Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rivendell needs help.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Rivendell needs help.

Old 02-21-18, 06:46 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Rivendell needs help.

He’s calling it the Hail Mary to help with cash flow, and the ask arrived via his email blast. Whatever you think of Grant, I found him personable and helpful when I came across him in the store and asked for advice. I just bought mine...

https://www.rivbike.com/products/hail-mary-store-credit
Old 02-21-18, 07:01 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3653 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
Bummer. Cycling hobby would be diminished w/o Riv in the mix, IMO.
Old 02-21-18, 07:24 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
It sounds like they have a short-term winter cash flow problem, and a major bill coming due.

Bike Friday has done a couple of things in the last couple of years. They introduced two new products using Kickstarter, getting some hype and pre-orders for those products.

They also decided to sell stocks. Kind of an odd idea, but I think it was designed to support their winter cash flow, and perhaps a major management change.
Old 02-21-18, 07:26 PM
rshelton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Bummer. Cycling hobby would be diminished w/o Riv in the mix, IMO.
I agree. Whether I use it our not, I just bought a gift card.
Old 02-21-18, 11:36 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
In
Old 02-22-18, 12:43 AM
bikor 

Bikes: 86 trek 400, 85 trek 720, 85 trek 620, 84 trek 520, 69 raleigh sports

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In. Plus I'd been meaning to pick up a couple of Zefal pumps anyway...
Old 02-22-18, 12:56 AM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 746 Times in 407 Posts
Here's another happy to help support.
Old 02-22-18, 04:17 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 81 Posts
Thanks for mentioning this. I bought a few.
Old 02-22-18, 07:43 AM
bikiola
royal dutch of dukes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone else have an issue with essentially giving an interest-free loan to a private company for no reason?
Old 02-22-18, 07:50 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bikiola
Anyone else have an issue with essentially giving an interest-free loan to a private company for no reason?
Presumably those choosing to do so have a reason - they see a benefit in having that company survive. Similar to those willing to pay more to buy their bicycling supplies from the LBS instead of online.
Old 02-22-18, 07:54 AM
bikiola
royal dutch of dukes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
Similar to those willing to pay more to buy their bicycling supplies from the LBS instead of online.
This is a great point and but it is not a interest-free loan. There is a crucial difference here.
Old 02-22-18, 07:58 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,470 Times in 2,079 Posts
No. I have no interest in telling people how they should spend their money.
Old 02-22-18, 08:04 AM
bikiola
royal dutch of dukes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
No. I have no interest in telling people how they should spend their money.
Cool, will you give me 50k interest free and I'll return you 50k in 3 years?
Old 02-22-18, 08:10 AM
bikemig 

Cool, will you give me 50k interest free and I'll return you 50k in 3 years?
That's a complete non sequitur. To be blunt, I don't give a damn about you and I have no interest in lending you a plugged nickel.

Why would you care that some people like the company and want to buy a store credit to help the company out? I would hope that there more important things in your life to get pissed off at.

Last edited by bikemig; 02-22-18 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-22-18, 08:16 AM
bikiola
royal dutch of dukes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a complete non sequitur. To be blunt, I don't give a damn about you and I have no interest in lending you a plugged nickel.

Why would you care that some people like the company and want to buy a store credit to help the company out? I would hope that there more important things in your life to get pissed off at.
I'm not pissed at all. I'm merely raising a point about a phenomenon in current business life - from kickstarter to "service plans" to this kind of thing - its about providing working capital, for free, to private entities. I apologize if that observation makes you angry...
Old 02-22-18, 08:20 AM
bikemig 

I'm not pissed at all. I'm merely raising a point about a phenomenon in current business life - from kickstarter to "service plans" to this kind of thing - its about providing working capital, for free, to private entities. I apologize if that observation makes you angry...
lol, it doesn't make me mad. I just can't figure out why you get bothered by what people do with their money. You still haven't even tried to answer that question. Your previous response--that someone willing to give up $10 to Rivendell should be willing to give you $50k--is a way of making fun of those people but it is unresponsive to my question.

Why is this any different than people putting up money for causes they believe in? That's obviously why people are putting up $10 here.

Last edited by bikemig; 02-22-18 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-22-18, 08:29 AM
RECfromPA

Bikes: 2016 Rivendell Joe Appaloosa, 2017 Handsome Cycles She-Devil

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think cash flow is an issue at many bike shops, in general.

From the website in noobinsf's message:

We’ve always provided special gear and encouraged any kind of riding that doesn’t require training, conquering nature, or beating others. We’ve designed and made good gear that enables a personal approach, as opposed to a sports-approach, to riding your bike. Going on 24 years.

We’re struggling now, though. Not with design, sourcing, marketing, but with cash flow. That’s always been the monkey on our back, but now it’s more like King Kong.

Bad planning and over-optimism—both my fault—and some unfortunate timing that was out of our control, have created a threat we might not be able to ride out unless we chuck up a Hail Mary that works, so here it is.

We hope two-thirds of you will buy a $10 credit—for $10—to be used whenever you want. And there’s a bonus: A new printed frame and bike catalog will be at the printer by the end of March (it’s too late to pull out now). We’ll print one for every $10 credit sold, plus 250 extras, and we’ll send it with the first order you place after April. Of course we’ll put it online too, so the information will be available to you regardless, but it seems right to offer a paper catalog option for our analog bikes.

Will you, before Monday, buy a $10 credit toward a future purchase and a paper catalog? Just add the "Catalog Cashflow Special" to your cart. You'll receive a code you can use immediately. Onward ho?

-Grant, on behalf of me, Robert, Jenny, Spencer, Mark, Dave, Will, Roman, Corey, Harry, Mary, Vince, and Rich.
Old 02-22-18, 08:29 AM
VRC

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Obviously you do so don't. But people do this every time they buy a "gift card".
Old 02-22-18, 08:31 AM
bikiola
royal dutch of dukes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol, it doesn't make me mad. I just can't figure out why you get bothered by what people do with their money. You still haven't even tried to answer that question. Your previous response--that someone willing to give up $10 to Rivendell should be willing to give you $50k--is a way of making fun of those people but it is unresponsive to my question.

Why is this any different than people putting up money for causes they believe in? That's obviously why people are putting up $10 here.
Its not making fun at all. Say you gave me 50K. I invest it - or gamble it, whatever - and get $150k in 3 years. Then I return your 50K. You've made zero money, in fact lost money, while I've made $100k. That to me is a little ingracious. You are losing money here because during that three years, with a 3% inflation, your $50k you gave me is now 48k...

Other companies that have done similar things - eg Outlier's "upfront" campaign - at least gave a future discount on a product. So. I gave them $200. I "received" $220 back (in credit after a certain date). That makes much more sense to me.

Also, how is different from donation? Thats obvious. Those are companies whose "product" is activism; you're paying for their staff and their advocacy and transportation and whatever, transparently.
Old 02-22-18, 08:33 AM
bikemig 

Its not making fun at all. Say you gave me 50K. I invest it - or gamble it, whatever - and get $150k in 3 years. Then I return your 50K. You've made zero money, in fact lost money, while I've made $100k. That to me is a little ingracious. You are losing money here because during that three years, with a 3% inflation, your $50k you gave me is now 48k...

Other companies that have done similar things - eg Outlier's "upfront" campaign - at least gave a future discount on a product. So. I gave them $200. I "received" $220 back (in credit after a certain date). That makes much more sense to me.

Also, how is different from donation? Thats obvious. Those are companies whose "product" is activism; you're paying for their staff and their advocacy and transportation and whatever, transparently.
Of course it is making fun of people to say that if they are willing to buy a $10 gift card from Rivendell, they are stupid enough to give a complete stranger on the 'Net $50k

By the way, you obviously haven't read the posts here as to why people think Rivendell is worth supporting if you think there is no element of "activism" here.

Last edited by bikemig; 02-22-18 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-22-18, 08:34 AM
bikiola
royal dutch of dukes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VRC
Obviously you do so don't. But people do this every time they buy a "gift card".
Fair enough. I think gift cards are an insane grift and should come with a warning from the CFPB based on how transparently its a redistribution of wealth to corporations...
Old 02-22-18, 08:37 AM
bikiola
royal dutch of dukes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of course it is making fun of people to say that if they are willing to buy a $10 gift card from Rivendell, they are stupid enough to give a complete stranger on the 'Net $50k

By the way, you obviously haven't read the posts here as to why people think Rivendell is worth supporting.
In fact, I have, and in fact, I've bought more than a few things from Rivbike over the years. Doesn't change my opinion on this.
Old 02-22-18, 09:03 AM
9volt 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
they see a benefit in having that company survive.
This. And to support the cycling community.
Old 02-22-18, 09:05 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
I have a problem with others giving my tax dollars interest free to corporations and sports arenas.
Old 02-22-18, 09:14 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Back to the main event, I ran down to the savings and loan and deposited some cash, because I like George Bailey, and I think the world is a better place with him around.

Besides, I could use a few things, and decided to spend it there rather than with Mr. Potter.

But really, I've known Grant since before Rivendell, and ridden a few times with him. A friend in need, I have no problem helping out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.