Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Sekine world's finest bicycle?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Sekine world's finest bicycle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-06, 07:45 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by bluespenny
I'm loving this thread - it's both comprehensive and interesting.
Last night, I stumbled across a collector's goldmine. A guy selling around 30 interesting bikes, and parts, for cheap. I left with three 70s peugeot frames and components, and two complete bikes, one of which is a stunning, and totally stock (including tires) Sekine 10 speed. All for $70 Cdn.
It sounds like a SHT (?) - its equipped with Titlist shimano gears and shimano everything else (except sr cranks) and it also has the frame sticker, reading Champion tube cro-mo steel. The rims are araxa, 27 x 1 1/4.
It's got the medalliane head badge (if that's how you spell it), and doesn't claim to be the world's finest anything. I'm in Canada, and I assume it's probably Canadian too.
Anyway, I oiled it up, added some air to the tires, and peeled off around the block. It's very nice, but a bit small, and I'm only 5'10".
Now here's the question part: I was going to steal parts from it, including the wheels, to rebuild the best of the Peugeots, which appears to be 1973 AO-8, or PA 60s, from what little I know. It's not a PX-10, for sure.
After reading this, I'm wondering if the Sekine might be the better bike, if I can find a slightly longer handlebar stem and seat post.
Thoughts?
Mike
I'd go with the Sekine. It should be lighter and stiffer. However, you may find the ride of the Peugeot to be slightly more comfortable. Thjis is due in part to the smaller diameter, French tubing. Also, if you develop problems, replacement parts for the Sekine will be much easier to come by, as you don't have to worry about odd french sizes and threading. However, if the Peugeot fits you better, that may be the way to go.

Based on your description, the bicycle sounds more like an SHS model.
Old 04-20-06, 08:05 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by MacG
I just picked up what I believe is a mid-70s SHC frame in the dark green color last night. It looks like what you have there is a Sekine road frame that somebody has put 26" wheels on. Look at the front fork and how much space there is above the tire. The rear brake bridge looks to be the same way. I also doubt Sekine would have run a shifter cable on the downtube in a manner that obscures the lettering. It looks like someone converted a road bike with a gear hub and what appears to be a front drum hub and some cruiser bars. A very interesting looking bike; nice find.
I agree that the frame appears to be proportioned for 27" wheels. However, I question that this is an aftermarket customization. If it was a standard road frame, at this level, it would typically have two cable stops on the top tube for the rear brake. These do appear to be present.

Regarding the downtube cable postioning, this is typical of the lower models. Sekine's clamp postioned these cables at 3 and 9 o'clock.

The tires are very wide for the era. Perhaps the easiest way for Sekine to get the clearance (and keep costs down) was to use the standard frame tooling? It almost appears as though Sekine inadvertently stumbled upon the Comfort bicycle, 20 years ahead of everybody else.
Old 04-28-06, 10:54 PM
sekinefan

Bikes: Kona:Lavadome,Sekine:?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm loving this thread - it's both comprehensive and interesting.
Last night, I stumbled across a collector's goldmine. A guy selling around 30 interesting bikes, and parts, for cheap. I left with three 70s peugeot frames and components, and two complete bikes, one of which is a stunning, and totally stock (including tires) Sekine 10 speed. All for $70 Cdn.
It sounds like a SHT (?) - its equipped with Titlist shimano gears and shimano everything else (except sr cranks) and it also has the frame sticker, reading Champion tube cro-mo steel. The rims are araxa, 27 x 1 1/4.
It's got the medalliane head badge (if that's how you spell it), and doesn't claim to be the world's finest anything. I'm in Canada, and I assume it's probably Canadian too.
Anyway, I oiled it up, added some air to the tires, and peeled off around the block. It's very nice, but a bit small, and I'm only 5'10".
Now here's the question part: I was going to steal parts from it, including the wheels, to rebuild the best of the Peugeots, which appears to be 1973 AO-8, or PA 60s, from what little I know. It's not a PX-10, for sure.
After reading this, I'm wondering if the Sekine might be the better bike, if I can find a slightly longer handlebar stem and seat post.
Thoughts?
Mike
Sounds like your Sekine is identical to mine, if it is you have a very nice bike, why not leave it original and find some other parts to rebuild the Peugeot. Just a thought, Carlo
Old 06-15-06, 03:05 PM
Dark Warrior
Sekine Rider

Bikes: Sekine SHS Royale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
QR locks

Oh yeaf, mine also has those rear stay screw and spring things. What are they?
mike
Those little rear stay screw and spring things are stops for the QR hubs. Get the bike setup and aligned, then set the screws. Every time you remove the reat wheel, you just need to pull it back hard on the stays, and your geometry is all aligned.

BTW, I am an orignal owner of a Sekine SHS which I have been riding on and off for nearly 30 years. It's still a daily rider. The only complaint is the increasing difficulty of finding 27*1-1/8 clinchers. I had a double blowout a month ago, and had to wait two weeks for replacement tires on special order. It may be time to switch to 700 sized wheel sets.
Old 06-15-06, 08:51 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Dark Warrior
.The only complaint is the increasing difficulty of finding 27*1-1/8 clinchers. I had a double blowout a month ago, and had to wait two weeks for replacement tires on special order. It may be time to switch to 700 sized wheel sets.
I would think they would be in stock in a place like Ottawa. My supplier still lists 90 psi, 27 x 1-1/8" (and 27 x 1") and I usually receive shipments the next day. I may even have some at the store. I've got some components to order this week, so I'll check to see if he has them in stock and if I have anything at the store. At least, then you'll know for the future.
Old 06-29-06, 07:40 PM
mjsailing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sekine - New Post-er

Just killing time and cruising the web, I thought I'd "google" my old bike, a Sekine. I bought it new in 1974-75 timeframe in Joliet IL, and I rode it to school (Lewis University - Romeoville, IL) daily during the good weather periods. I also rode quite a bit in Tallahassee, FL at grad school at FSU and took quite a few road trips with a grouop of cycling friends in the early 80's.

Anyway, I found the discussion about Sekine and eventually found this this site - and enrolled. I have to admit that I was quite surprised to find so much discussion about the Sekine.

I still have the Sekine. Although I have not ridden the bike in a few years, all it would take is to put air in the tires and have a roll. The only modification I have made to the Sekine is to change from the OE sewups to a clincher type tire, as I was getting so many flats. I may still have the orig. rims somewhere (I hope).

I'd like the opportunity to hear from some of the folks about my Sekine - I'll get home and pull the serial # to post. The bike has always been a dream to ride - and a keeper. It's in great shape for being thirty years old - wish I was doing as well - perhaps more seat time would help! Thanks for listening, mj
Old 10-06-06, 12:27 PM
accozzaglia
Velosaurus Ancientus

Bikes: Sekine 1974 SHS-271 (dark red) and Sekine 1975 SHL-270 mixte (forest green). Past: Sekine 1974 SHS-271 (forest green; stolen 2013); Peugeot 103 (red mixte, retired); 1974 Sekine SHS-271 (blue, stolen 2007); 1975 Sekine SHC-270 (green, dead).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread is effectively dead, but might as well mention it somewhere.

Given the limited info out there on Sekines, I'm trying to identify a pair of frames. The first one is the one I found on Freecycle over the summertime. It evidently had been sitting in a garage for a very long time and all original materials seemed to be a part of the bike. I don't know in what year it was built, or which line it was (SHC? SHT? other?). The information I can offer is as follows:

It's a tall (25") frame. The paint colour is a vivid green metallic (not unlike those Honda del Sols from a few years ago) and is, aside from a few minor scuffs, still intact and without corrision problems (unlike a parked one I saw just like mine which had a lot of surface rust and appeared to have lived a tougher life). The seat tube, partly worn away from locking the bike with a Kryptolock, indicates that it was made in Manitoba ("Sekine Canada").

The "SEKINE" letter treatment is in white, and resembles an Art Deco-era type face. It's not like any of the photos I've found online yet. The fork has a chrome crown, and are chromed from halfway down to the fork ends. I seem to recall the serial number being Z#####. The brakes are centre-pull Shimano Tourney. The front derailleur is Shimano Thunderbird, while the rear is Shimano Lark SPO. The rear dropouts are stamped, not forged (as I originally guessed). And the shifters are Shimano's "Fingertip" shifters.

I use this bike daily for messenger work, and it is very sturdy and nimble, comparable to an old 1985 Nishiki Prestige I once used to ride. I have switched the steel rims to 27" aluminum due to problems with aging spokes breaking at the rate of 3 every two months.

The other bike is a smaller sibling to the tall green model in every way but three: it's dark blue, has chromed and forged rear dropouts, and it's a 23" (I think) or 21" frame. Its serial is: Y#####. Some of the parts are not original, but the frame is still in fairly good shape. The same white Art Deco lettering and seat tube label ("Sekine Canada") is found on this frame, too.

My guess is that these models both originate sometime between 1974 and 1977, but I'm not totally sure.

Cheers.

Last edited by accozzaglia; 11-14-07 at 05:38 PM. Reason: serial correction
Old 10-07-06, 08:54 AM
Rusty Valiant
Traffic Frightener.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey dark warrior, I'm stripping my sekine frame and building up a peugeot. I live in Ottawa, and if you're looking for another sekine frame and want to trade for parts, let me know. It's way too small for me- I think it's a 54 cm frame, but a nice ride. And it's red, which makes it go faster.
Old 10-11-06, 10:05 AM
jimmibudd
flaccid member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow.... awesome thread....

last spring i picked up a Sekine frame (and a cdn peugeot uo8) from the police auction.... the Sekine frame is silve chrome... no paint.... i took it apart to build up a fixie... not sure about the components... ill look in the box....

i also picked an old sekine out of the garbage over the summer and my bro and i thru on some upright handlebars and a comfy seat and made him a cheap ride.... this sekine i recal had some nice components.... it was offwhite in color...

i also recently received another sekine from a freind for free..... it is also offwhite..... and dusty..

when we were kids my mom had a yellow sekine....

anyways, i'll check out the labels and see what the scoop is on models and years and compnets...

cool

i'm also in winnipeg, manitoba...

J
Old 10-12-06, 09:13 AM
Novakane 

Bikes: Sekine RM40 1980, Miyata 1000LT 1990, Raleigh Mixte Sprite 1980, Raleigh Grand Prix 1979

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusty Valiant
Hey dark warrior, I'm stripping my sekine frame and building up a peugeot. I live in Ottawa, and if you're looking for another sekine frame and want to trade for parts, let me know. It's way too small for me- I think it's a 54 cm frame, but a nice ride. And it's red, which makes it go faster.
It looks like there's a least three of us in Ottawa kicking around on Sekines. I saw someone crossing the road at Iris and the Transitway a couple of days ago on a cream coloured Sekine road bike, oddly enough. I was on foot so I couldn't really get a good look at it, since they where riding. Looked like a nicer model than mine, with chromed forks.
Old 02-11-07, 03:24 PM
tellyho
Your mom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just picked myself up a Sekine by the side of the road today. It's super light, and looks like the SHT (half-chromed fork, Tourney centerpulls, etc.) A fair amount of rust and some peeling paint, but I'm looking forward to the rehab.
Old 02-12-07, 08:16 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by tellyho
Just picked myself up a Sekine by the side of the road today. It's super light, and looks like the SHT (half-chromed fork, Tourney centerpulls, etc.) A fair amount of rust and some peeling paint, but I'm looking forward to the rehab.
based on that description it could also be a SHB or SHC. Post a pic and the serial number.
Old 02-12-07, 02:09 PM
tellyho
Your mom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think you're right. On closer inspection, it seems lower end. Serial is Y2 0709. I think it's an eighties adaptation - riser bar and MTB levers! Both derailleurs are Titlist, Shimano stamped dropouts. Non-cottered crank, but no spider.
Old 02-13-07, 12:58 PM
T-Mar

I'll still trying to decode the Sekine serial numbers, but based on my current understanding it a around circa 1976. The Titlist derailleurs suggest it may be an SHS. The stem, bars and levers are almost certainly replacements. Too bad, because the bar and stem would have contained date codes. The derailleurs and calipers may or may not, as this is the period when Shimano was introducing them. The one component that should have a date code is the crankset. If you could check the back of crankarms for one, it would be appreciated. A pic would help me confirm the model.
Old 05-05-07, 12:06 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
sorry to drag back an old thread, but a very educational one (thanks to T-Mar).
I'm trying to help a friend with a possible bike purchase and have only seen one poor, grainy photo...
but what can anybody tell me about the Sekine Toledo model?
Old 05-07-07, 05:34 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by unworthy1
sorry to drag back an old thread, but a very educational one (thanks to T-Mar).
I'm trying to help a friend with a possible bike purchase and have only seen one poor, grainy photo...
but what can anybody tell me about the Sekine Toledo model?
I've only ever seen one Toledo. It was lower mid-range from the very late 1980s/early 1990s on the basis of the indexed Exage group. By this time, the Canadian factory had closed down and the radical yen re-evaluation had taken place, so I suspect it was probably a sub-contracted Taiwanese frame. I don't recall the frame tubing, but based on the era and component group I would expect a seamed butted CrMo main triangle with possibly lesser grade fork and stays.
Old 05-31-07, 03:43 PM
suzi stromberg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1977 Sekine

I am resurrecting my 1977 Sekine- my father bought it from a local hardware store in a town in North West Ontario -very close to Manitoba. It cost $210.00. I remember begging for weeks for that bike. I treated it like gold. It never saw rain, was never left outside and I still have it! I'm guessing it is the SHC model. It is date stamped on the crankarm 77. It has all Shimano components. The rear derailer says Shimano Tourney 500, and the front has Shimano Uniglide on it. It has the centre pull brakes (which I took off years ago when I put foam bar grips on) and chrome forks. It is the classic candy apple red with the Sekine Canada Ltd. sticker on it. It has the badge with 'Sekine Cycle Medallia'. I have changed the tires a few times and the seat. I am doing my first Triathlon in July and am using it for the 43 km biking section. We had it shipped to us and have lost the front nuts to the front tire. We may have to build something as they are a very odd size. It looks like they are 8mm, with extra fine threads. The stamp under the crank is 0272 Bx. I'm very excited to be riding it in it's first race on it's 30th birthday! My husband thinks I'm crazy, but he is a bike nut, so he understands how sentimental it is to me. I will post pics as soon as it is done (and when it crosses the finish line!!) Hope this will help your website.

Originally Posted by T-Mar
Sandy, I worked in a LBS that carried Sekine and recall things a bit differently. Perhaps you can straighten me out.

First, the plant opened in June 1973. it was located at Oo-za-we-Kwun near Rivers, Manitoba and was located there as an incentive for the native people. I don't know when the factory closed, but have been trying to find this out. I've assumed this was the early '80s after the tariffs dropped, as this was about the same time Shields and CCM went bankrupt. I have found Cnadian manufactured Sekine with component date codes in the late '70s.

The '270' in the model designation is actually the colour number, in this case the off-white or cream colour. The Sekine paint was electrostatically applied. Other colours included red (most popular), forest green, olive green (least popular) and white. The red and forest green had great depth and wetness to the appearance, almost appearing to be a "candy apple" finish. There were additional colours options on some of the Japanese manufactured frames, notably a beautiful royal blue.

The major characteristics of the models I recall are the:

SHA: Steel, cottered crankset. Cherry, steel, centre-pull brakes. Steel, small flange hubs. Shimano Lark/Eagle derailleurs. Stamped dropouts.

SHB: SR cotterless, swaged, aluminum crankset.Shimano Tourney centre-pull brakes. Shimano Tourney large flange hubs with wing nuts (later with quick relaese). Shimano Lark or Eagle derailleurs. Chromed fork tips. Stamped dropouts. Made in Japan.

SHC: same as SHB but made in Canada. Less colour options tham SHB. The SHB/C were the biggest seller, as you state.

SHT: SR aluminum, forged, cotterless crankset. Shimano Dura-Ace centre-pull brakes. Shimano Titlist derailleurs. Shimano Tourney, large flange hubs with quick release. Chromed fork and stay ends. Forged dropouts.

SHX: Full Shimano Dura-Ace group (with Crane rear derailleur). Chrome dropout flats and head lugs. Forged dropouts. No doubt about this model, as I own one!

There was a ladies model, but we did not carry it, so it does not stick out in my mind. I assume it was equivalent ot the SHA or SHB/C. I vaguely recall the SHS, but have no recollection of the configuration, probably because we did not sell many.

None of the models carried any tubing decals. However, based on seat tube sizes, it appears to be varying grades of Tange tubing.

Please note that the above descriptions are based on models we sold from the 1973-1975 period. However, this was when Sekine was at it's peak and probably represent most of the models on the streets.

Any info is appreciated, as I am trying to develop a Sekine website.
Old 05-31-07, 07:14 PM
ga_mueller

Bikes: 1978 Nishiki Superbe, 1982 Miyata Team, 1987 Miyata 912, 1987 Davidson Challenge, 1993 Bridgestone RB1-7

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Amazing. I love it. THE THREAD THAT WILL NEVER DIE!
Old 06-01-07, 01:21 PM
ricohman

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Today I bought a forest green Sekine in showroom condition. I am organizing a retro reunion ride this summer so I have an add in the local paper.
It is like new, complete with the original owners manual (and original tires, which are very hard).
The fellow I bought it from bought it new in 1975, but due to health reasons never rode it.
It has wing nuts on the axles, cotterless crank and Shimano parts.
I will post some pics of this time macnine this weekend.
Old 06-02-07, 08:24 AM
GCRyder

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just to add some info, BF member randyjawa has some detailed info on Sekine bikes on his website:
https://www.geocities.com/randyjawa/S...ryArticle.html
Old 06-11-07, 01:52 PM
papaj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
worlds best?

I worked at the sekine plant in Oo-za-we-kwun manitoba just outside Rivers. It was a former air base turned into a Native training center. The Japanese company ran it with management from Japan. Workers were local both native and non native. They were good bikes despite the staff. the quality of work and workmanship left a lot to be desired. Most workers were 16-20 years old and i think more bikes were stolen piece by piece than were sold. The company was later sold to Acklands limited and closed up not too long after they took over.
Old 06-11-07, 02:49 PM
jimmibudd
flaccid member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i've subscribed to this thread for a long time and think it is time to post....
between us, my brother and i have 3 old sekines..... 1 of mine and his are a cream colored version wirh shimano tourney parts, etc..... we see tons of these varieties in winnipeg (saw one today infact!)... his we put on some treaded tires a more comfy seat, some swooping cruiser bars and a basket.... it has its own unique look, to say the least... he loves it though..... although he has talek of looking for a cruiser frame....
anyways, my cream colored one is now a sinlge speed commuter with fenders... i removed the decals so its pretty plain looking.... i plan on painting it dark green.... with the black pedal, seat, seatpost and tape it'll look good....

i ave another sekine that is all chrome... i removed all the parts and im putting a fixed tire on the back and some shiny drops on the front.... gonna add a bmx brake.... its my current sekine project...

anyways, sekines are great.... and as a manitoban, im proud to have somthing locally maed.... regardless of the crastmen... and the fact that i got them all for less than $40....

ciao4now

Jb
Old 06-12-07, 10:16 AM
papaj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sekine closing

The sekine plant in Oo-za-we-kwun was a money loosing venture from the begining. It was set up as a training center for Native people from northern reserves with tax incentives and wage subsidies. Only about 40% of the employees were Native and the rest came from the neighboring community of Rivers. The Japanese company used this opportunity to break into the Canadian market and did so quite well. The plant did painting and assembly work. Most high end bikes came pre assembled with the exception of wheels and handle bars. The most expensive model assembled in canada was equiped with fenders saddle bags lights and turn signals and was available with an optional electric booster motor. In 1979 Sekine sold the Plant to Acklands ltd and shortly after the government ended the Oo-za-we-kwun project. This ended the wage subsidies ( approximately 65%)and tax breaks. Finding itself with skyrocketing production costs as well as increased competition Acklands bailed out of the bicycle business and sold the equipment at auction.
Old 06-12-07, 01:32 PM
T-Mar

Thank-you for posting. It's always good to receive first hand info.

Your comment, " the quality of work and workmanship left a lot to be desired" is very perplexing. When I sold Sekine bicycles in the mid-1970s, the quality was considered to be superior to our other brands, at least on the entry level models. The big seller was the SHB/SHC which was 2nd from the bottom of the lightweight lineup. Our staff considered it superior in workmanship to the competition and our consumers obviously agreed, as its sales surpassed the combined sales of the Peugeot UO8, Raleigh Grand Prix, CCM Concorde and Gitane Gran Sport. The upper level models did not compare to the competitiors' models, but at the entry level, Sekine was our best and they held their own in the mid-range. So, was the QC so good that they filtered out all the defects for rework and repair? Or did you maybe work at factory in later years? Or am I missing something?

I was also wondering if you could clear up a statement by another forum member who worked at the Sekine hangar. He stated the all the frames were CrMo and were silver soldered. I thought CrMo was only used on the SHS and above. The seatposts on the SHA and SHB/SHC seem too small in diameter to be CrMo. Also, I've sectioned an SHC frame that was damaged beyond repair and brass appears to have been used to join the tubes. But maybe you wouldn't know, if the frames were not manufactured in Canada.

The poster also stated that the factory closed in 1983, as there was a 10 year directive to make a profit. So, did Acklands continue to operate the facility until 1983? Did they continue to manufacture the Sekine brand after they took over?

Sorry to put you on the spot, but I thought I should take the opportunity to clarify some points, while we have you available. If you'd rasther discuss it provastely, you can PM me.
Old 06-17-07, 08:24 PM
DMcdowell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys

Got a bit of a story for you. I just came into the possession of two Sekine 5-Speeds. One is a ladies model, and the other is a men's. They were originally my mother's and father's. After my father passed away, my Mom gave them to her brother. Some 17 years later, I called up my uncle and asked if he still had the bikes. Turns out he does, and he was willing to give them back. Despite being a bit dirty, they are in great shape.

Components are as follows:

Shimano Tourney Brakes
Shimano 500 front & rear derailleurs
Suntour Power Shifters
Sekai SR Crank 52:40
Shimano Hubs
Made in Canada

Here are some pictures of the men's bike after a little cleanup

A couple questions:

Where would this model be (I was assuming mid-level) on the scale of Sekine bikes?

Is there any new wheelsets I could add to the bike? The originals have started to rust and are not quick-release.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.