Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Recumbent advantages

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Recumbent advantages

Old 12-15-18, 08:50 PM
robnol
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Recumbent advantages

Ive been reading posts about how recumbent are slower on the hills by all the upright riders out there... its true they can be slower on the hills but the uprights refuse to admit how much more aero they are .....I've passed many a paceline on my recumbent.... it seems upright riders can't achieve any real speed or distance solo because of the grossly un aero riding position they ride in.. uprights are better on the hills but recumbent are better on the rest of the road
Old 12-16-18, 11:41 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Plus you have the comfort and the view. I have both a recumbent and a trike. Any more I almost always ride the trike while in town. No unclipping when you stop, and no wobbling around trying to clip in when you ride off. The fact is a trike has to be the most relaxing way to cycle there is.

I find it amazing how many people are still wed to the 1890 DF bike design. It of course is good for single tracking and mountain biking.
Old 12-16-18, 08:03 PM
robnol
Banned

Df bikes riders ride in such an un aero position..... that's why the need to shed every gram possible
Old 12-16-18, 08:31 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
Design

Originally Posted by rydabent
Plus you have the comfort and the view. I have both a recumbent and a trike. Any more I almost always ride the trike while in town. No unclipping when you stop, and no wobbling around trying to clip in when you ride off. The fact is a trike has to be the most relaxing way to cycle there is.

I find it amazing how many people are still wed to the 1890 DF bike design. It of course is good for single tracking and mountain biking.
I always wondered about how the design has not changed much. Just the materials the frame , etc is made from. I always wondered is there a better design more in the line of a running man style, lower and utilizing both the upper body and lower body to propel you. My idea is more of a body suit , or like a custom made suit / wheels and propulsion prosthetic... Some day I will design it. (Some day means never) heheehe
Old 12-17-18, 07:05 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rossiny
I always wondered about how the design has not changed much. Just the materials the frame , etc is made from.
This is a direct result of 1934 UCI regulations, which were intended to eliminate racing advantages based on technology like aerodynamic fairings, unconventional rider positioning, etc. (i.e. recumbents). UCI felt that competition should be between riders and not tech magic. Of course there have been tech developments that have provided a real advantage, but these were within the scope of the UCI rules. These include the requirement that a bike frame have a main triangle with 3 tubes.

It would be interesting to see what might have been if the UCI never adopted these restrictive rules. I'd guess that we'd be seeing a lot more bent riders.
Old 12-17-18, 11:38 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
If restrictive rules were applied to cars trains and airplanes, we would be driving Model Ts, riding trains with steam engines, and flying bi-wing planes.

But the UCI who was bought off by DF MFGs needs only to understand that if riders had a choice, it would be equal if all riders could chose the type of bike for the terrain.
Old 12-17-18, 05:06 PM
robnol
Banned

Uci is ridiculous..... all df bikes are essentially the same no differences other than material or manufacturing process.......rediculous riding position for guys trying to go fast....sooo much air drag
Old 12-17-18, 05:46 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
How come I get passed by so many DF's, then? Ridden by men, women and children, it would seem. In spite of my aero advantage.
Old 12-17-18, 05:54 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by robnol
Ive been reading posts about how recumbent are slower on the hills by all the upright riders out there...
That notion usually sources from the recumbent riders, though, and the DF riders are just repeating what they hear. For example:

uprights are better on the hills
Old 12-17-18, 06:28 PM
robnol
Banned

That's why uprights use the paceline to achieve speed and overcome all the air drag... one guy works hard while the others rest waiting for their turn at the front of the line.....
Old 12-17-18, 06:31 PM
robnol
Banned

Why u get passéd by df riders Is something only u can tell why...,. no amount of aero will make up for a lack of leg muscles or ability
Old 12-17-18, 07:20 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
I always figured that my lowracer was the equivalent of a 3-man paceline of uprights. So, 1-on-1 is my advantage; 5-on-1 is theirs. I've done a 5-on-5 once; we dropped the uprights on a climb. One of them inched past me about 2/3 up, but collapsed into the ditch as soon as he cleared my bike. It was comical.

Most recumbents, including trikes, do not enjoy any aero advantage over a good upright road bike.
Old 12-17-18, 07:34 PM
robnol
Banned

The body is 80%of all air drag.....a lowracers frontal profile is tiny compared to an upright
Old 12-17-18, 10:12 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
If restrictive rules were applied to cars trains and airplanes, we would be driving Model Ts, riding trains with steam engines, and flying bi-wing planes.

But the UCI who was bought off by DF MFGs needs only to understand that if riders had a choice, it would be equal if all riders could chose the type of bike for the terrain.
Don't know of any train-racing organizations, but there are certainly formal racing organizations for cars and airplanes that do impose strict regulations on the competitors (and yes, there is a category for racing biplanes). I've never heard complaints that the existence of these highly regulated competitive events has somehow stunted the development of better designs of the more mundane cars we drive nor of the aircraft used in either general aviation or by the airline industry.

It frankly strikes me as a bit far-fetched that UCI rules which only apply to the tiny fraction of bike riders who engage in the highest levels of racing has somehow prevented new designs of the vast majority of bikes that are sold from the big-box outlets - or even of the smaller volume of sales from bike shops which still would only rarely have customers who are restricted by UCI rules.
Old 12-18-18, 07:09 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

A test for the upright riders here. What is the Hour record for an unfaired bike?
Old 12-18-18, 08:29 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Uci is ridiculous..... all df bikes are essentially the same no differences other than material or manufacturing process.......rediculous riding position for guys trying to go fast....sooo much air drag
Now you're getting it, that's the whole point point. The rules are intended to make the race a contest among the riders rather than the designers. Pretty much all sports have rules regarding equipment. That's all it is.
Old 12-18-18, 08:33 AM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
A test for the upright riders here. What is the Hour record for an unfaired bike?
I'd have to look it up but I know that it's not very high. The rules for riding position keep being tweaked too to make it a contest among the riders rather than among the designers. The thing I'm wondering about is how fast the world record hour rider would be able to ride one of those fully faired human powered vehicles.
Old 12-18-18, 02:55 PM
robnol
Banned

Its half the recumbent time
Old 12-18-18, 03:23 PM
BlazingPedals

Wiggins holds the current UCI record at 54.526 Km. Matthias Konig, a virtual nobody in the cycling world, has 2 recorded times for the Hour that beat Wiggins: 56.696 Km and 57.637 Km. Both were on an M5 highracer. Why is Wiggins in the book under "Unified Hour Record?" Wiggins did it on a bike, Konig did not.
Old 12-19-18, 07:19 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Wiggins did it on a bike, Konig did not.
A recumbent is not a bicycle according to the UCI, that's why.
Old 12-19-18, 04:09 PM
robnol
Banned

Uci is a joke...... the object of a bike race is to go as fast as possible... why does it matter if its on an upright or recumbent
Old 12-20-18, 04:07 AM
Retro Grouch 

Uci is a joke...... the object of a bike race is to go as fast as possible... why does it matter if its on an upright or recumbent
How is that any different than NASCAR or formula 1?
Old 12-20-18, 06:21 AM
robnol
Banned

Really u can't tell the difference between a car race and a bicycle race... were talking about a riding position not fully fairing bikes.... upright df riders need to admit that their riding position is not the fastest
Old 12-20-18, 07:32 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
upright df riders need to admit that their riding position is not the fastest
Why? Who cares?
Old 12-20-18, 07:41 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,560 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
How is that any different than NASCAR or formula 1?
Exactly. Or RAAM vs. UCI vs. whatever the international triathlon governing body is. Different organizations can have whatever rules that they deem fit, including what design of bike that they use.

As a long time recumbent rider (15 years), I'm often amazed that this is even a topic except to breed animosity between recumbentists and upright riders who really don't care until goaded into it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.