Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 05-17-18, 03:30 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
Any more crap and you could be on an episode of Hoarders.

crapediemracing
Old 05-17-18, 07:46 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Check Amazon for stuff, and even the Zwift Racers Facebook group. They have some good ideas and cheap items out there. I'd also recommend cleaning that box!

Also, it wouldn't hurt to say hi in Zwift. I've lined up twice with you in races and was screaming your name to no avail.
I'm sorry about the Zwift thing. Generally I have music for sound and pro bike racing for visuals. I have zero volume on Zwift, only look at the screen to get some reference points (sometimes I've ridden through the sprint zone inadvertently because I haven't looked very much), etc. Even direct messages disappear quickly. I'll need to be a bit more aware.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 05-17-18, 07:48 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by Flatballer
Those pictures are giving me anxiety.
Sorry

It's worse now, jamming all the stuff from the storage shelves into the room through that doorway. And upstairs, and in the office.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 05-17-18, 07:56 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
Here's my bike cave setup at the moment, currently have my cx bike on the trainer. To the left of my bike is an old dresser we used as a tv stand and now serves as a side table for me, plus I put a portable AC on the stand during the summer. Makes for a good place to leave stuff within reach. Currently using my wife's macbook air for zwifting (better graphics than my ancient core2duo desktop now there), and I sometimes use that old vizio tv on the green filing cabinet as a monitor for zwifting purposes, although it's just for visual distraction, as I train indoors with trainerroad from my ipad. My wife recently got some cheap workout tiles and I really like them, except they are a bit light so they are already dented from the trainer and bike shoes. Overall, pretty happy with this setup, would love a better PC of my own (12 years is pretty long in the tooth, but it really runs fine for the vast majority of things I do) but that's nitpicking and I'm not super serious about the zwifting at the moment.
< snipped images>
I have similar mats, maybe 15 or so of them, all ruined now. I think I'll just put a thin rug on top of vinyl tile.

For storage I'm thinking the simple geometric pieces from IKEA. We have Expedit stuff, it's been udpated to a new version of the same, and it's solid, easy to anchor to the wall, and holds a lot of stuff. Done right a monitor could sit in the middle somewhere, there could be doors or solid drawer fronts, etc.

The monitor tip is huge. I want a larger monitor (mainly for the driving game set up, not for Zwift) and $180 is doable for a close to 40" screen. I "train" with the driving, lift to exhaustion then do some driving. It really helps with karting, I can go 3 hours and be barely fatigued now.

I run Zwift on an new-old machine. I bought the parts for a "main" PC (server with a lot of storage, usable for some video games) back in 2008 or so, never built it. Finally put it all together last year for Zwift, with a new video card. Works well enough for me.
Old 05-17-18, 07:56 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by gsteinb
crapediemracing
Old 05-18-18, 05:20 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
basement's as full of junk as most posts.

hoogerland forever going into that wire, too.
Old 05-21-18, 08:34 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
I'm in desperate need of an entire refresh of my bib short lineup, all of them are falling apart and, I suspect, not that good to begin with. I have some lower end pairs of demarchi and santini, and a not so old pair of capo shorts, which are just ok, but seems like there are spots in the chamois where it doesn't provide much support and creates hotspots. Definitely want to try some higher end stuff and see what works best, especially for indoor purposes, since I do so much inside.
Old 05-21-18, 03:47 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
I don't want to race much anymore. I don't think I'm going to next year. It was fine training and stuff when my wife was at home with the little kid, but once she started working again a month or two ago, things are just so much busier and more hectic. And then I feel guilty leaving to train or race. And my results suck. I haven't cracked the top 6 in a race yet. And I haven't done a single ride over 3 hours since March, and only 4-5 rides over 1:45. Probably why my results suck.

Schools out in four days, so hanging on hoping that'll turn things around for the summer races, but pretty much decided I'll be about done by August when school starts again.

My pity party for the week.
Old 05-21-18, 04:24 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I don't want to race much anymore. I don't think I'm going to next year. It was fine training and stuff when my wife was at home with the little kid, but once she started working again a month or two ago, things are just so much busier and more hectic. And then I feel guilty leaving to train or race. And my results suck. I haven't cracked the top 6 in a race yet. And I haven't done a single ride over 3 hours since March, and only 4-5 rides over 1:45. Probably why my results suck.

Schools out in four days, so hanging on hoping that'll turn things around for the summer races, but pretty much decided I'll be about done by August when school starts again.

There's more to life than racing bikes. I haven't lined up in a few years, and only ride a couple times a year at this point, sometimes none at all. I haven't been on the bike in about 20 months probably.

It'll come back when life calms down, or maybe not and you'll find another hobby. I know I'm not very motivational. Sorry.

I got to a similar point as you though. My wife wants me to ride, but I feel guilty leaving her with the kids right now. Maybe once they get a bit older and things calm down, ya know? The bike will be there, your kids are only young once and it goes fast.
Old 05-21-18, 07:36 PM
carpediemracing 

When it works for you it'll work for you.

You can take heart in doing races just to do them, or sharing some knowledge with less experienced riders, closing a gap for a friend or teammate, etc. Even races where I last just 2 laps it's okay. I get to say hi to some friends, I help a fellow promoter out, and I have some new goals in mind for the next one. It may be that you can write off this year and start thinking about next season, in whatever form that may be.

I'm lucky that I have a supportive spouse, and a kid that just assumes I will always race. The Missus can see when I'm suffering in races and hurts for me just as much as she sees when I'm good in them and celebrates with me. I got shelled in 2 laps last Friday, and on Sunday it was all I could do to finish a race where I averaged 148w. I hurt so much I sat up in the sprint, letting 4 guys go by me, placing 11th, because I was just so cooked. Her first response was asking me how I stayed in for the last 40 minutes of the race. Her second was to say that I need to make more time to ride, even if it means leaving some other stuff aside.

Without support from the other side it'll be hard and maybe impossible. But with some support, and some lowering of expectations, you can enjoy the sport if you want.
Old 05-21-18, 07:42 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
I'm in desperate need of an entire refresh of my bib short lineup, all of them are falling apart and, I suspect, not that good to begin with. I have some lower end pairs of demarchi and santini, and a not so old pair of capo shorts, which are just ok, but seems like there are spots in the chamois where it doesn't provide much support and creates hotspots. Definitely want to try some higher end stuff and see what works best, especially for indoor purposes, since I do so much inside.
velocio!
Old 05-22-18, 08:11 AM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

been there. living that. our first child was born 2007, and second in 2011. i found it doable to train 10 to 12 hrs/week through about 2010, then 8 to 10 from then until 2015. it required a lot of indoor training time that was from 5 am to 630 am. racing in the Wash DC area was advantageous in that I could limit my drive time for races to 2 hours and still race as much as i wanted to from March through August, but I was definitely "missing" a lot of the kid's growing up and missing really valuable family time. my wife was super supportive, but i definitely understand the "guilty" feeling, and as my kids got older and started playing soccer/field hockey, etc., I realized that I valued participating in their childhood more than extending my own. I definitely miss the fitness I used to have, the anticipation of "race day," and being part of the scene, but it's all good.

There are some who bring their whole family to race day, and everyone seems to have a good time, but that never worked for me. it can be done, but is situation dependent.

I've attempted a half-assed comeback this year following a time crunched program of about 6 hours/week, but I haven't responded to it in a manner that = actual race fitness. I haven't jumped into a 1/2 race, couldn't really imagine doing so, but have done a couple of 35/45+ races that I was totally dropped hard ... half these 35+ guys were juniors when I started, HTF did they end up 35+ so quickly!? BUT, i've enjoyed the races I've done for the anticipation of race day, being part of the scene (which is really seeing people), and the adrenaline rush of simply riding the bike fast in a pack.

Bottom line - if you like racing, you'll find a way to maintain some level of fitness, but may require adjusting expectations, which is a big mental shift. Also, horses for courses, pick the races that suit your natural characteristics. Racing 1/2 is hard, if you're old enough, swallowing the ego of having a single/double digit # and attempting some masters stuff can be a good substitute, but those guys are fast too!
Old 05-22-18, 08:26 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts

This makes me sad.

..but I understand. Racing on the razor of Cat 1 is a full time job on top of a full time job, and you have to omit everything else in your life to be successful at it. That takes a toll, especially with a wife and kids. Endurance sports in general are just too taxing both mentally and physically for most to sustain for years, its not like beer league softball; there's a huge time commitment and performance always wavers. Hopefully if you do take a break stick around here, this forums losing too many talented racers as is.
Old 05-22-18, 12:23 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I hear you. I field endless "come do this race, that race..." stuff from everyone. Teammates, group ride dudes, etc... Meanwhile I know full well they'd quit racing if they had 1 kid, much less twins. It is (unintentional on their part) crazy frustrating.

I'm burning the candle at both ends, the middle, and it's resting on a hotplate.
Old 05-22-18, 12:26 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
velocio!
kind of them to use a model with a dadbod
Old 05-22-18, 12:35 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by Ygduf
I hear you. I field endless "come do this race, that race..." stuff from everyone. Teammates, group ride dudes, etc... Meanwhile I know full well they'd quit racing if they had 1 kid, much less twins. It is (unintentional on their part) crazy frustrating.

I'm burning the candle at both ends, the middle, and it's resting on a hotplate.
racing is dumb, yo
Old 05-22-18, 12:43 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i used to race quite a bit (+ lots of travel required because the closest road races to me were 4+ hours away) but last year raced not at all, and this year might be headed for the same. a growing child, feeling like i've lost half a step due to cumulative effects of some heavy injuries, the prospect of winding up in the hospital after a race, and a few other things have contributed.

out of curiosity, do you train to race, or do you race to train?

when you race, are you there to win, or is there more to the experience for you?

your answers will affect what i say next.

[i continue to race a full schedule for nordic skiing throughout the winter, but the general travel for that is far less than for road racing.]
Old 05-22-18, 12:51 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Yeah. My proper mass start stuff is about done. Switching disciplines and will focus on hill climbs and give time trials a shot. Three surgeries, head trauma, and all the broken ribs...time for something other than that.
Old 05-22-18, 03:31 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts

racing is dumb, yo
no you

my race videos
Old 05-22-18, 03:59 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Yeah. My proper mass start stuff is about done. Switching disciplines and will focus on hill climbs and give time trials a shot. Three surgeries, head trauma, and all the broken ribs...time for something other than that.
see, I'd like to believe I could learn before the bad parts, but I'm here after 2 surgeries and innumerable close calls.
Old 05-22-18, 04:20 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by Ygduf
see, I'd like to believe I could learn before the bad parts, but I'm here after 2 surgeries and innumerable close calls.
Third one did me in.
Old 05-22-18, 04:25 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
no you
Wisdom
Old 05-22-18, 07:23 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Racing isn't dumb.

Its the excessive training and weight/nutrition management and sleeping a lot and then not sleeping enough and driving all over the state and lack of social life and other life experiences that are dumb.

I just like riding my bike when I want as hard or easy as I want and as long or short as I want.
Old 05-22-18, 08:35 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Not racing, but an alternative for me...I got picked in the lottery for LOTOJA. I'm doing the sportive, M65+. Pretty pumped to do this.

Demain, on roule!
Old 05-23-18, 12:42 AM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
Not racing, but an alternative for me...I got picked in the lottery for LOTOJA. I'm doing the sportive, M65+. Pretty pumped to do this.
word is that for the first time ever, everyone got in -- no one was refused.

i think it's a sign of reduced demand for road events in general.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.