Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

aero bar extensions, so many choices

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-20, 03:12 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts

sometimes lots of choices can suck...i am looking to get some clip on aero bars for my ride. not sure what to get regarding the extensions as there are so many designs that i am finding on the web. i am not independently wealthy enough to just go out and buy one, try it, buy another, try it... i am planning on putting my ride on the trainer with some home made arm rests in the approximate area and trying to measure what would be a comfortable wrist angle position.

hoping this will get me in the ball park but not sure if this will work so if anyone has another suggestion how i might attempt to figure out the correct or close wrist angle i'd appreciate it.

not looking for TT or aero per se, really just additional hand positions since on longer rides my hands do get tired.

looking at something like this...(probably)

https://profile-design.com/collectio...sonic-ergo-43a
Old 08-29-20, 03:34 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Airstrykes are great. The fact that they flip up so you don't lose access to your bar tops is extra great.
Old 08-29-20, 04:31 PM
spelger

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Airstrykes are great. The fact that they flip up so you don't lose access to your bar tops is extra great.
i was these two but was not too sure about the extension being one peice since it limits adjustability. do like the added access to the bars though.
Old 08-30-20, 05:27 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
i was these two but was not too sure about the extension being one peice since it limits adjustability. do like the added access to the bars though.
It appears that the new “Airstryke ii” version allows the extension bar to be adjusted relative to the clamps (and handlebars) either forward or back and the pads can also be attached more forward or back relative to the clamps (and handlebars).

Otto
Old 09-14-20, 02:54 PM
spelger

Went the Airstike II route. put them on and rode on the trainer yesterday (way too much smoke outside). spent about 20ish min total on them here and there. sore in places i did not expect. thought it would be my neck but not so. more glutes and quads.
Old 09-15-20, 05:29 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
for future reference, you can buy the flip-up brackets and add them, but the flip ups are expensive at $85.
Old 09-19-20, 08:25 PM
spelger

So today i was blessed with smokeless skies and got to try out the bars out on the road. wow, that took a bit getting used to. having to shift took a bit of getting used to as well. i was able to spend a lot of time it them but neck really hurt. i ride with a base ball hat under my helmet. need to reassess that. i only wanted them for the additional hand position, would up being faster for a few segments. i could feel the drag when i got up out of them. glad i got them.

i got the air strikes with the flip up arm rests which is nice. but really, really loud on the crappy quality roads here (slurry seal). will look for some sort of solution to this unless someone has a trick up their sleeve. the noise just made me want to take them off at times.
Old 09-19-20, 09:07 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
That comes down to how handy you are. Mine were horribly rattly out of the box-- turns out the little hinge pins that hold the armrests on were smaller than the holes in the bar brackets. I drilled both brackets out with a 3mm drill bit and replaced the stock pins with some 3mm R/C hinge pins, so the fit is tight. More importantly though (in my mind) I put 3mm shims on the hinge pins between the bracket and the armrest, which removed the fore-aft play in them. That pretty much eliminated any sounds from my bars.
Old 09-19-20, 10:07 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
If you seldom or never ride with your hands next to the stem, or if you're willing to exchange that hand position for grabbing the Airstryke's elbow pads instead, you can zip tie the hinged portions so that they're permanently in the down position. That's what several people I knew and I did with ours when the Airstryke first came out.