Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Tips for first timers heading up Mt. Hamilton?

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Tips for first timers heading up Mt. Hamilton?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-13, 08:42 AM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This is a topic that has garnered much attention in the media especially following a wsj article last year on the concerns that training for distance running was bad for your heart (due to the cumulative effects of a long term inflammatory state) - I really like this blog written by an electrophysiologist and bike racer https://www.drjohnm.org/2012/12/exerc...eep-it-simple/ he has a few well balanced things to sat.

Also, he notes Steve Tilford's blog in his page, which can be found here https://stevetilford.com/2012/12/04/a...ng-our-hearts/

To me this is fascinating science and underlines a few things I've thought for a while - rest and recovery is important, balance is good, but on the whole I'm left to conclude that for the majority of folks on this board it should make no difference, this is certainly not the same thing as saying that climbing Ham at Threshold is likely to cause an MI. It's more about long term stresses and lifestyle.

My $0.02
Old 02-19-18, 10:38 PM
pcutt

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm planning to ride Mt. Hamilton soon and would drive to the general starting point with my bike in the car, but where to park? Google maps and Strava don't give me any obvious clues since the Alum Rock Ave. and Mt. Hamilton Rd. intersection looks like it's in a residential neighborhood and lacks parking. I appreciate any parking suggestions you can offer. Thanks!

Last edited by pcutt; 02-19-18 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-20-18, 12:10 AM
shrimp123

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
regd parking :
if you are starting on Hamilton Rd, the intersection with Alum Rock rd is a dirt park lot. Note, however, that i would not call it entirely "safe". Its not dangerous, but, not completely great either. Now, go past McGee (away from Hamilton rd) and there are a few residential streets. Again same warning. Some homes are great and even helped me with water on one hot ride. There were others who were, lets say, very possessive of the asphalt in front of their house

If you are starting on Quimby, that is a very upscale neighborhood. So, anythin on Morillo, Ruby or (as i use) Aburn-x-Voltaire/Mosher is a very safe bet.

side note : if you use Quimby, be careful on the 2 S-bends on the downhill side. On the way back, slow is a saint.
Old 02-21-18, 03:39 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
I park at Piedmont Middle School. It's not right at the foot of the climb, but it gives me a decent warm up, I'd actually prefer it to be a bit longer. From there, it's Piedmont to Penitencia to Toyon to McKee to Alum Rock.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pi...449704!5m1!1e1

Never had a problem with someone shooing me away, and most of the time there are other cars in the lot to keep it more safe. It's also right on a major road, knock on wood, I've never had any issue. But I never leave anything of value in my car ever, no matter where I am.
Old 02-21-18, 03:47 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Why is the parking at Alum Rock so bad? I'm not doubting it is, but it seems like there are all kinds of stories of people getting their cars broken into there. Isn't there enough traffic, and people coming and going in that parking area to dissuade thieves? I've parked in way worse areas and the whole time riding be worried about my car, but I don't understand why that Alum Rock area is so bad? Again, not doubting it, just would think it is too busy a place to be a crime hotbed...
Old 02-23-18, 01:02 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
Why is the parking at Alum Rock so bad? I'm not doubting it is, but it seems like there are all kinds of stories of people getting their cars broken into there. Isn't there enough traffic, and people coming and going in that parking area to dissuade thieves? I've parked in way worse areas and the whole time riding be worried about my car, but I don't understand why that Alum Rock area is so bad? Again, not doubting it, just would think it is too busy a place to be a crime hotbed...
You would think, but as my broken window and missing messenger bag showed last year it is not.
You can park there, but don't leave anything visible, or just park in a near by neighborhood.
Old 02-23-18, 05:44 PM
cthenn

Yeah I remember your post. But strange that just going a few blocks makes it safer. I guess for some reason that's a hotspot for thieves. Strange...
Old 02-24-18, 08:28 AM
jarazmek

Bikes: Lynskey R360, Cannondale CAAD10, Specialized Roubaix, La Pierre Zesty 729 ei, Specialized Epic Marathon, State bicycle fixie, state bicycle single speed

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just get your head down and kill it.
Old 02-25-18, 12:21 AM
shrimp123

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Why is the parking at Alum Rock so bad?
during the day, its pretty ok, lotsa light, traffic and walkers. But after nightfall, that area is not lit and is a sought out spot for "activity". In fact, i have caught interesting fragrant smoke a few times when i rode in after dark.

as others have stated, if there is no obviously visible attraction, things should be fine. fingers crossed.
Old 03-08-18, 10:51 PM
pcutt

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP here.

Thanks for the info, it's helpful to know not only where to park, but what "issues" there may be.

Keep 'em coming.

Thanks!
Old 03-11-18, 11:11 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Yeah I remember your post. But strange that just going a few blocks makes it safer. I guess for some reason that's a hotspot for thieves. Strange...

Well few blocks is in the residential area. I am guessing there it's much easier get away, and higher chance someone will leave stuff in the car as they go for a hike or a ride.
Old 05-01-18, 10:30 PM
SClaraPokeman

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
There are some really nice homes on tree lined streets near the San Jose country club that I always used to park and never had a problem. Just avoid parking right in front of someone's home and they usually don't get too territorial about it. I'd usually park along a fence encompassing a side yard...

The nice thing about starting a bike ride from where you park your car is that you have flexibility about where you start. It's not like you have to be "right on" the route.

I started reading through this thread today because I miss Mt. Hamilton. I didn't realize at first that it had been resurrected from the crypt and noticed that some of the posts seemed to be similar to my writing style. Then I finally realized that it was in fact five year younger me. I live in the Seattle area now and there really isn't to my knowledge of plethera of paved climbs going from 1,000 feet up to 4,000 feet so readily available with mostly consistant grades. Terrain in Puget Sound is glacially carved and short and stumpy. Only one climb that i can actually ride to that's even 1,000 feet high (and it has a 25% RH curve that I barely can keep above stall speed on). Not to say there isn't good road riding here (there is) but I do miss a lot about the valley.