Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why do I get so many punctures?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why do I get so many punctures?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-20, 07:50 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Since I went to the Gator Hardshells, I don't post notes on the web saying that I'm getting a flat tire every other ride.

I still like to be prepared.

I am down a bit on my miles now, but I was putting a lot of miles on my bike over the last few years, and I like the long wearing of the Gator Hardshells.
Don't feel bad about being down on your mileage. A mile on Gators is like three on GPs. Except less enjoyable.
Old 06-07-20, 07:54 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Don't feel bad about being down on your mileage. A mile on Gators is like three on GPs. Except less enjoyable.
Whew...

That would put me at over 20,000 miles a year.

Oh, and those double centuries become hexa centuries.

Last edited by CliffordK; 06-07-20 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-07-20, 08:24 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Awells32
I've had 2 punctures in my rear tyre and 1 in my front tyre in the last 2 week alone!
You should be good for awhile - tire/tube problems tend to come in threes!
Old 06-08-20, 11:40 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
As long as I use quality tires and tubes with plenty of life left, I do not usually have flat tire issues. However, this year I have had at least a dozen flats, with 6 of those in the past 6 weeks. Seems like with the reduced traffic lately, the roads would be relatively clear of debris. That has not been the case. There is broken glass, nails/screws, construction/demo waste, etc. all over the roads here in south-coastal Delaware. I do have 2 sets of tires on different bikes that have quite a few miles on them and not gone flat yet. One being Panaracer Pasela PT's, 25 mm . The other being Panaracer Gravel Kings, 26mm. I think 4 of the flats I have had recently were during my experimenting with latex tubes. They are not worth the extra expense in my opinion

My flats have been from glass, slivers of wire, sheet metal screws, nails and staples. On my routes, I have been stopping to remove whatever debris that I can easily remove. Some of that being larger items like pieces of wood and metal, larger shards of glass. Obvioulsy, one cannot stop and remove all the glass unless one is traveling with some type of broom. Also, it is pretty much impossible to see it all while riding a bike. This time of year there is a tremendous amount of construction and road work going on. Surely, that is a factor.
Its not about the tubes, its the tyres. Riding roads with glass, staples and what not, is sure to get you a lot of flats unless you have protected tyres. It does help removing stuck items from the tyres when you get home or immediately if there is something obvious.
Old 06-08-20, 11:55 AM
Racing Dan

Is it really? Cant say I have tried the actual gatorskins, but I have used very similar tyres extensively. Imo, the claims about wast differences in ride quality vs "normal", lighter road bike tyres are vastly exaggerated. Any tyre can ride as a frozen garden hose if you pump hard enough and every road bike tyre I ever tried could ride comfortably at 75-80 psi. Sure you loose a a handful of watts with a pair of gatorskins, equating to about half a mile per hour. That may or may not be significant, if you are racing, chasing KOMs or just barely can hang with the group, but you have to ask your self if its Really worth it riding "supple" race day tyres, all the time.
Old 06-08-20, 12:12 PM
Seattle Forrest

You lose something like 30 watts with Gatorskins compared to good tires. Try to get an extra 30 watts through training and let us know how it goes.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 06-08-20, 12:28 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
In my experience, tubes do make a difference.
Old 06-08-20, 12:34 PM
Racing Dan

You lose something like 30 watts with Gatorskins compared to good tires. Try to get an extra 30 watts through training and let us know how it goes.

The actual number is 11w per tyre at 80 PSI between GP5000 and Gatorskins. As I already said, that may or may not be significant, depending what you are trying to achieve. But acting as if its all important all the time just isnt true, and the implied claim that tyres with puncture protection ride like garbage also isnt true. At least not from experience. By your logic you should ride an aero frame with aero wheels, in a skin suit and a aero helmet and ... all the time too. - But you know what? 95% (or 100%) of the time is just training. It doesn't matter if you go one, or half, a mile slower. It matters that you train and exercise. It might even be good that you need to push just a little harder to keep up.

Not to mention the paradox related to zwifting, pushing as hard as you can, to go ZERO miles per hour :-)

Last edited by Racing Dan; 06-08-20 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-08-20, 12:38 PM
Seattle Forrest

Ride quality is even more of a problem than 22 watts, which, again, if you're reasonably well trained takes a hell of a lot of training to make up for and is not always possible. I understand that you can't tell the difference, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. As you gain experience as a cyclist you'll come to understand what everyone else is talking about.