Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cartridge BB for Avocet Triple?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Cartridge BB for Avocet Triple?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-20, 11:31 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAMPAGNOLO-...S/153448469409
Old 06-22-20, 12:46 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Those bolts differ from the Avocet and Campagnolo bolts in that they are used to mount three rings using the same BCD, with a spacer between the inner and middle rings. The Avocet and Campagnolo triples used bolts with a separate BCD (74mm and 102mm for Avocet; 100mm for Campagnolo) that threaded directly into the crank spider, with a stand-off piece to hold the ring at the proper seperation from the middle ring. The Sugino AT crank also used separate BCDs (110mm for the outer rings; 74mm for the inner ring), but the inner ring clearance was an integral part of the crank spider, not a separate stand-off piece.

A moot concern, because they won't work with the Avocet crank, which uses a long, "male"-threaded bolt and stand-off rather than the simple spacer, and are the wrong thread for the mounting holes in the Avocet crank. You can see the bolts and stand-offs in the picture I supplied previously.
Oh, I see it now. Right, proprietary mounting bolts. That's going to be tough to source. Do you happen to know what the thread size is?

Maybe something could be jury rigged. It would be better to have new ones made.

I know the Sugino AT and most or all of the 80s era and subsequent Sugino triples used a separate bolt circle, etc. I was thinking of the 70s era Mighty. Clearly this is actually no help for bark-eater, since it's a different system, as you have pointed out.

VeloBase.com - Component: Sugino Mighty Tour (triple)

Old 06-22-20, 01:39 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Those triple bolts on Ebay are for mounting all three rings on the same BCD. The bolts/spacers for mounting a 36t inner ring to Nuovo Record arms are much rarer.

Fuji among others used the 3X110mm bcd setup with Mity Tour arms.

I believe that the Sugino AT crank features removable small-ring spacers, handy for executing double installations.

As far as tapers, JIS fits in ISO or other Campy/Euro arms, but makes the spindle act 2-3mm longer on each end.
The torque capacity isn't so good either, since the engagement is not only shorter, but JIS flats are also much skinnier than ISO flats!
Yes, confessing here I've run JIS spindles in ISO cranks, but I weigh 144# so have relatively little to worry about in this regard(???).
The Avocet arms are anecdotally fragile in terms of other modes of failure not related to spindle fit, so I consider these cranks best for modest use by modestly strong/heavy riders.
Old 06-22-20, 06:16 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,399 Times in 1,933 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Oh, I see it now. Right, proprietary mounting bolts. That's going to be tough to source. Do you happen to know what the thread size is?
The Avocet triple ring mounting bolts are 5mm x 0.8mm thread, but the profile of the bolt is decidedly non-standard.
Old 06-22-20, 06:27 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,399 Times in 1,933 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
Those triple bolts on Ebay are for mounting all three rings on the same BCD. The bolts/spacers for mounting a 36t inner ring to Nuovo Record arms are much rarer.
Yes, those are for the #1048/3 Record triple with all three rings using 144mm BCD. What the OP needs are the #818 and #761 pieces for the 1048/5 triple crank, or the Avocet equivalents, which are just as scarce if not as expensive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1048-3.jpg (62.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg
1048-5.jpg (60.2 KB, 22 views)