Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Talk me out of my really stupid idea (that I really want to do)

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-06, 04:41 PM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Maybe I want to be like Slvoid when I grow up (no offense), maybe I am just having a mid-life crisis; but I want to ride in the freeway. I know, that is assinine, but I absolutley love riding the bike around cars that are stuck in traffic. Irresponsible???? Yes. Quasi-Suicidal???? Perhaps. Still, the idea won't go away. There is a five mile stretch that backs up and rolls along at about 10-20 mph every time there is a snow storm. I could get on, ride along with the cars, exit and be completely gone before anyone can do anything about it.

I really might need some discouragement from this idea.
Old 01-23-06, 04:44 PM
IBreakCellPhone

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have my luck, the day you try is is the day everyone's going 80.
Old 01-23-06, 04:47 PM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IBreakCellPhone
If you have my luck, the day you try is is the day everyone's going 80.
Ha! That is exactly why I am pretty sure it is a stupid idea. If I could be certain of the flow, it would be a given. But with the 1/2 mile+ entrance ramp up a hill and around a corner, there is no telling.
Old 01-23-06, 04:53 PM
osirisdon
hooptie driver

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hell nah man!

Just do it, get it off your chest. Just be carefull. Is it legal in your where-abouts?
Old 01-23-06, 05:16 PM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure. I will have to check on that. Wasn't really one of my concerns. Maybe I am just feeling spunky today.
Old 01-23-06, 05:18 PM
bullethead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've heard that for some people adrenaline is like heroin- let me know how it is.
Old 01-23-06, 05:33 PM
Jarery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take a video cam strapped to your helmet !!!!
Old 01-23-06, 05:38 PM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I could pretty much guarentee that those would be a pretty fast 5 miles. I would need to be able to overtake traffic at 3-5 mph in order to feel safe. I do suppose that a policeman could get out to the right and pace me all the way to the exit and then lay down the law. I need a plan for that.
Old 01-23-06, 06:18 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Sawtooth
Maybe I want to be like Slvoid when I grow up (no offense), ...
Would that not mean - never growing up?
Old 01-23-06, 06:18 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
What the... I was having fun biking around the bridge roadways during the transit strike here and most days, the bridges are packed enough that cars are only going around 30mph anyway but I don't ride on the freeway!

Here, watch this video. https://www.digave.com/videos/monster.mpg
Somewhere around the 5 minute mark, they end up on the freeway, tell me that looks like a good idea...
Old 01-23-06, 06:45 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've ridden on the freeway*. It's no big deal.

* During the 5 boro bike tour when they closed the freeway to car traffic.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 01-23-06, 06:54 PM
Mars
coitus non circum.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Can I have your stuff if anything bad happens?
Old 01-23-06, 06:55 PM
TCNJCyclist
Olé Olé Olé Olé T-C...N-J

Bikes: 1985 Trek 620, 2005 Cannondale R700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I doubt that it would be legal around a major city like Boise. In NJ, bikes are banned from freeways in most sections of the state (with the exception of very rural areas).

A few months ago, some friends of mine got caught out on a ride later than they wanted and decided to ride back on Route 29 since it seemed like the shortest route (two lanes, no shoulder, kind of winding, 50+ mph speed limit). They said it was one of the worst rides ever.

Bike & Build
NJ Bike Map
Old 01-23-06, 06:55 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I want sawtooth's computer.
Old 01-23-06, 07:03 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by slvoid
Here, watch this video. https://www.digave.com/videos/monster.mpg
Somewhere around the 5 minute mark, they end up on the freeway, tell me that looks like a good idea...
But that looked like the safest part of their ride. One guy gets squeezed between a car and a cab in nearly stopped traffic. Riding at night with no lights, fighting head on traffic.

At least on the highway, they were riding the correct direction, and did not split lanes as much, plus no red lights to run or pedetrians to dodge.
Old 01-23-06, 07:03 PM
wagathon
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only way south, along the coast from Orange County to San Diego, is the freeway from Las Pulgas to Oceanside Harbor. It's 5-lanes on each side and moves pretty fast so you'll want to stay on the shoulder unless you want to end up a hairy pizza.

I got a ticket in N. Cal. once for "obstucting a highway." It wasn't until years later when it cropped up and somehow interfered with me renewing my license and by then, I had no idea what it could be about, e.g., no car license and nowhere close to where I live and causing an obstruction didn't ring a bell.

It was a long time after the DMV removed the citation from my driving record that I remembered being hassled by a CHP about bicycling on the highway when there was an alternate bike route available.
Old 01-23-06, 08:01 PM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
Does the freeway have a shoulder? I ride freeways all the time but they have shoulders which are often wider than a lane, so it's relatively safe.
Old 01-23-06, 08:08 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did you see the part of the video where they got buzzed closely by cars on the FDR (the freeway) that were moving pretty quick? While it may look cool, it's actually a pretty stupid idea. The FDR has some tight lanes, the speed limit's 45 mph, but people typically go 60+, lots of blind curves and no breakdown lane at all. It's tough to drive the FDR let alone ride a bike on it w/ traffic.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 01-23-06, 09:36 PM
MarkS

Bikes: Fuji Absolut '04 / Fuji 'Marlboro' Folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If its a real freeway, federally subsidized and all, its hard to believe that it would be legal. You might have gotten away with it before the days of cellular phones, but now you'd find the white and blacks waiting for you as came off the freeway.

Consider also that your presence there might endanger drivers on snow and ice as they brake and skid away.

If you're going to have a midlife crisis, can't you just shave your head, get some tattoos, buy a gold watch and chain, and have a tawdry pointless affair with someone 20 years your junior called "Bambi" like everyone else?
Old 01-23-06, 09:41 PM
HopOnPop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beware of opening doors.
Old 01-23-06, 10:22 PM
spunkyruss

Bikes: '64 Schwinn Traveler, '73 Astra Tour de France, '79 Fuji Gran Tourer, '86 Dahon folder, '94 Specialized Hardrock, '95 GT Timberline, 2005 Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HopOnPop
Beware of opening doors.
That was my first thought.

"Honest, officer, I didn't see that poor bicyclist coming. Traffic was stopped and I was just opening my door to stretch my legs. I didn't even think bicycles were allowed on the freeway."

Having said that, it sounds like a helluva good time to me .....JUST WATCH OUT FOR DOORS!
Old 01-23-06, 10:51 PM
supcom
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkS
If its a real freeway, federally subsidized and all, its hard to believe that it would be legal. You might have gotten away with it before the days of cellular phones, but now you'd find the white and blacks waiting for you as came off the freeway.

Consider also that your presence there might endanger drivers on snow and ice as they brake and skid away.
State law (and perhaps municipal ordinance) determines whether is legal to ride on a freeway. I believe there are five states that permit freeway use by cyclists. My state, Texas, is one of the five. However, the city of Dallas has an ordinance prohibiting freeway use by cyclists. This is a good thing as anyone who has driven in Dallas can honestly say!

Freeways have nice wide shoulders, so riding on one is not as big a deal as it may seem. There tends to be a lot of trash on the shoulder though, and its noisy, so it's not much fun. If there's snow, the shoulder might be pretty limited and/or icy.

I've ridden on a freeway and some similar highways that differ only in designation. It was a means to an end and in each case there was no feasible alternative. I didn't get the rush that sawtooth expects and exited at the first opportunity. It was, as far as I know, legal to ride where I did.
Old 01-24-06, 12:37 AM
ahpook
dirtbag roadie

Bikes: Della Santa Corsa Speciale -- Kish custom -- Santa Cruz Stigmata -- Niner Air 9 Carbon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Come visit Santa Clara county here in northern california. We have the state's only "Expressway" system, which are intermediate roads between surface streets and the big freeways like 101 and I-280. Three lanes in either direction, stoplights that are timed for slow rush hour traffic (== fast bicycles), decent shoulders to ride on. I hit 27mph on the flats this morning and left the traffic -- even the carpoolers -- in the dust. (For a block or two)

Scratch that itch without hitting a true car-only freeway, says I.
Old 01-24-06, 01:02 AM
bennyk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This doesn't even sound like very much fun.
Old 01-24-06, 09:54 AM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkS

If you're going to have a midlife crisis, can't you just shave your head, get some tattoos, buy a gold watch and chain, and have a tawdry pointless affair with someone 20 years your junior called "Bambi" like everyone else?
I guess you are right about the black and whites. I am not sure about the Bambi thing, however .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.