Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

A wave on the road

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

A wave on the road

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-06, 05:25 PM
Abbey

Bikes: Giant MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A wave on the road

My commute is 48 miles round trip. I always throw a wave to passing cyclists, but I have found many don't wave back. What's up with that???
Old 04-29-06, 05:28 PM
Eriol

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually wave unless I'm busy looking for traffic or watching for debris and potholes
Old 04-29-06, 05:30 PM
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I pass a few commuters and only a few of those few wave back.
All roadies are too busy reveling in thier uberKoolness to
ever acknowledge a lowly, prole commuter ......even when
Im going around them on the left.

Last edited by -=(8)=-; 04-29-06 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-29-06, 05:46 PM
Mr_Finster
Rather-be-riding...

Bikes: Merlin X-light, Surly Cross-Check, Bianchi Pista Concept 2006, C-dale RT1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have found similar responses. When riding my commuter, fellow commuters wave, but other "cyclists" rarely do. When I'm riding my road machine (non-commuter), I wave to all and get maybe 50% return. However, I wave and move on, not looking for the wave-back. Just my $0.02
Old 04-29-06, 06:04 PM
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
There are too many bikers in Toronto. It doesn't feel like a special occasion to meet a biker, so nobody waves.

Outside of the city, however, on deserted country roads, meeting any non-driver is a special occasion, so I usually greet cyclists (as well as walkers). Most of them wave/smile back.
Old 04-29-06, 06:14 PM
literocola
Your Local Megalomaniac

Bikes: Gary Fisher GED, ECHO Pure, Norco Moment, Kona Stab

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I either give the nod, or wave to every biker I see. 90% dont even reply the jester. Anyone I see riding a bike gets respect points from me, that is, unless your bike is ontop of your freggin car. Then, "the look" comes into play.
Old 04-29-06, 06:26 PM
hodadmike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've observed the more a guy's bike cost, the less likely he waves. I will always wave to anybody, a return would be nice but unnecessary.
Old 04-29-06, 06:30 PM
literocola
Your Local Megalomaniac

Bikes: Gary Fisher GED, ECHO Pure, Norco Moment, Kona Stab

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hodadmike
I've observed the more a guy's bike cost, the less likely he waves. I will always wave to anybody, a return would be nice but unnecessary.
LOL, so true... so true...
A riding friend of mine works at a very high end shop, and he was telling me that last week, some doctor guy came in, and spent $11,000, yes 11,000 on a roadbike. My buddy Justin asked him if he was planning on racing, but he replyd "I'm buying this to out do my friends bike, it probley wont be ridden too much anyway."

Why cant I have this? My collection of sweet bikes would be 2 more, a nice road bike, and a nice downhill/freeride.
Old 04-29-06, 06:57 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Abbey
I always throw a wave to passing cyclists, but I have found many don't wave back. What's up with that???
They must be roadies...
Old 04-29-06, 09:21 PM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wave a lot too. Maybe non-wavers just did not see you. Some roadies are friendly, some not. I was passed by three guys once in full kit. No response as I said hello. So I said to their backs, "Now there are some Freds for you." That stopped them in their tracks. "WHAT DID YOU MEAN BY THAT?" one shouted. "Friend," I said, "To me a Fred is someone who is rude and does not respond to a friendly greeting." As I am 5'11", 205 lb and a muscular build, the three light-weights did not continue the chat.
Old 04-29-06, 09:26 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
No one waves here. Thus, I don't wave. It feels odd to wave and it not be reciprocated.
Maybe I should start waving at everyone.

OooOOOo! There is this one gentleman who rides a bent and we both wave at each other.
Old 04-29-06, 10:16 PM
Abbey

Bikes: Giant MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting reponses to say the least. I'll keep the wave going and simply hope to get more in return.
Old 04-29-06, 10:34 PM
Mphetameme
Keys are in the ignition

Bikes: Mikado Cabot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not really a "waver". I usually reciprocate if someone initiates, but I never wave first. I just don't feel compelled to do so.
Old 04-29-06, 10:36 PM
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Originally Posted by ken cummings
"To me a Fred is someone who is rude and does not respond to a friendly greeting." As I am 5'11", 205 lb and a muscular build, the three light-weights did not continue the chat.
What is so rude about not responding to a friendly greeting? Sometimes people just aren't in the mood to interact with anybody. As someone extremely introverted I can easily understand that.

And is it, by any chance, rude to brag about being physically intimidating? This is especially funny on a cycling forum.
Old 04-29-06, 11:23 PM
GTcommuter
Easily distracted...

Bikes: Surley Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I try to wave or nod to other cyclists. Usually it's a two-fingers-off-the-brake-lever short wave. Sometimes, though, by the time someone says hi I've rolled by and not registered it until a second later.
Old 04-30-06, 09:50 AM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those who I find wave / nod the least are young guys on serious teams. It's either extreme focus or extreme, well, you know... jerkness (keeping it clean here).

Sometimes I go further than a wave or a nod. If I'm going downhill and see others going up, I'll give a good "Vengavengavenga!!!".
Old 04-30-06, 10:35 AM
Az B
Fattest Thin Man

Bikes: Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Sometimes I wave, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I have a good reason for not waving, sometimes I don't.

Sorry if it hurts your feelings, but my advice would be to get over it.

Az
Old 04-30-06, 12:35 PM
yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, grow a thicker skin. sometimes, i'm too preoccupied to wave. it doesn't mean anything.

the fact that those three stopped when ken called them freds is funny, though. if your too busy to wave, what the hell do you care if someone calls you a fred?
Old 04-30-06, 03:20 PM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every one greeted me today except one man in Graton who didn't wave. Then I saw the sleeve of his jersey was pinned up.
Old 04-30-06, 04:42 PM
Kabloink

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
A lot of riders move a couple of fingers or barely nod their head in reply. Roadies are notorious for doing this. In their mind they waved back, but often its not noticed by the other cyclist.

I never let it bother me if it seems they didn't wave. The important thing is that I waved.
Old 04-30-06, 06:17 PM
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

The word "bother" is actually used to describe those situations? Jesus H., people, do you take it as a personal rejection or something?
Old 04-30-06, 06:31 PM
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^^^^ Some people are more bothered by lack of humanity than others.
What has society come to when one person goes out of their way and extends
a low level act of kindness and someone is 'too busy' to reciprocate ?
No big deal, just proves the old adage 'people suck!'
If an old lady says 'hi' to you in the supermarket do you ignore her because you
are so engrossed in reading labels ?? In this fast paced society where arrogance
and ignorance is the norm when someone goes out of thier way to diverge from that
trend, to me, it should be returned.
Old 04-30-06, 06:41 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I don't know what the big deal is with waving.

Sometimes I wave, sometimes I don't.

If I'm climbing a hill, I don't wave because I need to concentrate, and I need both hands on my handlebars. I'm not that confident with my hill climbing skills.

If I'm descending a hill, I'm also concentrating on not hitting any rocks, gravel, or rumble strips, and need both hands on my handlebars. I'm also not that confident with my hill descending skills. Plus, often by the time I realize that there was another cyclist out there, I'm long past him/her, and it is too late to wave.

If I'm deep in thought ... which often happens when I ride, after all one of the reasons I ride is to think things through ... I might not notice another cyclist until it is too late.

And if I happen to be in an area with a lot of cyclists (rare, but has happened occasionally), I might just get tired of waving every two seconds.

When I do wave, sometimes I get a return wave, and that's nice, and sometimes I don't, but that's OK too.
Old 04-30-06, 06:43 PM
Robbykills
Hi. I'm in Delaware.

Bikes: 2017 All City Space Horse, 2015 Jamis Dragonslayer, 2016 Velo Orange Pass Hunter Disc, 1991 Tommasini Competizione, 2018 Soma Wolverine fixed gear, 1996 Diamondback Outlook w/Crust Clydesdale, 1999 Torelli Corsa Strada (Coaster Brake Conversion ;] )

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wave at other people riding by, sometimes its acknowledged.

I think though, that I wave to people in cars though who are driving perpendicular to me through an intersection the most. For example if I am riding and a car wants to turn right and pull out infront of me but they patiently wait for me to pass them I will usually give them a little wave or head nod as I ride by, thanking them for not "thinking they could beat me" and pulling out and causing me to wreck.
Old 04-30-06, 07:36 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I can get a wave from almost anyone, including cagers and harley riders, but not from the roadies. I'm apparently too uncool for most of them. I think they can smell an aluminum frame from 500 meters, and they can certainly see straight bars from that far.
For whatever reason, when I encounter them they're usually heading downwind and downhill, and I'm heading the opposite way, but I'm still pumping 18-20 MPH, and they look kind of winded. Most of them are out on one of their first rides, and I've been dragging studded tires all winter. Maybe they are trying to pretend I don't exist

Even on days when I see a lot of roadies, I only see them coming the other way, so I must be keeping up with them. I was actually gaining on one wearing full U of M team colors the other day, but I got to my turn just as I was catching him. And to be fair, he was probably at least 15 miles out, and I had just started.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.