Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Centurion Serial Number Database

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Centurion Serial Number Database

Old 09-04-06, 09:56 PM
RookieOnTheSeat
War Eagle!!!

Bikes: Centurion comp TA 1984

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
centurion comp TA

I'm currently rebuilding a Centurion comp TA road bike. I will be more than glad to give my serial number for further information you may have to offer re:year made. It is great to have your knowledge available. This is my first rebuild and yes i'm a rookie at the road bike thing. I have the bike striped to the frame at this time. I will begin the surface prep next. I painted automobiles for several years for a local dealership and feel comfortable with the finishing phase of the build. I no longer paint cars for a living once I completed college years ago but painting is like "riding a bike" LOL. The bike is currently original and equipped with shimano 600 components. The frame has a good bit of scratches and surface rust, this is the reason for repainting it. The first question for anyone out there, Where can I find Centurion decals? It is (or seems) impossible to find on-line. Secondly, what is a good rebuild book?

It is late at night and T-mar I will get the serial number to you within the next couple of days. Thanks and have a pleasent week.
Rookie
Old 09-04-06, 10:12 PM
peripatetic

Bikes: All 70s and 80s, only steel.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RookieOnTheSeat
The first question for anyone out there, Where can I find Centurion decals? It is (or seems) impossible to find on-line. Secondly, what is a good rebuild book?

Rookie
First question, find mswantak in the BF directory, and ask him to help you out. I believe he's still doing it, but not sure. As far as a book on rebuilding, I can't help you there. Have you consulted Sheldon Brown's pages? Many questions you could address to people here or in the Mechanics forum. Good luck with the build, and take some before/after photos to post.
Old 09-05-06, 02:04 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Here's my contribution:

Centurion LeMans Mixte 12 speed
Serial Number N0M0214
Tubing?
Fork?
RD--SunTour VX GT
FD--SunTour VX
Suntour Power Shifters
Hub--Suzue (Sat. No. 5?)
Front and Rear Brakes--Dia Compe 558(?)
Cranks--Sugino 165 Forged Japan J-9
Rims--Araya 27 1 1/4 inch w/o
Handlebar--Sakae Road Champion
Saddle--? some quilted thing that may or may not be original, but says "nylon material" on underside
Seatpost--?
Tires--IRC High Racer Nylon
Freewheel--SunTour "Perfect" "WF"
Headset--?
Stem--SR (Sakae?)
Color is pearl with purple outline around lugs, and purple and blue pinstriping.
Headbadge is round riveted "Centurion Bicycle Works".
Sticker at bottom of seattube claims "Made in Japan".
Also has brown cotton tape on handlebars, and "Bluemel's Popular Fenders".

I can't find any stickers indicating type of steel.

Did I leave out any important details? My understanding of the Centurion serial numbers would indicate that this is from 1980?

East Hill
Old 09-05-06, 02:38 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
It is late at night and T-mar I will get the serial number to you within the next couple of days. Thanks and have a pleasent week.
Rookie
All the Comp TA that I've seen so far have been from 1984. It appears that it may have been a one year model.

Regarding the decals and re-build sources, I agree with peripatetic. I haven't used a book for that purpose in decades and really don't know what it is out there currently.
Old 09-05-06, 02:50 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by East Hill
Here's my contribution ......

......I can't find any stickers indicating type of steel.

Did I leave out any important details? My understanding of the Centurion serial numbers would indicate that this is from 1980?

East Hill
Thxs. Yes, based on the serial number, the frame was built in 1980. The serial number is from early in the year, so 1980 is the likely the model year, though 1981 is an outside possibility. We can rule out 1990, as that is too modern for Vx derailleurs and 27" wheels. 1970 is eliminated because that was prior to the Centurion brand.

I'm not suprised there is no tubing decal. Given the year, it is likely hi-tensile tubing and it was fairly common to avoid putting tubing decals on lower end frames using this grade of steel.
Old 09-06-06, 02:16 PM
RookieOnTheSeat
War Eagle!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
T-Mar re:comp TA

The serial number on my bike is N4H5694. I want to say that one of Sheldon Brown's article stated the comp TA was made in the years of 84-86. "This bike was apparently sold under the Comp TA name only in 1984-86. WSI had to drop the Comp TA model name because Firestone Tires owned the name (a tire model). The Ironman model name replaced Comp TA". But, you have good hystory information thanks

p.s. What would you say the guess-ta-maded vaulue of this bike was new and if completely restored now?

Rookie
Old 09-06-06, 03:31 PM
T-Mar

The serial number on my bike is N4H5694. I want to say that one of Sheldon Brown's article stated the comp TA was made in the years of 84-86. "This bike was apparently sold under the Comp TA name only in 1984-86. WSI had to drop the Comp TA model name because Firestone Tires owned the name (a tire model). The Ironman model name replaced Comp TA". But, you have good hystory information thanks

p.s. What would you say the guess-ta-maded vaulue of this bike was new and if completely restored now?

Rookie
Well, you can't believe everything you read on the internet. I've done quite a bit of research on this brand and there a few errors in the article on Sheldon's site. For instance, the name conflict was with B.F. Goodrich, not Firestone. The author has been contacted and made of aware of this and several other errors.

As for the Comp TA being 1984-1986, that also appears to be incorrect. All the evidence points to the Comp TA being a one year model. For 1985, WSI contracted the use of the Dave Scott and Ironman names, introducing the Centurion Dave Scott Ironman model to replace the Comp TA. Sometimes it is refered to a the Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Signature model and various other permutations. The TA and Dave Scott Ironman were virtually identical, with the only significant difference being Tange#2 on the Comp TA and Tange #1 on the Dave Scott Ironman.

The Comp TA had an MSL of $465 US, while the 1985 Dave Scott Ironman sold for $479 US. Resale value will depend highly on the workmanship of the restoration, and market conditions, so it's almost impossible to predict. While it depends heavily on the amount of restoration required and how much of the work you can do yourself, my experience has been that it is very hard to recoup the investment in restoring a mid range bicycles, particularly Asian models with Asian components.
Old 09-06-06, 03:57 PM
RookieOnTheSeat
War Eagle!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's your opinion?

Do you feel that this bike is worth rebuilding or should I look into another model? I did not want to place alot of money into this until I understand and come to the conclusion I will make biking a major part of my frequent exercise routine. I est. I will have between 120-200 dollars invested once the project is complete.
Thanks again
Rookie
Old 09-06-06, 07:21 PM
T-Mar

Do you feel that this bike is worth rebuilding or should I look into another model? I did not want to place alot of money into this until I understand and come to the conclusion I will make biking a major part of my frequent exercise routine. I est. I will have between 120-200 dollars invested once the project is complete.
Thanks again
Rookie
Bicycles are a funny market. On the good models, many prospective buyers prefer the patina of a used, original finish over a perfect non-original finish. I'm not a very good judge when it comes to resale prices. Hopefully, some other memebers will voice their opinion.
Old 09-06-06, 08:13 PM
RookieOnTheSeat
War Eagle!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no resale

this I will keep and ride
Old 09-08-06, 12:07 AM
Cheapskate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 78 or 79 Centurion with serial number MF00201. I have no idea of the model name or tubing type. Details of the bike here and discussion about it in reply #13 and beyond of this thread. The discussion points to the tubing being one of the butted CrMo types.
Old 09-18-06, 11:40 PM
madopal
Light Cyclist

Bikes: Centurion Le Mans RS, Homebuilt Cyclocross (Nashbar frame), Homebuild Surly Disc Trucker Touring Rig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1986 LeMans RS

Ok, here's mine. It's original parts from when I bought it new except for tires, brake pads, and chain (I still have the chain, but it's not working).

1986 (I'm guessing from your serial # explanation) Centurion LeMans RS
Serial #: N6A5698

Frame: Cro-Mo Seamless Tubing Tange 2 Double Butted Tubes, I think it's a 56 cm or so
Brakes: Dia-Compe (1285B)
Shifters: Shimano S424
Cranks: Sugino GP-130
BB: ?
Pedals: Sugino PD-1000
RD: Shimano RD-L525
FD: Shimano FD-Z206
Seatpost: Sugino SP-KC
Seat: Vetta "Centurion Anatomic"
Rims: Araya 700C
Hubs: Suzue

Here's a link to my photo album with a bunch of pics of parts & serial #'s.

https://www.madopal.com/photoalbum/ma...g2_itemId=6584

T-Mar, since you appear to be the Oracle of Centurion knowledge, can you tell me ANYTHING about these pedals? I love them, but I'm having the hardest time finding new toe clips for them! The ones I have were original, and NO ONE seems to stock anything like them anymore. I found one place that sold Campy ones, but they were also too small (the problem with these...they put my toe to sleep because they're too tight). What's the deal with these?

Also, if you want any more specific photos, feel free to let me know.
Old 09-19-06, 11:57 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Name: Centurion LeMans 12
S/N: N3M9422
Size: 61cm
Color: Blue with silver painted detail/trim/lettering
Date: Estimate early to mid-80s (would like to know date, perhaps frame made late-Dec-1983 by S/N explaination, so a 1984 model?)
Frame: CroMo Tange Champion #5
Hubs: Suzue 3 H LPF (w/quick release skewer)
Rims: ARAYA 27"x1-1/4" 36 spoke aluminum
Brake: Dia-Compe side pull
Brake Levers: had suicide extention levers
Handlebar: SAKAF Custom Road Champion, 38cm (!)
Cranks: Sugino GT 175mm
Chainrings: 40/52
Shifters: Suntour arx, with bolt on stem mounted shifters (no frame lugs)
Seatpost: SR LaPrade

Al

Last edited by noisebeam; 09-19-06 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-19-06, 12:30 PM
TechJunkie
Reposting Yuppie Scum

Bikes: '98 Cervelo Eyre, '80 Centurion Lemans 12, '96 GT LTS-3, '05 Specialized Allez Elite Cro-Mo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TechJunkie
Just bought it earlier today for $75 from a guy who had a storage unit full of them. Centurion Le Mans.
N0S0641-

Pearl paint
Lugged Frame
Suntour VX Group
Dia Compe center pull brakes
Araya rear wheel
Rigida fron wheel w Maillard hub
Sugino Crank

Wow, I finally got to ride this today after a month of refurbishing components. Not nearly as efficient as my Cervelo, but the ride is unbelievable in comparison. I'm inferring from T-mar's explanation that this is a 1980 with high tensile steel tubing. Mid-price point for its year model?
Old 09-22-06, 09:27 AM
bigwoo

Bikes: March [B]'71 Schwinn Sports Tourer [/B] [B]

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Hi T-Mar, I found what I believe is one of the very early Centurions this morning at an auction and I grabbed it.
Although I believe that this Centurion Omega is not at the top of the pecking order, it has extremely fancy lugwork and bullet-point seatstays compared to my Sport DLX.
It has a nice metal head tube badge as well.
I'm guessing it's just Hi-Ten steel. R derailleur is a Shimano Tourney. Front is a Suntour 7. Dia-Compe drop forged center pull's.
Notre Dame fans would love it because it is an attractive all-emerald green w/ gold-leaf style lettering.

Serial #: IH28649I and is followed by the Omega-Centurion symbol

Do you need more photos than this one??

https://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l4...2/CIMG0182.jpg

My guess is somewhere around 1972 **********

Last edited by bigwoo; 09-22-06 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-04-06, 12:10 PM
Katzenjammer
Utility Cyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Centurion LeMans Mixte (12 speed)
Serial Number N0D6xxx

SunTour kit, with stem-mounted "Power Shifters". RD stamped with what appears to be a sn

Diacompe centerpulls

Sugino chainwheel

Suzue hub

"27 x 1 1/4 w/o" Araya rims

Pedals stamped "MKS#QR-S2" and the wretched things must weigh two pounds all by themselves

cheesy-feeling aluminum handlebar with equally-cheesy "contoured" black plastic handgrips

the stem looks like a standard aluminum road stem, so the handlebars are actually lower than the elbow of the stem.

cheesy no-name leatherette sprung saddle

simple Dia 26.0mm straight seatpost

Deep metallic-ish blue with badly-done cream lug outlines and simple rust+offwhite pinstriping.

Decals are pinkish-white "Centurion" on the downtube and "Le Mans Mixte" on the chainstays. The typeface looks like a knockoff of ITC Eras. "Centurion" is in what looks like Extra Bold weight, and "Le Mans Mixte" in Medium weight.

Badge is round, cream-painted pot metal (or maybe aluminum) saying "Centurion Bicycle Works". Riveted on.

Sticker at the bottom of the seat tube says "Made in Japan".

It weighs 30 lbs (!!), per my balance-beam-type scale. Either it's made of gas-pipe or those pedals and the kickstand really add up.

So would it have been made in late Feb '80?

Last edited by Katzenjammer; 10-15-06 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-15-06, 01:17 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
1986? Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Expert

Yes, just like my 1987 Nishiki Prestige, it has the smaller front wheel! Both wheels are Araya rims, the front wheel being 24" x 1", the rear being 700c.

Shimano 105 all around EXCEPT that a previous owner has removed the biopace chainrings, and replaced with Sakae 'SR 362' 42t and 'SR 307' 52t and a 175mm Sakae FX crank.

It also came with what would appear to have been an original Selle Italia Turbo 'Bernard Hinault' leather saddle--in black!

https://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...IMG_0331_2.jpg

Serial number is N6M8677.

Does anyone have any unwanted 24 inch wheels? I can see I need to lay up a stock of those as I keep finding bikes with the little front wheels.

Please note that this is NOT really a pink bike. As I live in the Pacific Northwest I am declaring this to be 'salmon' coloured.

In honour of Blue Order, it is now named 'Miami Vice'.

East Hill
Old 10-20-06, 07:11 AM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Katzenjammer--do you have pictures? It sounds as if your mixte would be the same year and model as mine, but a different colour.

East Hill
Old 10-21-06, 04:15 AM
Katzenjammer
Utility Cyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Katzenjammer--do you have pictures? It sounds as if your mixte would be the same year and model as mine, but a different colour.
No pix unfortunately, but I'm sure you're right, that it is the same as yours except for the color and being a few months older. If you like I could copy your pic and P'shop the color (edit: hmmm...I'm sure you had a pic, didn't you?)

Last edited by Katzenjammer; 10-21-06 at 04:30 AM.
Old 10-21-06, 06:56 AM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thank you Katzenjammer. It sounds as if yours is a much prettier colour. However, I was curious about the poor job of outlining around the lugs, as the lugs on mine were fairly decently done.

https://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...Anch=imgAnch10

Edit to include pics.

East Hill

Last edited by East Hill; 10-21-06 at 07:47 AM.
Old 10-21-06, 02:44 PM
Katzenjammer
Utility Cyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was surprised by the poor quality of the lug outlining too. It was definitely done by a different hand, not the one that did the pinstriping which was sketchy but clean. I'm wondering whether a previous owner tried to overpaint the outlining for some reason but didn't have sufficiently good control over the brush
Old 10-21-06, 02:45 PM
T-Mar

East Hill
??? Did I miss something??? The two bicycles are seven model years apart. There's a huge difference between these two bicycles. Almost nothing is the same, except the brand name.

Katzenjammer's model is a 1980 LeMans. East Hill, your bicycle is the women's version of the 1987 Iron Man Expert. The 24" front wheel permitted a lower standover height for shorter riders. The color was aimed directly at the female market. Yes, it was built in 1986, but it is a 1987 model.
Old 10-21-06, 02:48 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
T-Mar,
Is the LeMans in post #114 a 1984 year model as I figured from it's SN and your SN coding explaination?
Thanks-
Al
Old 10-21-06, 05:13 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
T-Mar, see my mixte post in #104. I am the proud owner of TWO Centurions--one, the 1980 mixte, and the other is the now properly dated 1987 Iron Man.

East Hill
Old 10-22-06, 09:49 AM
T-Mar

T-Mar, see my mixte post in #104. I am the proud owner of TWO Centurions--one, the 1980 mixte, and the other is the now properly dated 1987 Iron Man.

East Hill
Ahhh, now I see! Thank-you for straightening me out. Sometimes, I need that. I didn't go back far enough, but then this post is getting rather lengthy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.