Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Big head man needs a helmet

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-17, 04:53 PM
lbrown13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, I have a huge head! I need a helmet but don't want to spend tons of money.
I ordered a helmet from Amazon and it says it fits adults. Not sure what adults
it fits but it sits on the top of my head like a yarmulke. Where can I find a huge
helmet at a reasonable price?
Any tips would be appreciated!

Big Head Larry
Old 07-05-17, 05:11 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Big Head needs to go to a big LBS that stocks a big lot of helmets. You'll find some fer shore.

I have a big head, for my massive brain, and I have a couple Giro helmets that are a tad too big. Wow.

Reasonable price? You can't have everything...

This seems pretty dirt cheat me: https://www.bikewagon.com/brands/giro...t-universal-xl

Last edited by FrenchFit; 07-05-17 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-05-17, 05:18 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Measure your head circumference. Most helmets sold online have a fit guide. Or, just bite the bullet and buy a helmet from a bike shop.
Old 07-05-17, 09:15 PM
SirrusEliteDisc
Sirrus Elite Disc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Big Head Larry, you've only got one head. Protect it. Go to the LBS and drop some cash on a helmet that fits. If you buy one that doesn't fit you won't wear it. Lucky for me my LBS had a bunch of styles to choose from. The winner was either number 25 or 26. I went back through all and compared the fit to the one I bought and was amazed at the different helmet shapes.

Good luck !
Old 07-06-17, 01:35 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
I have the same trouble. Specialized helmets seem to do the trick for me. I also have a Giro one that is fine until I want to wear a wool cap underneath it.
Old 07-06-17, 02:26 AM
JagR

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac 2017 - TREK Madone - Cannondale CAPO

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GIRO or Specialized which is a little bigger
Old 07-06-17, 03:32 AM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
What does your head measure ?
And what is your head's shape ?
I too have a fat head and have been frustrated by helmets that are sized to fit the circumference of my head, but don't fiit/feel well. My head is more round, some helmets are more oval shaped. Try to get a more round helmet with an adjustable liner. This is one of those times you have to go to a store and try a few on.
Old 07-06-17, 05:23 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Someone else buying online and complaining about the result. FFS, go to a bike shop and be fitted. People like you are the ones who complain that they can't buy anything local, not realising that the bike shops are struggling (or closing) because of people like you.
Old 07-06-17, 05:40 AM
lbrown13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the input! Please understand that I do value my head/brain.
I just didn't want to invest $500 in a helmet when a $200 one would do just as well.

Originally Posted by europa
Someone else buying online and complaining about the result. FFS, go to a bike shop and be fitted. People like you are the ones who complain that they can't buy anything local, not realising that the bike shops are struggling (or closing) because of people like you.
Please get off your high bicycle and come down here with us regular people.
Where do you think I purchased my bicycle? Where do you think I purchased the bike rack?
Where do you think I purchased the lights? Where do you think I purchased the bottle cages?
I spent about $900 dollars for my bike and accessories.. guess where? The local bike shop!
Now $900 may not seem like much to some people, but you can bet your sweet ass it's a
lot to me.
Old 07-06-17, 05:45 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by lbrown13
I just didn't want to invest $500 in a helmet when a $200 one would do just as well.

Where do you think I purchased my bicycle? Where do you think I purchased the bike rack?
Where do you think I purchased the lights? Where do you think I purchased the bottle cages?
I spent about $900 dollars for my bike and accessories.. guess where? The local bike shop!
Now $900 may not seem like much to some people, but you can bet your sweet ass it's a
lot to me.
Then stop whining about buying online and getting the wrong thing. Go to your bike shop and get fitted properly. Quite frankly, you are NOT valuing your head very highly. Helmets are all different shapes and one size in one brand will fit differently to the same size in another. You have to try them on. In your case, you didn't even get the size right. You're telling us you value the rack, the lights and the accessories higher than your head. Now YOU get off your high bicycle and start thinking about what you're doing.
Old 07-06-17, 05:50 AM
lbrown13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Then stop whining about buying online and getting the wrong thing. Go to your bike shop and get fitted properly. Quite frankly, you are NOT valuing your head very highly. Helmets are all different shapes and one size in one brand will fit differently to the same size in another. You have to try them on. In your case, you didn't even get the size right. You're telling us you value the rack, the lights and the accessories higher than your head. Now YOU get off your high bicycle and start thinking about what you're doing.

Your comments have been duly noted and discarded. Thank you for reminding me that there are ******** all over the world.
Old 07-06-17, 07:54 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
My head is 22.5 in circumference and I wear a Specialized medium and I still have to snug it down. I'm thinking if you got the large, you should be alright. You don't have to spend $200
Old 07-06-17, 08:24 AM
lbrown13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by George
My head is 22.5 in circumference and I wear a Specialized medium and I still have to snug it down. I'm thinking if you got the large, you should be alright. You don't have to spend $200
Thank you!
Old 07-06-17, 08:32 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2996 Post(s)
Liked 1,192 Times in 775 Posts

lot to me.
So you spent $900 on a bicyle and accessories...Now go back to the LBS and spend about $70-$90 on a good helmet. Ordering online and hoping it fits correctly just isn't going to work for you.

I have two Specialized helmets. Paid $90 for one and $40 (on sale) for the other. The one I bought on sale even has the MIPS technology.
Old 07-06-17, 08:32 AM
Tokwan

Bikes: Giant/HARO/ Exitway

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My humble suggestion, please go to the LBS as suggested. Human heads doe not only vary in sizes, they also vary in shapes. Try a few and see which fits you. You MUST be comfortable with your helmet. There should be no pressure that bugs you, especially at your temple area. Is my spelling correct? Temple? The area beside the forehead?
Old 07-06-17, 08:38 AM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts

That's all well and fine unless you actually have a large head; I do, and NOBODY stocks a helmet that will fit a 63cm+ head, like I have. And as you note, heads are different shapes. Whenever I've tried to have a shop order a helmet that will actually fit me, it's invariably the case that they state they won't give a refund if it doesn't fit well, because it would be impossible for them to sell it to someone else. Going to Amazon, on the other hand, means you can make use of their extremely liberal return policy until you find one that fits.

OP: I've used both a Giro Saros in the past for my XXXL head, and it was OK, but the shape wasn't really stellar for my head shape. Then I tried a Garneau Quartz II XL, and it fit absolutely perfectly. Might be worth a shot.
Old 07-06-17, 08:47 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3382 Post(s)
Liked 5,547 Times in 2,878 Posts
Bike Helmets for Large Heads
Old 07-06-17, 10:24 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Liked 517 Times in 355 Posts
My Lazer O2 in XL is just right for me. I sanded down two of the foam ribs a little, where they hit my forehead. And added some EPDM foam weatherstripping tape in a few spots as a better cushion.

Shimano is buying Lazer, so there seems to be some sales on their helmets, before the name change.

Helmet fit really depends on your head shape. Either try them on in the correct size, or be able to return it if it doesn't fit.
Old 07-06-17, 02:49 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
bucket?
Old 07-06-17, 05:34 PM
lbrown13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeesnob
bucket?
Hahaha... not quite!

Thanks everyone! I have one on the way!
Old 07-06-17, 06:39 PM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
I don't even have that huge of a head, 23" or something like that. I have trouble because my head is tall. So far my helmets that fit well are a Bern skate style helmet, as it comes pretty far down around the sides. Also a Giro Foray in large, road style helmet but covers around the sides and back surprisingly well on me. The Giro can go larger than I need it, fits a decent winter hat or cycling cap under it.

Bern helmet sizing is wacky if you get one, I think they changed/fixed it slightly. I wound up getting an XXL I think and it barely works for me.
Old 07-07-17, 03:06 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2501 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 526 Posts
Thanks everyone! I have one on the way!
One what? I can't believe after all that drama you are going to slink off with a lame 'thanks everyone' and no further information. WTF. I gotta say, you do not carry yourself like an outlier cephalic index Mensarian. I am, and do... $35 previous year overstock Giro has served me well for the last 10 years. Its the only helmet I have ever needed, mainly because I use my outlier intellect to avoid situations that might put it in final Jeopardy.
Old 07-07-17, 04:36 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Larry - I work in a Specialized shop. Specialized offers an XL version of their basic helmet called the Max, MSRP is $40. If your local Specialized dealer doesn't have one in stock, they can order one; there are plenty in the warehouse. They also offer large versions of their more expensive helmets which might work for you.

Demain, on roule!
Old 07-08-17, 09:57 AM
lbrown13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the input! I got a bontrager that fits great and it was $40

I was hesitant to put the brand and the price, because I figured someone
would say, "that brand sucks!" "that's all you paid??" "you don' t care about your head!"
BLAH BLAH BLAH

Everybody is a tough guy online!

To the ones that actually provided helpful input, I sincerely appreciate the advice and words
of wisdom.

Have a great day!

Larry
Old 07-08-17, 02:21 PM
Tape2012

Bikes: 2017 Ribble CX5

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Garneau XL from Amazon will fit about anything. There's also a like there to a sizing guide, I used it and it worked perfectly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.