Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Scuffed clearcoat on steel Lemond

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-06-20, 09:51 AM
ChillDilettante

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Lemond Croix de Fer, Trek Domane 5.2, Ibis Ripley AF, Raleigh Sport 3 speed, Gary Fisher Tassajara

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I did a dumb thing. I used a kitchen scrub sponge to try to get gunk off my shiny steel framed Lemond Croix de Fer. Any tips for restoring the shine? It's not deep, but detracts from the beauty.
Old 07-06-20, 10:09 AM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
Buffing compound(like is used for automobiles) and a rag.
Old 07-06-20, 10:25 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
If it's in the clear coat, you can just have it clear coated again. Be sure to try and use something UV resistant. Don't expect common varnishes and stuff made for floors and furniture to work well over time.

Don't go wild with the buffing or rubbing compound. If you take the clear coat completely off in places, then you may have bigger issues with the color looking different in that area. But buffing it is a very good first step to try.

Last edited by Iride01; 07-06-20 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-06-20, 10:26 AM
ChillDilettante

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Lemond Croix de Fer, Trek Domane 5.2, Ibis Ripley AF, Raleigh Sport 3 speed, Gary Fisher Tassajara

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I tried a car scratch remover/polisher with no luck. Started to worry that the micro abrasives were worsening it. Possibly quit too soon?
Old 07-06-20, 10:36 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by ChillDilettante
I tried a car scratch remover/polisher with no luck. Started to worry that the micro abrasives were worsening it. Possibly quit too soon?
It depends on the initial scratch size, just like sandpaper. If you can simply see the scratches, but not necessarily feel them with the edge of your nail, polishing compound or rubbing compound can work if you apply them carefully and diligently. Think of the abrasives in rubbing compound as 2000+ grit wet, and polishing compound as 2500-4000 grit wet, based on which brand you're using. You're right in that you'll never be able to add back removed paint, so tread carefully.
If the clear coat looks hazy, use a polishing compound to diminish the appearance, then apply a few coats of wax. Wax, when applied well, fills those micro scratches and levels it out. Use a more aggressive compound with visible discrete scratches, followed by polisher, then wax.

In the future, use goo gone or other non-abrasive solvent to remove residues. Your steel appreciates its anaerobic environment intact.

Last edited by Unca_Sam; 07-06-20 at 10:37 AM. Reason: The scratches are not secretive, they are easily separated from each other.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 07-06-20, 03:13 PM
ChillDilettante

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you. I'll try that. It doesn't have individual scratches, so much as it's cloudy/not shiny. I'll try the polish/wax option. Not quite to the re-doing the clearcoat level.
Old 07-06-20, 03:21 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
For a bike use cornstarch and water, very light pressure, lots of circular motion, wax-on wax-off stuff.

Once you have polished things smooth with the cornstarch rinse and finish it off with wax.

Car wax makes getting sticking residue off quite simple. Dish soap like Dawn dissolves wax. If you keep a good coat of wax on the bike the soap will dissolve from underneath any residue removing it with no scrubbing. Of course this means you should wash your bike with an automotive grade cleaner that doesn't dissolve wax.

Automotive buffing compound comes in multiple grades, most of which are way too coarse for a bike finish. Cornstarch is a finish grade polishing compound
Likes For Pop N Wood: