Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Tips on increasing speed on hybrid

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Tips on increasing speed on hybrid

Old 04-20-19, 08:52 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
#1 Put lighter weight 700x25 road tires and light weight rims/wheels on your bike.

#2 Hire a coach. To build speed you need to work on speed. That means structured interval training. It's hard, but it's the most efficient way to do what you're wanting to do.

Don't just ride more. Ride smarter!
Old 09-30-19, 12:09 PM
CyclingBK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Since I started just a few months ago, I’m just calculating my speed by my distance vs time.

Im only averaging about 14 miles distance on my rides now but am working toward 20. Mostly, I’m going an average of 13.5 mph. But on one ride, I pushed it and averaged 14.8. So, definitely fitness is the biggest factor, I would think.

The loop I ride is interesting, it’s basically a flat, then downhill, then flat, them uphill to the original flat, it’s just about 3.4 miles. I see the fitness improvements most clearly on the hill and being able to do it in lower and lower gears with the same cadence.

The bike is 27 lbs, 700c hybrid type tires.

The biggest thing that slows me down compared to road bikes is the wind resistance from the upright posture. On steeper downhills, road bikes can coast and I’ll have to pedal to keep up. I crouched low one time just to see and it made a big difference. But, for now, I’m really just in it for fitness and my speed improvements are just measured against myself. I figure I’m actually getting an even better workout cycling through the wind anyway ; )

Last edited by CyclingBK; 09-30-19 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-30-19, 12:58 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Originally Posted by CyclingBK
Since I started just a few months ago, I’m just calculating my speed by my distance vs time.

Im only averaging about 14 miles distance on my rides now but am working toward 20. Mostly, I’m going an average of 13.5 mph. But on one ride, I pushed it and averaged 14.8. So, definitely fitness is the biggest factor, I would think.

The loop I ride is interesting, it’s basically a flat, then downhill, then flat, them uphill to the original flat, it’s just about 3.4 miles. I see the fitness improvements most clearly on the hill and being able to do it in lower and lower gears with the same cadence.

The bike is 27 lbs, 700c hybrid type tires.

The biggest thing that slows me down compared to road bikes is the wind resistance from the upright posture. On steeper downhills, road bikes can coast and I’ll have to pedal to keep up. I crouched low one time just to see and it made a big difference. But, for now, I’m really just in it for fitness and my speed improvements are just measured against myself. I figure I’m actually getting an even better workout cycling through the wind anyway ; )
Good for you! Don't forget to enjoy the scenery, and sometimes just ride for fun.
Likes For Korina:
Old 09-30-19, 01:17 PM
CyclingBK

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Korina
Good for you! Don't forget to enjoy the scenery, and sometimes just ride for fun.
Thanks and great point! I’ve been so into the “fitness “ part but am appreciating the sights and sounds more and more. Today was actually the first time I got off the bike during a ride to take this pic
Likes For CyclingBK:
Old 09-30-19, 02:04 PM
ridingfool

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Sal Bandini
You realize that the current speed to desired speed is 25%-33% improvement, right? I wish it were that easy to just change components and/or spin at 90 to get that increase. Your best way to get towards that goal is to reduce weight (yours) and just bike more to get your power up.
We'll put it doesn't seem like much only 3mph more but takes a lot more effort especially if 25 percent of his ride is on gravel . Not hard to do though just increase the miles by about 10 percent a week for about 3 months and you will be right about there.
Old 09-30-19, 10:36 PM
Meech33

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 38 Posts
Inexpensive carbon wheelset.
Old 10-03-19, 09:48 AM
Jmpierce

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 1989 Bianchi CdI, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 120 Posts
How about a gear change? My Hybrid's large chain ring was a 48 and my road bike is a 52. Not sure what the OP is running but riding more and a bigger chain ring should help.
Old 10-21-19, 07:44 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 430 Posts
If you are running your tire pressure at the max, you may want to lower it a little. Evidently, running at max pressure might not make you faster (contrary to what we may have thought), at least according to this article: https://www.roadbikerider.com/the-ti...-jan-heine-d1/