Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My N.C. club is resuming group rides

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

My N.C. club is resuming group rides

Old 05-21-20, 09:20 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4268 Post(s)
Liked 2,938 Times in 1,812 Posts
My understanding is that my local club will not begin group rides until they get a green light from their insurance carrier.

There is a liability issue, no?
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 05-21-20, 09:27 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Originally Posted by 2seven0
News flash: "Until it's safe" means NEVER!! I guess FDR was just a blithering fool to have opined that the only thing we had to fear was fear itself. Shake the fairy dust from your skirts and go out and live your life for crying out loud!
Land of the free and home of the brave????
I weep for the future of my country.
West
I count myself among what I think is a fairly large population in this sub-forum. Namely, I won't engage in debate with you here because you have digressed to a topic that does not belong in this subforum. If you don't believe me, keep posting here and see how the mods respond.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 05-21-20, 09:37 PM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by RJM
Cycling is a great activity to perform solo during the pandemic, but riding right behind one or several riders is foolish right now,
Agree. But riding solo can have unexpected risks too. On this morning's ride, I came to a stop at a red light, just behind a car. 3 guys in the car. Guy in the back seat opens up the car door, leans out, and sneezes. WTF! I don't wear a mask whilst riding because I'm riding on roads and I don't expect to come in proximal contact with people. Yeah, this spooked me.
Old 05-21-20, 11:38 PM
intence

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My local group seems to be resuming group rides, not sure if they're officially sanctioned or if people are just getting together at the designated times. Either way, drafting the rider in front of you doesn't seem like a smart idea right now since there's sweat, spit, mucus, and who knows what else flying around in the peloton. I'd personally be cautious for the next few weeks as we see everything open up, might go totally smoothly or it might not. Great time to be doing training rides and depending on where you live, just exploring to see something new.
Old 05-22-20, 06:19 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by CoogansBluff
I wonder what our friendly motorists would think of a train of 10 riders, each spaced 60 feet apart, stretching two football fields.
Some of the popular cycling roads in this area already look that way on nice weather days, even though the riders doing this don't know each other.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 05-22-20, 07:30 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Absolutely no risk on group rides until someone blows a snot rocket (so about 30s).
Old 05-22-20, 07:42 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,298 Times in 7,231 Posts
News flash: "Until it's safe" means NEVER!! I guess FDR was just a blithering fool to have opined that the only thing we had to fear was fear itself. Shake the fairy dust from your skirts and go out and live your life for crying out loud!
West
Originally Posted by HTupolev
You realize that quote was part of a rallying cry for Americans to trust government efforts to mitigate a crisis, right?
Originally Posted by WhyFi
FDR had polio, founded the March of Dimes and focused a ton of effort on furthering the study communicable diseases. So yeah, kudos on the great example.
You got owned, and you can't refute that.

But I am not surprised. Flag wearers often don't understand what they are talking about. A good example (besides you) are those who whine that BF is violating their 1st Amendment rights by banning the discussion of certain topics.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-22-20, 08:07 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
News flash: "Until it's safe" means NEVER!!
It was last week here.
Old 05-22-20, 08:15 AM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Pithy insults notwithstanding, I'd like for anyone to refute my position with facts and common sense:
Is the Wuhan Virus (COVID-19) a hoax? No!!
Is it extremely dangerous if not deadly to a very small, very select segment of the population? Absolutely!
Should those people most vulnerable take whatever precautions they deem necessary for their safety? You betcha!
As for 99.99+% of the population to which the virus presents little to no risk whatsoever is the reaction far worse than the virus itself? Absolutely! Bankrupting thousands of businesses, leaving millions unemployed and plunging tens of millions of people worldwide into poverty will prove to be the greatest mistake modern man has made.
There is no reason healthy people with stout immune systems (as I suspect most on this forum are) should drastically alter their lifestyles. You're far more likely to be killed or injured riding your bike, driving a car, drowning etc. than dying from this virus. We all do things that aren't "safe" on a daily basis because we take steps to mitigate the risk.
Is this the first virus to infect mankind? No. Have there been deadlier viruses that a greater percentage of the population were at risk of getting? Yes. Did we react as we are now? No. Why not?
Have any of you contracted a communicable disease in your lifetime? I have! Guess what- I got sick then recovered! but I certainly didn't tiptoe around in fear wearing a mask everywhere! Or demand it of everyone else!
And society wasn't subjected to unconstitutional "lockdowns" by petty narcissistic fools either.

Please tell me where I'm wrong.
West
You asked for numbers so,

The population of the US is around 328M. If 99.99% of the population will be unaffected - that means that 32,800 will be affected. SInce around 3 times that many have ALREADY died, it is safe to say that one is way off.

All you need to do is look at NYC to see that this one is different. There may well have been 'smaller' responses that would have been as effective or more effective, but to say that this is similar to other experiences that we have had seems very wrong to me. We did what we knew how to do and hopefully future responses will be more targeted (as in smaller) and more effective.

And don't get me started on 'safe' (the summer of 2019 was safe WRT to Covid-19 and that will never happen again) or 'science says'. Science has been all over the map, although we have nowhere else to look right now and it is probably science that will ultimately save us here (vaccine).

dave
Likes For DaveLeeNC:
Old 05-22-20, 08:35 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
West
Nothing is ever absolutely safe. And everything in life requires risk reward balancing.

That said, the risk posed by Covid 19 will get better. Doctors learn more, standards of care improve, testing and contact tracing improve. Drugs are in development and studies. A vaccine will in all likelihood be developed. More medical supplies are manufactured.

How fast progress is made and to what degree remains to be seen. And with loosening restrictions things may well get worse before they get better. But they will get better.

To argue that you might as well say F*** It, because the virus will always be here, misses a whole lot of factors, and is just horrible risk balancing
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 05-22-20, 08:37 AM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
My local club in Memphis is still on hold, Glad I got in on the St Patricks day ride before it all shut down. they've cancelled two "big rides" and all weekly rides until further notice
Old 05-22-20, 08:49 AM
rpyr

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CoogansBluff
I was surprised to get the announcement this morning that the main club that I ride with is resuming group rides as early as this weekend.

I realize group rides are occurring in some parts of the country. Locally, I don't know what has changed since the original decision to shut group rides down. I understand opening up certain businesses with guidelines on how to make that safe. Seems that group rides are not only less essential, but more difficult to keep safe.

Curious what folks think about resuming group rides.

​​​​​​​which club? i'm in the area and havent heard anything from the clubs i ride with unfortunatly
Old 05-22-20, 08:52 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Our greater Raleigh area race team is following the USAC guidelines. If no racing, no team group rides.

I don't care to suck somebody else's spittle at this point. I love Umstead, but with traffic on trails I'm riding solo on the road and in my neighborhood away from folks. And Zwift.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 05-22-20, 08:54 AM
CoogansBluff

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by rpyr
which club? i'm in the area and havent heard anything from the clubs i ride with unfortunatly
I sent you a message.
Old 05-22-20, 09:12 AM
CoogansBluff

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
You asked for numbers so,
Not that it would influence anyone you're debating, but since someone asking for numbers said ''You're far more likely to be killed or injured ... driving a car,'' you also could point out that there are typically 3,000 monthly traffic fatalities in the U.S. Meanwhile, the death toll from COVID-19 in this country over the past 30 days is 50,000.
Likes For CoogansBluff:
Old 05-22-20, 10:20 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Our county bike group never suspended group rides. In our county there have been zero hospitalizations, zero deaths, and single digit cases. The only local impact of COVID19 were widespread unemployment and rampant business failures. COVID never really came to town.

Participation in group rides has been excellent this year -- probably a little better than in recent years. (Maybe people are bored.) If COVID ever comes to town, things will probably change.

Last edited by FlashBazbo; 05-22-20 at 10:31 AM.
Likes For FlashBazbo:
Old 05-22-20, 10:26 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Our greater Raleigh area race team is following the USAC guidelines. If no racing, no team group rides.

I don't care to suck somebody else's spittle at this point. I love Umstead, but with traffic on trails I'm riding solo on the road and in my neighborhood away from folks. And Zwift.
I had taken it as a given that I would probably catch someone's cold due to all the sputum that's expelled on group rides, particularly early in the season. Happens pretty much every year. But those are fairly harmless rhinoviruses. This one kills people, particularly folks like my parents. And it's transmissible even if you're asymptomatic. So, you may have it, not know it, and give it to someone who will die from it. Unnecessarily. So, if I am going to weigh the benefits of my going on a group ride vs. the cost of killing my mom (and depriving my kids of their Nana), then it's an easy decision for me.
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-22-20, 11:27 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
I want to remind everyone (and I've been beating this drum a lot) that there are fates worse than death. Covid messes people up, sometimes in serious and lasting ways. Young people are seeming to get over it, and then having strokes. People are getting severe lung damage that will never heal. Severe lung damage means never riding a bike again, in a way people in this forum like.

We have very little idea who's going to get which stick. It's like helmets, you don't need to wear one for every ride, but nobody goes out saying "this is the day I get hit by a car and knocked to the ground so I better wear my new MIPS helmet."
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-22-20, 11:54 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
My understanding is that my local club will not begin group rides until they get a green light from their insurance carrier.

There is a liability issue, no?
Maybe, in a society where anyone can sue anyone for anything. I would hope not, though. Years ago a woman sued our road club after she slipped and fell inside a MacDonald's. She was not a member but was with a group following our route sheet and the route sheet told her to go to MacDonald's. The court did not allow her to sue us. I can't remember the legal particulars but it had to do with the club not being owned by anyone and not fitting some definition of an LLC, or something.
The club did look into a form of liability insurance after that and I think they bought some minimal policy.
Old 05-22-20, 12:12 PM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
I agree with Merlinextralight - not because I also own one (smile) but because what he says is accurate and WHY would you do this to yourself or others??? I actually prefer solo rides, always have. Or a ride with one other person.
Old 05-22-20, 12:15 PM
marathontiger1

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
West
Sorry, but I’m with this guy. Maybe not the tone, but . . . Simple question: exactly how many confirmed cases of cyclist-to-cyclist, group-riding transmission of COVID-19 are there? Answer: zero. And the answer will always be zero. There’s a reason for that, and it has nothing to do with social distancing. If you want to go on a group ride, go. If you don’t, don’t. But those who do aren’t increasing their risk, and those who don’t aren’t mitigating theirs.
Old 05-22-20, 01:31 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by marathontiger1
Simple question: exactly how many confirmed cases of cyclist-to-cyclist, group-riding transmission of COVID-19 are there? Answer: zero. And the answer will always be zero. There’s a reason for that, and it has nothing to do with social distancing.
Well, don't leave us hanging.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-22-20, 02:17 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Sorry, but I’m with this guy. Maybe not the tone, but . . . Simple question: exactly how many confirmed cases of cyclist-to-cyclist, group-riding transmission of COVID-19 are there? Answer: zero. And the answer will always be zero. There’s a reason for that, and it has nothing to do with social distancing. If you want to go on a group ride, go. If you don’t, don’t. But those who do aren’t increasing their risk, and those who don’t aren’t mitigating theirs.
It is far from clear to me that this conclusion is correct. Being 6'ish feet 'downwind' from an infectious person who is breathing hard (as you are), even if outdoors. I certainly don't have confidence in a no-transfer assumption under those conditions. Nor would I say that 'a transfer' is inevitable.

dave

Last edited by DaveLeeNC; 05-22-20 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-22-20, 03:26 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
the reason there's no confirmed cases of that is 1) we have extremely limited contact tracing data, so our knowledge of how the idsease spreads is pretty limited, and 2) most group rides were stopped pretty early in the Pandemic.

What we do have is a pretty good knowledge of the viral load necessary to transmit the disease, knowledge of how the virus aerosolizes with heavy breathing, how plong it hangs in the air, and the fluid dynamics of how drafting works.

All of that tells you that sitting in the draft for 2 hours, with everyone breathing heavily has the potential to impose a deadly viral load. So until proven otherwise, it is onlly reasonable to conclude it is a significant risk.

A few weeks ago, no one thought that you got Covid 19 from sitting across a room with people singing. Now we know some of the most deadly clusters come from singing.

As we get better contact tracing and testing we'll know more how the virus transmits. Personally, I'd prefer to still be alive as we learn those things, rather than take poor risks that may or may not pan out.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-22-20, 03:51 PM
marathontiger1

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
the reason there's no confirmed cases of that is 1) we have extremely limited contact tracing data, so our knowledge of how the idsease spreads is pretty limited, and 2) most group rides were stopped pretty early in the Pandemic.

What we do have is a pretty good knowledge of the viral load necessary to transmit the disease, knowledge of how the virus aerosolizes with heavy breathing, how plong it hangs in the air, and the fluid dynamics of how drafting works.

All of that tells you that sitting in the draft for 2 hours, with everyone breathing heavily has the potential to impose a deadly viral load. So until proven otherwise, it is onlly reasonable to conclude it is a significant risk.

A few weeks ago, no one thought that you got Covid 19 from sitting across a room with people singing. Now we know some of the most deadly clusters come from singing.

As we get better contact tracing and testing we'll know more how the virus transmits. Personally, I'd prefer to still be alive as we learn those things, rather than take poor risks that may or may not pan out.
This is not correct, so we’ll just disagree. Look, if you’re concerned and fearful, don’t go.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.