dirt because that's where I'd turn around. I figured out after two tries in two days that it was the wrong road. The correct "steep/switchback" climb is out of Rincon, 76 (mainly curving) to S6 (switchbacks).

There's a slightly nutty climb nearby, which you can use to get to/from Palomar, Cole Grade Rd. It was used in Tour of CA once. I'm not keen on riding up as there are some narrow shoulders and blind spots, but it's worse going up Valley Center Rd, which has 18 wheelers and not much more shoulder, plus sometimes there's little sand-slides and you have to ride further out in the road. Both are very fast descents.

Lake Wohlford is a nice road, the climb is on the Escondido side, but overall a pleasant connector road. Not as fast a descent.
Old 03-15-18, 06:06 PM
rideaz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge

My wife and I normally ride to PX in the Marine base Sat AM (3 miles from Oceanside). You need ID to get on base. There are some good group rides Sat through the base and they are not too crazy, and end a mile from my place.

Palomar on Sat or Sunday will have the motor bikes. A Monday would be a lot nicer day to ride.
I will take you up on that! My son is stationed on CP. I usually do the Swamis Saturday ride but thought I'd check out Palomar as I'm driving back to AZ on Saturday. I'll be out there next month for BWR and might stay for the week after so I'll PM you before that!
Old 03-15-18, 06:10 PM
rideaz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Double Peak is very close by, in San Marcos, and it's featured in the Waffle ride. Not very long, definitely a max effort for me. Gradual climb to the park, fun descending on the way back.

If you do Palomar and you ride out there, don't go to the Nate Harrison road. That's a dirt/gravel road that's really steep, so steep that I couldn't get traction with my road bike. I have no idea what it is after the first mile of dirt because that's where I'd turn around. I figured out after two tries in two days that it was the wrong road. The correct "steep/switchback" climb is out of Rincon, 76 (mainly curving) to S6 (switchbacks).

There's a slightly nutty climb nearby, which you can use to get to/from Palomar, Cole Grade Rd. It was used in Tour of CA once. I'm not keen on riding up as there are some narrow shoulders and blind spots, but it's worse going up Valley Center Rd, which has 18 wheelers and not much more shoulder, plus sometimes there's little sand-slides and you have to ride further out in the road. Both are very fast descents.

Lake Wohlford is a nice road, the climb is on the Escondido side, but overall a pleasant connector road. Not as fast a descent.
Thanks so much for the info! I'll be riding up double peak next month as part of the BWR again! I saw Nate Harrison rd and thought it looked cool so I messaged a friend that I saw on the strava leaderboard and he filled me in. Will have to bring the gravel bike out sometime to tackle that one.
Old 03-15-18, 07:16 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I will take you up on that! My son is stationed on CP. I usually do the Swamis Saturday ride but thought I'd check out Palomar as I'm driving back to AZ on Saturday. I'll be out there next month for BWR and might stay for the week after so I'll PM you before that!
My wifes cousin is divorcing his wife in Phoenix and is living in the family vacation home in Carlsbad. Roll by there and kick his ass out for me!
Old 03-15-18, 09:20 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyone that saw that ride said it was insane to have ridden out and back on 74. I didn't mind it.
Old 03-15-18, 10:18 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by tetonrider
Everyone that saw that ride said it was insane to have ridden out and back on 74. I didn't mind it.
Off 74. Can remember if you did this.
As I live in the past and through others...
Some 2X WC and Hall of fame riders on the same route.
Here are some great people, great contributors riding with kid.
There are still super secret routes in SoCal few ride and should not be ridden alone (unless you are good with big cats).
Old 03-15-18, 10:30 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Off 74. Can remember if you did this.
As I live in the past and through others...
Some 2X WC and Hall of fame riders on the same route.
Here are some great people, great contributors riding with kid.
There are still super secret routes in SoCal few ride and should not be ridden alone (unless you are good with big cats).
https://youtu.be/WLhplrpI-6c
the cover photo on that video looks familiar.

i rode up 74, down to lake elsinore, up and around elsinore peak (i think) and across some FS roads/broken pavement/remote stuff... then back down 74. I was Ok with it, but traffic on 74 was pretty heavy at times -- even when I was going pretty fast downhill on twisty roads some cars were... impatient.

was ~ 100 miles. 90+ degrees. Definitely had less supplies than I'd like but that's OK.

https://www.strava.com/activities/931180780

*I* was fine with it--thought it was a great solo ride, and the remote terrain was cool (little unnerving as I had a need to get back by a specific time and once on the FS roads it wasn't super clear that I was heading the right way).

other people i spoke with thought it was insane to ride 74. *shrug* that part probably should have a caveat so people know what they're getting into.

once again--thank you for the suggestion!
Old 03-15-18, 10:51 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by tetonrider
the cover photo on that video looks familiar.

i rode up 74, down to lake elsinore, up and around elsinore peak (i think) and across some FS roads/broken pavement/remote stuff... then back down 74. I was Ok with it, but traffic on 74 was pretty heavy at times -- even when I was going pretty fast downhill on twisty roads some cars were... impatient.

was ~ 100 miles. 90+ degrees. Definitely had less supplies than I'd like but that's OK.

https://www.strava.com/activities/931180780

*I* was fine with it--thought it was a great solo ride, and the remote terrain was cool (little unnerving as I had a need to get back by a specific time and once on the FS roads it wasn't super clear that I was heading the right way).

other people i spoke with thought it was insane to ride 74. *shrug* that part probably should have a caveat so people know what they're getting into.

once again--thank you for the suggestion!
That is off 74. Your ride was epic, but more trafficked. Next time this route. As I recall you wanted to start and end on the bike, so you did it the harder way. Unfortunately, SoCal rides often require driving to the start. I'm sure similar to other urban areas.

Last edited by Doge; 03-16-18 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-16-18, 06:31 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
wow wow wow

got the root canal.

I didn't know how good I had it until 96 hours of excruciating pain put it into perspective.

I am so thankful to have decent coverage and enough money to afford something like this without it straining or adding to the stress. I hope we see some systemic reform soon. I cannot imagine going through what I was dealing with if I weren't able to not care about the costs.
Did they prescribe you pain killers? Did they give you any opiates? If so, I encourage you to avoid taking them if possible. (We do a lot of work on opioid and heroin addiction here.)

My wife had surgery a few weeks ago, and I made her use only Advil.
Old 03-16-18, 07:28 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Did they prescribe you pain killers? Did they give you any opiates? If so, I encourage you to avoid taking them if possible. (We do a lot of work on opioid and heroin addiction here.)

I had my torus mandibularis removed about 2 years ago. They cut a flap inside the lower gum line and ground (not laser, mostly drill) out the bone growing in where my tongue lives. The healing was slow with exposed bone and it was semi-major, not-sure-I-should-have-done-it surgery. I seriously doubt my pain was that of a tooth nerve, as there are not a lot of nerves in bone - except on the way to the teeth. But still, it hurt.
Dr offered me some of that stuff with fancy brand names and laughed when I mentioned I was going to use a tested multi thousand year old pain killer - alcohol. I did take some ibuprofen to keep swelling down. We discussed the side effects of the two together, alcohol vs opioid addiction and he thought my solution was the better one "if you can endure the pain". As I said, it was not a tooth, I'm sure pain was less. I wonder how many non-drinkers would rather take an opiate than a couple shots of a spirit.
Old 03-16-18, 08:59 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro

When I punctured my lung they gave me Oxycontin, I didn't like the fog it created (which is the only way I can describe it).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.