Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1988 Schwinn World Specs

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1988 Schwinn World Specs

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-17, 10:47 AM
kennedy.d

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1988 Schwinn World Specs

Hi all,

I acquired this bike from my friends neighbor last summer. The only mods that I am aware of are new gum tires which I had installed because the old ones were shot, I got the wheels trued, and my friend removed the front brake (poor decision). It has been over a year since the last time I got my spokes trued and I think it is about time I get some new wheels because I live in the city, hit pot holes frequently, and these alloy wheels just aren't holding up. I have attached a few pics from the bike itself. The wheels look like 27 1&1/4" , the bike was made 358th day of either 1988 or 1978, it has 6 rear gear shafts and 2 pedal gear shafts.I know my terminology may be off on the description. Can someone maybe help me with the specs on the wheels I will need to buy/ any recommendations on city riding? I asked for help from the local bike shop and once he realized I wasn't going to buy the wheels from him he become a little short on the information. I got the bike for free so I am looking to spend less than 200 for new wheels.

Thanks,
dk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bike full.jpg (326.1 KB, 76 views)
decal.jpg (603.2 KB, 70 views)
wheel.jpg (1,007.2 KB, 69 views)
tire.jpg (659.7 KB, 67 views)
gear.jpg (1.05 MB, 71 views)

Last edited by kennedy.d; 10-29-17 at 11:04 AM. Reason: add pics
Old 10-29-17, 11:02 AM
norcalmike

Bikes: A bunch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 80 Posts
let's see some full body shots! sorry. missed the other shots on this post

Last edited by norcalmike; 10-29-17 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-29-17, 11:03 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,924 Times in 1,491 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Just a good set of quality alloy wheels should give you good service as long as you take care of them. Look for wheels with 36 spokes and double wall eyelet rims. Do you have 27" or 700c wheels? Using a fatter tire will absorb for bumps and smooth out the ride for you make it better for both the wheels and you.

I am sorry you have to hear this but bike shops don't make money off giving you advice of what to buy off the internet as cheap as you can. Your actually better off spending the extra money to buy the wheels at a bike shop. They will make sure the bearings are properly adjusted, wheels are true and spoke tension even. Most shops will even tune the wheels up for you a time or two as well.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-29-17, 11:07 AM
norcalmike

Bikes: A bunch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 80 Posts
definitely an 88. the world was an entry level bike. in fact it was my first road bike in 85. I wouldn't put too much into it but if you like it and it fits you then 200 bucks isn't bad if it's a keeper. try bigger tires first. you may be able to get away with those weinmanns. I put a set of kenda 27x 1 3/8 knobies on my 84 Trek and they are beefy. I can tackle any pothole almost.

Last edited by norcalmike; 10-29-17 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-29-17, 11:07 AM
kennedy.d

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just posted. had to resize, the file size was too big.
Old 10-29-17, 11:16 AM
kennedy.d

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Welcome to the forums. Just a good set of quality alloy wheels should give you good service as long as you take care of them. Look for wheels with 36 spokes and double wall eyelet rims. Do you have 27" or 700c wheels? Using a fatter tire will absorb for bumps and smooth out the ride for you make it better for both the wheels and you.

I am sorry you have to hear this but bike shops don't make money off giving you advice of what to buy off the internet as cheap as you can. Your actually better off spending the extra money to buy the wheels at a bike shop. They will make sure the bearings are properly adjusted, wheels are true and spoke tension even. Most shops will even tune the wheels up for you a time or two as well.
Complete newbie here, so links to popular/trusted sites where I can buy the tires and rims would be awesome. I am having them installed at the bike shop, just want to save on the wheels by getting them online. didnt know new tires was an option, i thought i was stuck with the wheels and tires based upon my gear size etc. still new to modifying bikes so sorry for the ignorance.

thanks
Old 10-29-17, 11:25 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Those old late 80's Schwinn World bikes are bulletproof. It was one of the nails in the coffin of US bicycle manufacturing. (Everybody suddenly realized Asian bikes were better & cheaper than equivalent US made items).

I've used this set of wheels on similar bikes with good results:

https://www.niagaracycle.com/categor...d-fw-qr-silver
Old 10-29-17, 12:08 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
3588 = Early 1989 bike

+10 Expecting local shop to facilitate internet buy is asking a lot. Head to a co-op instead. Don't spend $200 on wheels either. At the $200 price point, you should be able to get a set of wheels in the form of a higher end bike. Most co ops have wheels, both used and new. The Niagara ones above are fine, just realize they don't come with QR skewers, may not have rim strips either. You kind of get nickeled and dimed on them.

If you came to the co-op I volunteer at, you could get a nice set of used wheels for under $40....

I prefer getting wheels with stainless spokes.

There is no reason you can't learn how to install wheels yourself. Imagine if you got a flat tire while riding. Knowing how to quickly remove wheel, replace tire or tube, is one of those basic skills to master. If you plan to reuse existing freewheel (and why not), the shop or a co-op should be able to remove it for you at a low cost.

+10 Stan's the expert in this regard!!

Last edited by wrk101; 10-29-17 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-29-17, 12:10 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
With an assembly date of 3588, it would have been assembled in late December, 1988, so a 1989 model year bike. Although the 1989 World is featured in the catalog, the model was too low in the lineup to be included on the specifications page.

The OP's bike is a 1989 World in Racing Red (070-29).

1989 Schwinn World catalog page

1989 Schwinn Road Bicycles specifications

EDIT - Bill beat me to it.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 10-29-17, 12:57 PM
kennedy.d

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you everyone. If anyone else has any more recommendations, please post. I will continue to check for a few more days until I make my decision.

Best,
dk
Old 10-29-17, 02:03 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,924 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by kennedy.d
Complete newbie here, so links to popular/trusted sites where I can buy the tires and rims would be awesome. I am having them installed at the bike shop, just want to save on the wheels by getting them online. didnt know new tires was an option, i thought i was stuck with the wheels and tires based upon my gear size etc. still new to modifying bikes so sorry for the ignorance.

Your wheel size is determined by the bike but tires come in different widths and a fatter tire is often better on a commuter. Riding style comes into play to. Avoiding what you can helps as does getting out of the seat and using your arms and legs as shock absorber is very helpful.

thanks
Originally Posted by wrk101
3588 = Early 1989 bike

+10 Expecting local shop to facilitate internet buy is asking a lot. Head to a co-op instead. Don't spend $200 on wheels either. At the $200 price point, you should be able to get a set of wheels in the form of a higher end bike. Most co ops have wheels, both used and new. The Niagara ones above are fine, just realize they don't come with QR skewers, may not have rim strips either. You kind of get nickeled and dimed on them.

If you came to the co-op I volunteer at, you could get a nice set of used wheels for under $40....

I prefer getting wheels with stainless spokes.

There is no reason you can't learn how to install wheels yourself. Imagine if you got a flat tire while riding. Knowing how to quickly remove wheel, replace tire or tube, is one of those basic skills to master. If you plan to reuse existing freewheel (and why not), the shop or a co-op should be able to remove it for you at a low cost.

+10 Stan's the expert in this regard!!
I agree there is no reason the OP shouldn't be able to put wheels on the bike but setting them up, adjusting the axles, swapping the FW, truing etc.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk