Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Who rides the Maruishi MT18?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Who rides the Maruishi MT18?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-19, 11:10 AM
JackTheRipr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Serial number

DP12926, taken from seat tube
Old 05-26-19, 06:37 PM
dirtworks

Bikes: Over 40 bikes..

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
Hello Jack, good on you for taking it under your wing. I haven't seen yours yet but I'd toss the cassette and install a new one. A decent modern replacement is so cheap you might as well. Good thing the saddle is gone; this means you can put one on there for your particular physiology. Hopefully the bottom bracket/stem/seatpost all are freely movable. The seat may have acted like a bit of an umbrella to prevent the elements from drizzling down the seat tube. These frames are of adequate quality to take the time to build something onto. Keep this thread posted!
I would share pictures of mine with you, but the forum wont let me yet..
Old 09-03-19, 11:44 AM
dirtworks

Bikes: Over 40 bikes..

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
I haven't ridden one but have seen a few. The MT18,(aka Mountace), came out circa 1984. The frames were initially plain gauge CrMo. In 1985, it was upgraded to double butted CrMo and lighter rims, dropping almost 2 lbs. While the tubing decal was generic, the 1985 version stated "butted frame tubes". Since you don't mention this, I assume you have the 1984 model. The tubing, at least in 1985, was made by Ishiwata. If you remove the fork, there may be a manufacturer's logo and date code,on the steerer tube. The serial number should also tell us the manufacturer date and consequently, the model year. The seat post size,is a good indicator of tubing grade.

The components were mostly top notch for the day. The only thing really holding a 1984 MT18 back from being called high end, was the plain gauge tubing and Japanese heritage, though even that was arguable.
Mine is a green metallic, what colors did they come in?
Old 09-03-19, 05:26 PM
aeshultz
Somewhat slow older guy

Bikes: '83 Trek 311, '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '06 LeMond Poprad, '07 LeMond plastic bike, '06 Serotta CSI, Surly Cross Check, and a few others.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Just to spread the Mariushi love, I recently picked up this '85-'86 TourAce TA18 touring bike from a former member- it is very similar to the MA mountain bikes.
Old 09-11-19, 02:26 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 212 Posts
Hey, nice old tourer frame you've got there. Didn't know Maruishi made one.
Old 09-17-19, 03:42 PM
montclairbobbyb 
Recovering Bikeaholic

Bikes: 84 Specialized Expedtion, 85 StumpJumper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 2019 VO Polyvalent, 2007 Niner MCR, 2008 Niner SIR

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 47 Posts
Maruishi Mountace... the original was first a 15-speed version (before the MT18)

Does anyone here ride the Maruishi MT18? It's a Japanese made, steel, lugged frame. The tubing decal states cro-mo tubing but no other MFG / calibre identifiers.
I just finished overhauling a 1983/84 Mountace (15-speed) that I bought a few years ago. It was 100% original. This was the first Mountace model from Maruishi, and (like the MT18) this came with Deore (Deerhead) components; HOWEVER the first Mountace came with a Deore touring crankset (including those wacky "Dyna Drive" pedals with the oversized spindles). I replaced the pedals (which required special inserts to downsize the spindle hole to the normal 9/16"); I also swapped the 5-speed freewheel for a 6-speed, new rubber, cables, brake pads, and Brooks Conquest saddle. This model was the very first mountain bike I ever rode back in 1985, so it holds real sentimental value. As a trail bike it was a beast and a lot of fun, but way too klunky, with a super long wheelbase and a relaxed 68 degree fork (which ironically seems to be the current trend)... and THIS IS STILL A BEAST, and a PERFECT round-town cruiser. The Deerhead components were overbuilt and of high quality. (I think Shimano must have realized they would last forever, and started using less "durable" materials... oh well.) This is simply a sturdy, way-cool looking ride... and it should last another 35 years!!

I can't post pics until I get 10 posts (PLEASE change that silly rule... many, including myself have been responsibly posting for years)... THANK YOU!

Peace,

BB
Old 10-09-19, 09:01 AM
montclairbobbyb 
Recovering Bikeaholic

Bikes: 84 Specialized Expedtion, 85 StumpJumper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 2019 VO Polyvalent, 2007 Niner MCR, 2008 Niner SIR

Maruishi Mountace 15 - PICS!

At long last... pics of my Maruishi Mountace 15-speed (converted to 18-speed). Lugged chromoly, built like a tank, overbuilt Shimano shifters and brakes... This bike will outlive all of us. It's NOT a show bike; it's a RIDER... and a damn fine one that will hopefully continue to look good for ANOTHER 35 years (before the next refresh)!

Peace, BobbyB

After the rebuild. New rubber, brake and shifter cabling, brake pads, 6-speed freewheel (requiring minor re-dishing), saddle, and adapters for cranks to accept 9/16 pedal spindle.

Rebuilt the shifters... they shift like butter

Love this first gen Deore group, except the pedal spindle holes were oversized, to accommodate those wacky "Dyna Drive" pedals... Thankfully you can find inserts to accept "normal" pedals.

Insanely long wheelbase makes for a super comfy (ride). Not the most nimble beast on trails, but for gravel and dirt roads??? Forgettaboutit... this was MADE for rough back roads.

2-day test ride on the Paulinskill Trail (in northwest NJ)... Oh what fun to ride this beauty

Cornfield near my house... this bike is right at home out in the country.
Likes For montclairbobbyb:
Old 10-10-19, 04:29 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
That is absolutely fantastic! I love the Kojak tires on that!
Old 10-10-19, 08:24 PM
montclairbobbyb 
Recovering Bikeaholic

Originally Posted by DiegoFrogs
That is absolutely fantastic! I love the Kojak tires on that!
Thx, I also run Kojak's on another bike, a Handsome XOXO (XO-1 knockoff). Great road tires. Other than in loose mud, they roll very nicely over a variety of terrain. BB
Old 04-28-20, 07:13 AM
NitroExpress

Bikes: 1974 Mirella ~ Campy Record Group, 1985 Maruishi Mountain Ace 18, 1999 Waterford 2200, 2023 Poseidon X Ambition (with lots of upgrades)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 23 Posts
I have not been on the site in a while, but very nice bike! I'd give my eye teeth for the chrome bars! Was actually thinking about having mine chromed. I've also been looking at your type of saddle, are you happy with it?
Old 04-28-20, 06:21 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Some real nice handiwork on those finished bikes. Don't you just love the acreage between the seat tube and the rear tire.
Old 05-03-20, 06:45 PM
montclairbobbyb 
Recovering Bikeaholic

Originally Posted by NitroExpress
I have not been on the site in a while, but very nice bike! I'd give my eye teeth for the chrome bars! Was actually thinking about having mine chromed. I've also been looking at your type of saddle, are you happy with it?
I'm an old sucker for Brooks saddles... this is a Conquest, a somewhat rare sprung MTB saddle. Love it, but it lacks saddle bag loops. The Flyer Special is positively the bee's knees (IMO).

Last edited by montclairbobbyb; 07-21-20 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-03-20, 06:51 PM
montclairbobbyb 
Recovering Bikeaholic

Some real nice handiwork on those finished bikes. Don't you just love the acreage between the seat tube and the rear tire.
Funny, these were built for stability... But due to the long wheelbase they weren't all that nimble as true MTBs back in the 80s, and they got brushed aside by hoardes of shorter wheelbase, lighter and more agressive frame geometry designs that followed. And yet 35 years later these make awesome dirt road touring bikes! I was so lucky to find this Mountace; a true classic gem.
Old 05-28-20, 09:44 AM
NitroExpress

Bikes: 1974 Mirella ~ Campy Record Group, 1985 Maruishi Mountain Ace 18, 1999 Waterford 2200, 2023 Poseidon X Ambition (with lots of upgrades)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 23 Posts

So here is one of my bikes, all original (except the tires & tubes) down to the saddle...
Likes For NitroExpress:
Old 05-31-20, 07:02 PM
montclairbobbyb 
Recovering Bikeaholic

Originally Posted by NitroExpress

So here is one of my bikes, all original (except the tires & tubes) down to the saddle...
Wow, what a beauty. 😎👍🌄
Old 07-25-20, 09:48 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
I just saw these posts because of the bump and thought you might be interested in the story behind the kangaroo mascot. Maruishi started importing British bicycles in 1884, when bicycles were the penny farthing style (aka hi-wheeler or ordinary) with a very large front wheel and very small rear wheel. The Japanese had seen a British gentleman riding one, dressed in a swallow tail coat, and thought he looked like a kangaroo running in the fields. The description spread and "kangaroo" became Japanese slang for "bicycle" in late 19th century, resulting in Maruishi adopting it as their logo.
What a great story!
Here's the Mountace M15 I recently snagged. I'm still trying to figure out the year, as with 15 speeds I assumed it was an earlier one. However the only component that has a readable date code is the Suntour front derailleur, with a CF (June '86) date stamp.
The rear derailleur has been replaced, as well as the saddle and rear tire. Maybe the bars and stem as well? Suntour thumbies. Hubs are high-flange Sunshine.

Old 10-21-20, 07:48 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

I'll probably re-paint the one I've got. It's a tough call though. The minute a guy spends any sort of money or effort restoring an old bike, a nicer or more relevant one comes along. From what I see in this thread, there was a lighter framed version of the MT-18. It would be more prudent to put time / money into the lighter version, not the one I have. It's a coin toss. The Maruishi frame is basically a backup in case the main riding bike gets stolen; too difficult to find an xl frame when you need one. Pays to have spare frames, just like spare tires. I used to have a Lee World Mountain Sport for that purpose but it was effectively unusable due to seriously frozen in place BB/Seatpost.
Old 03-20-23, 02:42 PM
montclairbobbyb 
Recovering Bikeaholic

The Cycle of Karma… Maroosh II

Funny how Karma works… even though I don't think I fully understand it.

Take my 1984 Maruishi MT-15 Mountace, for example. The very first mountain bike I ever rode (in early Spring of 1985)… was an identical Mountace that my friend had acquired (cheap) from a guy who had bought it weeks earlier and decided this MTB thing wasn't for him. That first ride I will NEVER forget. I was hooked for life. I was especially smitten with the bomb-proof build of the frame, the beefy wheels and the over-built Deore XT componentry of this beast… The world of cycling had spawned a new breed that would endure the ages, of that I was certain.

Fast forward 30+ years. The original Maroosh (as we came to call it), having since been gifted to a mutual friend in the late 80s, with several repaints and numerous reconfigurations in its life, remains a cherished steed in my friend's stable. And it still looks like it can barrel over terrain and through bushes like nobody's business. One day a few years back, while meeting up with an eBay seller of a mid-80s Maruishi MTB (for my daughter in Boston), I commented to him how much I loved Maruishis. He was an active bike collector/ flipper and he revealed that he had another Maruishi in his hoard… a Mountace! When he rolled it out my heart skipped a beat… It was the EXACT model, color, year, size, components and all… identical to my friend's Mountace. I tried to hide my excitement and asked if he'd sell it. Yes, came his answer, and we worked out a very nice deal on the spot.

So I headed home with TWO Maruishis on my rack, one bound for Boston, the other for my shop, where I set to work sprucing it up. It was in remarkably good shape for its age. After a bit of refurb, new rubber, cables, and a gorgeous Brooks Conquest saddle the Maroosh was back on the awesome rural backways of Western NJ (those in the know will appreciate the quality of the riding we have in Hunterdon Co). And by the way you may have seen my posting & photos earlier in this thread... it's the black Mountace with the gold and white MARUISHI on the main tube. (I must say Maruishi changed its lettering/logo quite a bit over the years, but this particular one has always been my favorite look). And it also features the beautiful kangaroo head badge.

But alas, the story takes an odd twist (befitting of true Karma, I suppose)... After some deep introspection I decided to donate my embarrassingly large hoard of vintage bikes to a local charity, and along with it went the Maroosh. I was sure someone would appreciate these bikes. Admittedly I missed them, but I knew in my heart they belonged elsewhere… and while occasionally getting mired in nostalgia over a few of the more unique steeds in the hoard (including the Maroosh), I resolved to simply let it go.

Then, just a few months ago while trolling the local Craigslist (you know, part of the look-but-never-buy therapy of a recovering C&V hoarder), I stumbled upon a Mountace frame set for sale. It was the same identical frame as "MY" Maroosh. Upon closer zooming of the photos, comparing it to my old photos I soon realized it actually WAS my old Maroosh!! Apparently the seller had parted out the other components (which were really nice, but not entirely irreplaceable) and now had the frame set listed for sale. Fortunately (for me) I thought the price was higher than anyone (except a sucker like me) would be willing to pay for this rather obscure, unknown bike. I contacted the seller (who it turns out I knew) and asked him if the frame set didn't sell within 1-2 month's time would he possibly consider a trade?

Weeks went by, no commitment from the seller, and the ad was still up. I was relentless in my pursuit of a trade, and offered 2 marketable older road bikes AND a set of rare bullmoose handlebars in a hostage trade… FINALLY we had a deal! (Thank you, CM. You ARE a true gentleman.)

Today (just a few weeks later) the "Maroosh II" rolled out of my shop… Similar to the first build, I think it's actually a step up in terms of components, without sacrificing the original, minimalist vibe of this first generation mountain bike. I laced up new wheels: Araya RM25 rims, Shimano 7-speed freewheel hub and SRAM iLight dynamo hub on the front, with a killer B&M LED dynamo light mounted to the handlebars. I also chose an unconventional (yet thoughtful) mix of Suntour and Shimano gearing and brakes, with a nice old set of TRP Cyclocross cantis (which have a bit of that old Mafac panache), and of course a proper Brooks (Conquest) saddle. And while I can rationalize the choices I made, TRUTH is I did the entire build from leftover parts in my inventory (I told you I'm STILL recovering and had to hold onto a FEW things).

One lesson that Karma has taught me here. We are but keepers of these bikes, and to me this is both a duty AND an honor. I also realize that I need to remain keeper of THIS Maroosh… AND ride it…for its proper time. Enjoy these bikes… sometimes they are simply WORTH holding onto. ☮️

Behold... The Maroosh II

This bike screams for a sprung Brooks. And the Hite-Rite seat spring was an extra kicker... had this laying around FOREVER!!!

Mid-90s XT derailleurs are simply awesome, and my spare Sakae SX triple (finally) came in handy for this build

SRAM iLight dynamo is a great hub, and dramatically extends my path riding hours. TRP cantis, although some 25 years newer than the originals, maintain the classic look of this bike.

Old Suntour Power Brake levers work like a dream with the TRP cantis. And Suntour XC Power thumbies?...They are the bees knees

B&M Lumotec IQ CyoT - 80 lux with stand light. Nice, dependable LED dynamo light.
Old 04-07-23, 04:27 AM
craym0nk

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wanted to add some photos of my MT18 and wrote a lengthy rambling post, but was denied because of the 10 post newbie rule. I'll paste the rambling below and hopefully I can add the photos later since this seems to be the sole source of Maruishi info online.

Here's a few pics of my MountAce MT18. Please ignore the chunky gel saddle, my Dad has been riding it and adjusted the geometry to suit his aging body. Sadly the awesome bar ends are my doing. I have had this bike since the early '90s I believe. It was my first full size bike after graduating from a 20" BMX. It came with the pannier rack and a small red bag attached to it as well as a nice frame pump. I rode it happily for many years, then I rode it sadly for a few more. I say this because it was the mid 90's and everyone else was getting new bikes with RockShox and Manitous but I was stuck with this daggy old touring bike. I actually replaced the bullmoose handle bars with a black quill stem, black bars and bar ends in attempt to modernise it. Thankfully Dad kept the originals. I recall the rear hub being replaced and wheel rebuilt by old man Marshall of Marshall Cycles in Norlane after I somehow managed to ruin the cups from thrashing it after a hamfisted servicing.

As you can see by the last image, the bike was sold by Allied Cycles in East Detroit, but now lives in Geelong, Victoria Australia. It made it's way across the sea's in the hands of a contractor from Ford Motor Company who worked with my Dad. Geelong being the home of FoMoCo in Australia and well, you all know about Detroit.

I used to ride to school and tour all over Geelong on this bike with my mates. Many fond memories of packing a picnic lunch and heading out to the YouYangs (about 25km one-way), climbing the hill and then bombing it one single time before riding home. I last rode this bike in the 2014 Melburn Roobaix and it did an amazing job handling the cobblestone laneways and back alleys on a particularly wet and stormy Melbourne Day. What a beast! Maybe one day I'll bring it over west and add it to my curent stable. For now it sits gathering dust at Mum & Dad's in Geelong.
Old 04-18-23, 06:27 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

I'm going to have the rear dropouts respaced next week from what measures as 124 to 132 prior to having it painted. I have a nice wheelset to go on this bike; 7spd Shimano DX hubs and Mavic Oxygen M6 rims which don't appear to have seen much use. The rims looked to be polished. It's a decent frame but I am hesistant to put too much $ into it.