Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Funny heckling

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-18, 07:12 PM
SlvrDragon50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I had a girl yell "nice ass" to me as I was biking back from the gym. I was wearing gym shorts, not sure how she saw anything.
Old 11-05-18, 07:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,992 Times in 2,664 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I did not read sincerity in his voice.

Trust me, no one would have a fetish FOR the cargo shorts over mismatched sweat pants look unless they have a "these are the last clothes left on a desert island" fantasy.
Hey people are into whacky stuff...go the positive route and just take it as a win...hahahaha.
Old 11-05-18, 07:39 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,992 Times in 2,664 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Ummmmm! Circle gets the square.
Yeah pretty much. Said in Paul Lind's voice of course ; )
Old 11-05-18, 08:05 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
"Hey, Eddy" shouted by another cyclist as a Rottweiler came charging across a farmyard as we passed.
Old 11-05-18, 08:22 PM
mtbikerinpa
Shimano Certified

Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Myosmith
"Hey, Eddy" shouted by another cyclist as a Rottweiler came charging across a farmyard as we passed.
One tried to take my shoe too... At least it was an armored mtb shoe.
Old 11-06-18, 07:01 AM
steve0257

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Raleigh Tourist

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I did not read sincerity in his voice.

Trust me, no one would have a fetish FOR the cargo shorts over mismatched sweat pants look unless they have a "these are the last clothes left on a desert island" fantasy.
Please refer to rule 34 of the internet.
Old 11-06-18, 07:53 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by ollo_ollo
Coasting down a steep hill in my best aero tuck, a pedestrian yells "Go Eddy, Go". Bike was orange & I was wearing a white cycling cap with no helmet. Had to be a cyclist who didn't feel like scolding me. Don
The walker gets mad kudos for picking Eddy and not Lance. I bet it's a fellow rider on foot that day.
Old 11-06-18, 08:17 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy
Didn't happen to me, but a friend I used to work with who was just commuting on his bike. Going home, on a dorky bike, wearing completely normal/dorky non-cycling clothes, standing on the sidewalk at a light waiting for it to change - some lady in an SUV driving by slowly, yells "Hey, F you, buddy" for no reason whatsoever. Bewildering - you just can't do anything but laugh in that situation.
I have had that happen more than once, and I was simply, "Huh????"
Old 11-06-18, 01:51 PM
swampboy62
hermit

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My pavement bike was in the shop, so when I wanted to go for a ride on the rail trail I used my mtb.

Saw an older rider, maybe 70, stopped along the trail adjusting his seat. As I went by he said in a perfectly conversational voice 'Flat bars rule."

I looked back and he was looking the other way, still messing with his bike. Got a laugh out of that.
Old 11-06-18, 06:33 PM
LifeNovice1
Banned.

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
I live in Whitetrash-ville so when people see someone on a cheap mountain bike they just assume the rider got too many DUIs or are just too poor to afford a car. I think my milk crate pannier and cargo shorts kinda complete the look.
Old 11-06-18, 07:47 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I had a pickup truck slowly pass me on a rolling country road in twilight. The passenger said, "on your left" as they passed.

I had an SUV roll down the window and offer me a ride during a not-too-bad thunderstorm commute home. Not really funny I guess, but chatting waiting for the light it turned out they were taking their puppy out for a ride to listen to some cool jazz and learn not to fear the thunder. Best I've got, and after @Phil_gretz it ain't much. Classic!
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 11-07-18, 08:09 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531

I had an SUV roll down the window and offer me a ride during a not-too-bad thunderstorm commute home. Not really funny I guess, but chatting waiting for the light it turned out they were taking their puppy out for a ride to listen to some cool jazz and learn not to fear the thunder. Best I've got, and after @Phil_gretz it ain't much. Classic!
And as the puppy learns to associate riding in the SUV with being terrorized by thunder....

Seriously, I've had some really nice chats with drivers at intersections. I always try to remember that when somebody else screams nasties at me.
Old 11-08-18, 12:10 AM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
On the one day I forgot my helmet, I had two incidents. Mind you, I was about 65 years old at the time with white/gray hair and due for my semi-annual haircut - it was pretty long. First, a carload of high school girls drove by and yelled “Nice hair!” Of course, I was gasping pretty much, so I just waved. A little bit later at a stop light, a little girl, maybe five years old, says to me out of her car window, “Hey mister, I really like your hair.” And then I got a haircut.
Old 11-08-18, 09:39 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
One hot Summer day during my commute home from work, a carload of teenaged boys yelled some butthed remarks about: Geezers, Gray hair and bicycles. I caught up at a red light and spent the long wait chatting with a pretty, young, blonde in the Porsche just in front of their car. They grew quiet, then gave me a "thumbs up" as we left. Guess they didn't figure out, she was a co-worker Don
Old 11-08-18, 12:52 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
One time around dusk, I had not yet switched my daytime blinking light to steady. Pulling up to a light, these two teenage guys were like, "Oh, thank goodness! We got freaked out by the light and thought you were a cop!"

I've gotten the usual "Hey Lance" and "Aren't you afraid you're going to DIE". The ones that are simultaneously the worst, saddest, and funniest are those that contain slurs that are derogatory either to men with a specific sexual orientation or racial/ethnic groups to which I do not belong. (I happen to be white, and a woman.)
Old 11-09-18, 06:16 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
For the first time ever, someone yelled something out of an SUV that made me laugh. I started my ride this morning when it was just under 40 degrees with a 10 mph headwind, so I was wearing thin sweat pants with cargo shorts over them, full finger gloves, and a rather unattractive jersey/jacket over a long sleeve t shirt. My appearance was definitely function over form.
So, this guy in a SUV going the other way yells out his window at my gray-haired weirdly dressed self "Hey, sexy!". I know it's an insult, but it's just a really good one in the context, so I kind of cracked up.

So, my question is this: Has anyone else had something funny yelled at them while riding? Please no stories about the umpteenth time someone yelled" get off the road" or your witty response to that. Up to now, everything that has ever been yelled at me has been idiotic, so I want to know if there's more than one guy who's actually good at it.
Apparently he thought you were attractive. Which is good for a laugh.
Old 11-09-18, 06:34 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
“You don’t even pay taxes...”
Old 11-09-18, 07:06 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I had a pickup truck slowly pass me on a rolling country road in twilight. The passenger said, "on your left" as they passed.
Ha!

Years ago, I was riding after dark, heading out from a small town on a dark country road, with my new, bright headlights and taillight. Got a "Hey, E.T. !!" from some teens on a front porch.
Old 11-09-18, 08:21 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs
Apparently he thought you were attractive. Which is good for a laugh.
Yeah, I thought it was funny. That's kind of the point of the story. Try to keep up, skippy.

If you're going to go from thread to thread to insult me, I sure hope you can do better than that. Maybe you could spend your time more constructively by starting a gofundme to buy yourself a set of pedals.
Old 11-09-18, 08:33 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by rm -rf
Ha!

Years ago, I was riding after dark, heading out from a small town on a dark country road, with my new, bright headlights and taillight. Got a "Hey, E.T. !!" from some teens on a front porch.
I just want you to know that I totally blame you for the sudden Reese's Pieces craving I'm experiencing.
Old 11-10-18, 10:50 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5997 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
A couple of months ago I had just done some repair work and maintenance on my vintage roadster, including nice looking tyres and a good clean. When I passed a sidewalk cafe shouted he wanted to buy it. I answered that it would be too expensive. It used to be easily confused here for an ordinary old bike, so after all the work I appreciated the recognition.
Old 11-10-18, 01:04 PM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
Back in the 90's I was a "rock n' roller" with long hair down to my buttocks. I also enjoyed cycling, admitted it was a weird combination of sorts.

With my hair typically in a ponytail while riding, I'd get the occasional whistle from male passers by thinking I was of the female sorts.

But the funniest was when a pickup full of guys were coming uo from behind me in a little but of one lane traffic and one guy was being all stupid whistling and saying stuff like "hey baby" and "I can show you what a real man looks like". As they passed by me all his friends died laughing when they saw I was a guy and to make it even better they had to stop in a line of traffic at a 4 way stop and as I rolled past them I coulnt help but ask the guy... "There was sonething you wanted to show me?"

His friends again busted out in laughter again and kept rubbing on him and he just turned beet red and started to get mad...

It was quite funny. Certainly memorable.

-Sean
Old 11-10-18, 05:16 PM
bgraham111

Bikes: 1996 Specialized Hardrock Sport FS, 2011 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2015 GRC-Single Gecko, 2016 Waterford RS-22

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A friend of mine was biking through a rough neighborhood, on a road bike, dressed in road bike clothes.... and someone yelled out "Pedal faster, Lance!"
Old 11-10-18, 09:43 PM
scotton
noodly appendage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts
I was way out in the sticks doing some exploring and stopped at an intersection to look at google maps to figure out where I wanted to go. An old farm truck pulls up and I'm thinking "Great, what knowledge does this guy think I'm lacking". Window rolls down and old boy says "Wanna bottle of water?" Best heckle ever.
Old 11-11-18, 05:41 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by scotton
I was way out in the sticks doing some exploring and stopped at an intersection to look at google maps to figure out where I wanted to go. An old farm truck pulls up and I'm thinking "Great, what knowledge does this guy think I'm lacking". Window rolls down and old boy says "Wanna bottle of water?" Best heckle ever.
I've had a couple of people offer me water on some 90+ degree days. Didn't need it either time, but I loved being asked. Sometimes it's hard to be a misanthrope.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.