Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Fixing flats while on a ride...what do I need?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-26-17, 07:30 AM
daacrusher2001

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,

Just getting back into road biking after many years away. My new bike tires inflate to 120psi - I needed to buy a new pump to inflate to that pressure. I used to have a frame mounted hand pump and would carry an extra tube - never had to use it, but also never rode long distances.

Now, I have a nice road bike, it's fast, and I want to start doing longer rides. I feel like I should carry an extra tube, but what else do I need - can a small frame mounted hand pump inflate my tires to that level (my old one couldn't for sure)? What about tools..anything I should be sure to carry?

Thanks!
Old 06-26-17, 07:34 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
I have this one.

https://www.performancebike.com/weba...FQiLaQodBKoPgw

Old 06-26-17, 07:36 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
a positive can-do attitude
Old 06-26-17, 07:41 AM
Quiglesnbits

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
depending on the tire you have and your rim, you may need tire levers (2 of them) to help get the tire on or off the rim. If you are carrying a pump, you don't need a CO2 inflator and cylinder, but you should look at them to see if that's something you're interested in.

Since you're carrying a spare tube, that will get you through the vast majority of times that something happens, but most stores also sell patch kits that can come in handy if you're out of spare tubes, or if you end up in a really bad way where you flat more than once during a ride.

As a tip, always remember if you get a flat to feel around the inside and outside of the tire, and around the inside of the rim to make sure you've removed anything pointy that might be stuck to your stuff. You'd hate to put in your new tube to have it go flat again from a thorn/nail that's still present.
Old 06-26-17, 07:44 AM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Plus a wrench if your wheels require it. I carry a patch kit in addition to a spare tube. It's minimal to carry and covers you if the new tube is defective or gets poked by the same item that caused the first flat or if you get snake bites on both tires or whatever.
Old 06-26-17, 07:51 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

I carry, CO 2, Pump, 4 Tubes, 1 Spare folding tire, Chain tool, Chain Link.

You can have THREE flats on a ride.

CO 2 is handy when you are tired, in the Sun, Rain, and lack energy.

Old 06-26-17, 08:35 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
A rag or some wet naps to wipe your hands after too.
Old 06-26-17, 08:47 AM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by daacrusher2001
Hi All,

Just getting back into road biking after many years away. My new bike tires inflate to 120psi - I needed to buy a new pump to inflate to that pressure. I used to have a frame mounted hand pump and would carry an extra tube - never had to use it, but also never rode long distances.

Now, I have a nice road bike, it's fast, and I want to start doing longer rides. I feel like I should carry an extra tube, but what else do I need - can a small frame mounted hand pump inflate my tires to that level (my old one couldn't for sure)? What about tools..anything I should be sure to carry?
There's a little guy named Murphy who wrote a law that dictates the following.
A chase crew in a van equipped with tools, spare parts up to and including a whole bike, and of course a compressor.
Now in all seriousness, what tire and tube combo will defeat goat heads without resorting to foamed run flat tires?
Old 06-26-17, 09:12 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Yep, pump, tube, and patch kit (I like Park's). I adore my Lezayne pump, and I'm sure there's a model that you'll like.

Edit: And a pair of tire levers. They're all heavy-duty plastic now, so don't weigh anything.
Old 06-26-17, 09:21 AM
daacrusher2001

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Quiglesnbits
depending on the tire you have and your rim, you may need tire levers (2 of them) to help get the tire on or off the rim. If you are carrying a pump, you don't need a CO2 inflator and cylinder, but you should look at them to see if that's something you're interested in.

Since you're carrying a spare tube, that will get you through the vast majority of times that something happens, but most stores also sell patch kits that can come in handy if you're out of spare tubes, or if you end up in a really bad way where you flat more than once during a ride.

As a tip, always remember if you get a flat to feel around the inside and outside of the tire, and around the inside of the rim to make sure you've removed anything pointy that might be stuck to your stuff. You'd hate to put in your new tube to have it go flat again from a thorn/nail that's still present.
I saw the CO2 inflators, looks much easier than the hand pump. I think I'll get some tire levers and some patch kits.

Ugh...this is such a gadget sport! $1600 bike, and another few hundred for...stuff...
Old 06-26-17, 09:27 AM
Quiglesnbits

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
I saw the CO2 inflators, looks much easier than the hand pump.
I have found it to be that way. I prefer the type that accept a threaded cartridge, but some people like the non-threaded version.

If you go that route, just know that CO2 will bleed through your tubes more quickly than air, so you'll need to pump up your tires the next morning if you ride daily.
Old 06-26-17, 10:48 AM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
I saw the CO2 inflators, looks much easier than the hand pump. I think I'll get some tire levers and some patch kits.

Ugh...this is such a gadget sport! $1600 bike, and another few hundred for...stuff...
While CO2 is handy, the 16g cartridges from the bike shop are REALLY expensive. As an alternative, you can bulk purchase 12g cartridges from any store like Walmart that sells supplies for air rifles or airsoft, often for less than half the price. And 12g is generally enough to get you home, depending on the tire. Just make sure you get an inflator that can take unthreaded cartridges.
Old 06-26-17, 11:04 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
just reminded me I carry between 2-4 of these in my rear rack trunk

nitrile gloves

Old 06-26-17, 11:05 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts

You will also need a pump. Just replace the tube after checking for the cause of the puncture. Patch the tube when you get home or you have a second flat on the ride I'm not a big fan of CO2, but a lot of my riding is touring and a pump is more dependable and I don't need to worry about replenishing CO 2 cartridges.

Last edited by Doug64; 06-26-17 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-26-17, 11:36 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
My new bike tires inflate to 120psi
Do you actually need to run them that high? There's plenty of times where I've only refilled my tires to half of my typical riding pressure, and it's fine to get home on.
What's your bike+rider weight, and what's your tire width?
Old 06-26-17, 11:37 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

I know two riders use 145 PSI

Old 06-26-17, 11:45 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Very handy to have tires and rims that play together nicely - some combinations make it very difficult to remove or replace a tire.
I carry a Topeak RoadMorph pump, a spare tube, plastic levers and self-adhesive patches. Plus other emergency repair stuff not related to flats.
Old 06-26-17, 11:52 AM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
I keep a pair of vinyl gloves in my saddle bag along with the patch kit and spare tube. I also keep a cotton ball in the patch kit box, to run inside the tire to detect any shards that may still be stuck in it. Plus I have a couple folded dollar bills in the kit to use as a tire boot. And a multi-tool with the prerequisite tire levers. The pump is on the frame, so I'm good to go, I think.
Old 06-26-17, 11:54 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I for decades have had a long frame fit pump.. to reach a high pressure you take a larger volume of air and with a long stroke

compress it into a small volume at high pressure, such that its higher PSI than what is already in the tire..

little short stroke ones fit in your jersey pocket but you need to pump a zillion strokes..
Old 06-26-17, 12:15 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I'm a belt-and-suspenders kind of guy. I will carry (at least one) spare tube and a patch kit; a CO2 cartridge and chuck and a mini frame pump. (And tire levers, of course)

First flat gets a new tube and CO2. I can usually be back underway in 5 minutes. Second and subsequent flats (it happens) get a patch and a pump. By that point, I'm probably late anyway.
Old 06-26-17, 12:19 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
I for decades have had a long frame fit pump.. to reach a high pressure you take a larger volume of air and with a long stroke

compress it into a small volume at high pressure, such that its higher PSI than what is already in the tire..

little short stroke ones fit in your jersey pocket but you need to pump a zillion strokes..
That's why you need a telescopic pump
(sorry for the image size)

Old 06-26-17, 12:39 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by Altair 4
I keep a pair of vinyl gloves in my saddle bag along with the patch kit and spare tube. I also keep a cotton ball in the patch kit box, to run inside the tire to detect any shards that may still be stuck in it. Plus I have a couple folded dollar bills in the kit to use as a tire boot. And a multi-tool with the prerequisite tire levers. The pump is on the frame, so I'm good to go, I think.
Yeah, I was going to suggest latex/vinyl gloves but it seemed less environmentally responsible than a rag, or a biodegradable wet nap.
Old 06-26-17, 12:54 PM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I don't bother with patch kits. Tubes are cheap.. why even bother with a patch kit? My Topeak pump is capable of tire pressures above 100psi.. so CO2 is not necessary either.

I take:

frame pump
tubes
latex gloves
levers

Gets the job done.
Old 06-26-17, 01:11 PM
KevinF
Keep on climbing

Bikes: 2004 Calfee Tetra Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My saddlebag contains:
  • One patch kit (that in all my years of riding, I have never ever used). I haven't looked at it in so long the glue is probably dried up.
  • Two inner tubes
  • Three tire levers (I can't get my tires off with one lever, and I've broken levers getting them off in the past).
  • Four CO2 cartridges (just in case I accidentally blow one).

New England roads aren't always "good" (i.e., broken pavement and potholes galore, but proper tire pressure resolves that). However, we don't have the thorns and other debris that many others suffer from.

As mentioned above, the 12g CO2 cartridges are far cheaper than the bike-shop version. I got a box of 25 of them from WalMart or some such years ago. I still haven't used them all. I weigh in at 170, and run my tires at about 100psi, so a 12g cartridge is more than enough to "get home on".

All that said -- the tools don't do any good unless you know how to change the tire in the first place. Practice a round or two at home so you know how to use the levers, know how to use your CO2 inflator, etc.
Old 06-26-17, 01:26 PM
italktocats

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thats what black socks or underwear is for

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.