Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Seat post for free spirit

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-20, 06:22 PM
Thruhiker 

Bikes: Fuji touring, jeep hybrid Trek 1100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts

Hi everybody,
I have a free spirit sunbird 80s or 90s that I want to get a new seat post for. Heres the problem I'm away from home for a few days and would like to purchase the seatpost online so it's there when I'm back. This morning (before coffee) I measured the seat post itself 26.29m is what I wrote down. At the time I just figured hmm odd must be 26.4 but now looking at sp I see there is 26.2 26.3 and 26.4. Had I known there was so many that close in measurements I would of spent more then 30 seconds and got a accurate measurement from the seat tube. Can anyone help me? And before I get ridiculed for throwing away 20 bucks on a 3 dollar bike I would like to state that I'm no stranger to stupidity and I'm well aware that a fool and his money soon part. Ha ha. Truth is I like the bike and ride it a lot. thanks everyone
edit. 26.29 mm not meters lol
Old 08-12-20, 06:27 PM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
Dumb question but on a low end ten speed like that, it's definitely not a 1 inch post?
Old 08-12-20, 07:35 PM
Thruhiker 

I suppose it could be. One inch would be 25.4 mm . I got 26.29 when I measured but maybe I wasnt holding my calipers straight. It's the free spirit with a lugged frame.
Old 08-12-20, 07:45 PM
Thruhiker 

The reason I want to switch post is to put one of my older brooks saddles on it. As I said I ride it a lot. I switched out a new saddle for my touring bike and theres no sense in leaving the old b17 sit on a shelf. The FS has just a straight tube with the odd 1 bolt with 2 nuts clamp for the seat. I'm sure theres a correct name for that type of clamp but I dont know what it is. With the brooks I usually use a set back seat post. I guess that clamp would work on a brooks though. but it's hard to adjust the plane with that style. I guess I'll just have to be patient and measure again when I get home.
Old 08-12-20, 08:02 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
I would guess it is a 26.,0 post bases on info which was the JIS standard for nicer bikes with lesser tube sets from mid 70's to mid 80's. My self I would go with av long 26.0 post with a bunch of post in the bike.
Old 08-12-20, 08:17 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
No, measure till you are sure of the needed size, then order. If you like the bike, take care of it.
Old 08-12-20, 08:43 PM
Thruhiker 

Yes I agree thanks everyone for trying to help. I should of just took the time to measure properly instead of being in a hurry.
Old 08-12-20, 09:23 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3879 Post(s)
Liked 6,467 Times in 3,199 Posts
Go to a co-op and buy a bunch of different sized, horribly ugly posts for $1/ea. Then you'll know. If one's a little too big, get out the 80 grit under a dripping faucet and get down on it like Kool & the gang. You should do something fancy for a Free Spirit, those poor things.