Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Safe to bike during Flu Season?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Safe to bike during Flu Season?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-20, 11:34 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
IMO (not necessarily scientific), if you dress properly, cold won't affect your resistance; otherwise you need to use energy to overcome the cold and could be more susceptible; the same could occur if you're too hot in the summer. My wife and I ride early AM and are alone on the trails, but encounter lots of individuals on the return whether it's an out and back or some kind of loop. Nobody is coughing or sneezing now, and since the trails are pretty wide, it seems safe; however if there are individuals coughing and/or sneezing later in the year, it could be a problem.
Possibly I'll mask up for the return.
Old 09-02-20, 11:39 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
It seems safe to bike during the coronavirus. But are you worried about the weather and flu season?
Myself, I'm no more concerned than usual, during "flu" season.

Which is to say, I avoid as much of the wettest and coldest days as I can, but don't overthink it. It's possible to contract something, and this year there'll be the normal and customary stuff along with this newfangled thing. But with similar precautions along with some of the newer constraints, I won't be riding much differently this season as compared to the same season any other year.
Old 09-02-20, 12:39 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
It seems safe to bike during the coronavirus. But are you worried about the weather and flu season? Experts suggest a twin-Demic.

I assume that covid is transmitted person to person but the flu can just be transmitted through cold weather and the air right?
I am not worried about riding during the upcoming flu season any more than I have been worried about riding during prior flu seasons. To be clear, I havent given a second thought to riding in the past.

If its a nice day and I have time, I will ride. If its a crappy day and I want some sadde time, I will zwift. Its quite simple.
Old 09-02-20, 01:19 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
there's a flu vaccine. I failed to get one for several years and got lucky, but I am starting to get one every year. costs nothing, takes two minutes at the grocery store pharmacy, and probably saves me from missing a week of life lying in bed.
My wife and I got flu shots yesterday at a drive-in site at the local Hy-Vee pharmacy. Turned in paperwork at the drive-in window, and was directed to a special parking spot. The masked pharmacist came to us and gave us the shots without our needing to even exit our car. The pharmacist sat in a nearby chair and waited with us for 15 minutes to assure that we had no ill effects/reaction prior to departure. Cost to us-nothing, thanks to Medicare, and better yet, gave us a credit of 40¢ off every gallon of gasoline at our next fill up at a Hy-Vee or Casey's convenience store gas pump.

I went for a bike ride later that day.
Old 09-02-20, 02:49 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Got that flu shot yet? Highly advised even for folks who stay indoors.
Hell no! I don't want the government injecting nanochips into my body to track my movements!

Sent from my iPhone
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-02-20, 02:54 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
My mom used to tell me to not sit on cold ground or I would catch a cold in my back.
I bet you also had to wait 30 minutes after eating before going swimming.
Old 09-02-20, 02:57 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,861 Times in 6,072 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Hell no! I don't want the government injecting nanochips into my body to track my movements!

Sent from my iPhone
I see what you did there.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-02-20, 03:35 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
CDC recommends waiting until September or October to get influenza vaccine. Hey! It's September as of yesterday! Don't forget to ask for the High Potency version if you're old like me!
Old 09-03-20, 07:24 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I bet you also had to wait 30 minutes after eating before going swimming.
Mos def.

And I was not allowed to go out in the cold with a wet head. I have a friend who is a well-respected pediatric immunologist at a major hospital for children. One night after dinner we were laughing about the old wives' tail claiming that going out in the cold with a wet head causes colds. "There goes that whole virus theory down the drain." she said.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-03-20, 08:31 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
The only danger here is excessive hand wringing while riding.
Old 09-03-20, 04:45 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I knew another " cycling hazards thread " was coming soon...Definitely subscribed.
Old 09-03-20, 04:51 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I never take flu shots....I find that cycling all winter is far more effective at preventing flu and colds than any flu shot out there...The only time I ever had a serious flu was when I decided to take 1 year off from riding my bike....Big mistake I don't want to do that ever again.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 09-04-20, 08:21 AM
prime winner

Bikes: Trek Verve 2

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
I've been thinking about how much Id like to ride a local 12 ft paved bike trail but not ready to chance breathing in someones COVID. Its a busy trail. All my riding takes place on residential roads but Id like some new scenery and a route thats not traffic heavy.
Old 09-04-20, 08:23 AM
Elbeinlaw

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
No, no, no--

the flu can just be transmitted through cold weather and the air right?
I have it on excellent medical authority that flu is transmitted by not putting on a sweater when your mother is cold.
Likes For Elbeinlaw:
Old 09-04-20, 08:26 AM
Elbeinlaw

Badger: I don't think that's what they told you would ruin your eyesight by doing it in a dark room.
Old 09-04-20, 08:29 AM
Elbeinlaw

Originally Posted by badger1
I strongly recommend not riding during 'flu season -- indeed, not riding at all. Year round.

There are simply too many hazards 'out there'. Much better to stay in a warm basement, with a secure internet connection, and post on teh Biek Forms.
Yeah. And get off my lawn MUP you snowflakes.
Old 09-04-20, 09:04 AM
The Old Peddler

Bikes: Currently 4 Electra's : 3 Cruisers and a Townie. also 1 mutt bike

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 13 Posts
Neither Flu nor snow nor rain nor heat nor pandemic will keep me from my daily ride. I take reasonable precautions such as wearing a mask while riding. That is a part of my "ride gear" just like a helmet. I ride in semi-isolated locations where there are few other people outside (riding or walking). I need the exercise to stay in reasonable health. So it's a very real health risk not to ride vs a low probability of a infection risk while riding. I choose to ride.

The Old Peddler
Old 09-04-20, 09:46 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Elbeinlaw
I have it on excellent medical authority that flu is transmitted by not putting on a sweater when your mother is cold.
You've got it!

I remember as kids, we used to have to follow some very specific rules about dressing for cold weather. If the temperature was predicted to be 45 and rising, a lightweight jacket was permissible but the zipper had to be zipped up unless the temperature was 65 or greater. Below 45, or if it 45 and falling, we had to wear our heavy coats. Similar rules were in place about hats, gloves, scarves, etc. I am sure all of this stems from some recommendation Mom read in a book somewhere.... If the "rules" were published, they MUST be followed!
Old 09-05-20, 09:46 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
I I rode my trainer last winter many times in below freezing temps in my garage wearing shorts and a short sleeve shirt.

Old 09-06-20, 08:38 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,031 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by Toadmeister
FINALLY! Someone has finally noticed what the evil cold weather germs living in my garage have now known since last winter!
Old 09-07-20, 11:42 AM
JWalters

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last time I had the flu was 1959...never had a flu shot...won't be starting that foolish practice any time soon.
Old 09-07-20, 12:03 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
It seems safe to bike during the coronavirus. But are you worried about the weather and flu season? Experts suggest a twin-Demic.

I assume that covid is transmitted person to person but the flu can just be transmitted through cold weather and the air right?
I coudl be wrong, but I don't think that's how flu is transmitted. It's mostly caught inside (I think) from OTHER PEOPLE who have it...I THINK from droplets, just like covid. However, if I'm wrong about this, I apologize in front.
Old 09-07-20, 12:05 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
I mean no negative effects of cold air. Lots of people seem to think just being out in the cold will make you sick. I rode my trainer last winter many times in below freezing temps in my garage wearing shorts and a short sleeve shirt.
yeah, that "you'll catch your death from the cold" thing ain't right...
Likes For dkatz1:
Old 09-07-20, 12:13 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
The same mitigation methods used to fight spread of covid-19 will also help against seasonal influenza: mask use, social distancing, hygiene. And seasonal influenza has an additional, effective mitigation tool that is lacking for covid-19: vaccination.
+1 Get vaccinated. Do it anyway, never mind riding. I got mine last Wednesday at the local department store. (At their pharmacy. Very well done. Organized and clean.) Billed my insurance with no cost to me.)

This is not the year that we need to risk a sickness that can put us in the hospital, both because of the risk to us and the overburdening of our medical resources. Yes, this year's vaccine is biggie. Wasn't a ton of fun. But 12 hours of flu? NBD. I got the flu 18 months ago. I know the full routine. Didn't need the hospital (and in fact was never diagnosed) but not fun at all and set my bike training back 6-8 weeks. Felt like I got run over by a truck.. (And after that shot, I KNOW what I got before was flu! I never want to go there again.)

While I was going through the post-vaccinaton symptoms, I kept thinking "there are those who step up, get the shot, suffer the symptoms, don't complain and step up again next year. Real men. There are those who get the shot, complain and step up again next year. Lessen men, but men. And there are those who don't; claiming "rights', "government intervention" or whatever. Not men willing to step up and do the right thing. (There are those who cannot get the flu shot for physical reasons. I don't envy them and hope they do not get exposed.)

Ben
Old 09-07-20, 12:24 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Wife and I got the High Dose Flu shot last week and had absolutely no ill effects or negative reaction from it, not even any soreness the next day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.