Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wheels for ordinary getting harder to find?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wheels for ordinary getting harder to find?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-20, 02:07 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
*cough*

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 09-11-20, 05:59 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
*cough*
Coronavirus?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-13-20, 09:44 AM
mrblue

Bikes: Canyon, Bowman & Colnago

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
You could build your own wheels. Some people really enjoy it, some people really hate it. I fall into the latter category.
Old 09-13-20, 10:12 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
*cough*
Sorry about misspelling your name. And as for the other poster he is either not too fat for this sport or he has not ridden many miles on machine built wheels.
Old 09-14-20, 11:52 AM
buegelfrei

Bikes: Daylight ARC c1 XXL 20", Surly Big Dummy, c.1983 Merckx Professional

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
This is a little tangential, I’ll admit, but did you know that Kool-Stop’s brake pad selection even covers rod-and-lever pads? In “salmon” flavor to boot! (Wish I’d had those back in my college days.) As long as Kool-Stop stays in business, you should be able to get replace pads for any rim brake you care to run.

I’m coping with disc brake noises OK, but you can definitely put me down in the silent freehubs camp. Onyx for the win.
Old 09-14-20, 12:21 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
The only issue is I just love the roll of these H and Son Archetypes. I build a set of velocity wheels about 8-9 years ago the Yellow Jersey set me all up with the materials and I built them. You have an experience with H and Sons?
If you like Archetypes, why not just lay in some spares, and swap over when you need to, Jobst-style? Remember that you don't even need to unlace the hubs or undo any of the crossings:

People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 09-14-20, 12:43 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
I have rim brakes and I use cinchers and have no need at all to go tubeless. Seems in looking for wheelsets with this combination is getting less available. My concern with tubeless rims is that I don't need them and would like replacing a spoke if need be to be easy. If the rim does not have traditional spoke holes it gets tedious to put spokes in. Most of the offerings now seem to focus on disc brake wheelsets and tubeless. I know rim brakes are not completely disappearing but getting new wheels may not be anything other than trying to keep the bike running. I can't imagine much effort is being put into this type of design. I don't want to spend a fortune I just run aluminum wheels and try and keep the price under $400. I like H and Son Archetype rims and Shimano Hubs. Now talk about plain...........but they roll smooth and I like Shimano silent hubs in the rear.
For years, on my two bikes, I ahd Mavic Kysrium elite wheels. Great wheels for me, really sturdy. NEVER once broke a spoke.
However, on the bike I mostly ride, I DID wear out the rims...the metal was getting to thin to be safe...
So I bought a new set of Kysrium elite wheels.
They came with tubless tires, and for a year: I used them. Maybe it's just that they were crappy tubless tires, but I had a ton of problems with them, and after about a year: i went back to clincher tires. Which on those wheels are harder to get on and off then on the old wheels.
Some people have done great with them, but tubeless caused me WAY more trouble than they were worth.
I went through FOUR of those damn things in a year.
Old 09-14-20, 01:26 PM
schind1324

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I would take a look at wheels by John Neugent at neugentcycling.com. I have a set of his hand made wheels they came with spare spokes and he has nice sets starting at about $300. I like the set that were built for me and have well over 3000 miles on them and have not had to put a spoke wrench to them yet.
Old 09-14-20, 01:37 PM
snookanglr
padawan

Bikes: Felt Breed 30, Bianchi Intenso, Trek Madone, Cannondale Synapse, Giant Anthem

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I'm like you, alloy clinchers are all I need and yes they're getting harder to find. Custmer builder November stills sells them though. I've purchased two wheelsets from them. They have outstanding customer service and their blog is "famous".
https://novemberbicycles.com/
Old 09-14-20, 03:48 PM
crewdog

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
You can still get 700c wheelsets through Amazon for those of us who are looking for good inexpensive wheels.
Old 09-14-20, 04:14 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8273 Post(s)
Liked 9,028 Times in 4,469 Posts
Originally Posted by dkatz1
For years, on my two bikes, I ahd Mavic Kysrium elite wheels. Great wheels for me, really sturdy. NEVER once broke a spoke.
However, on the bike I mostly ride, I DID wear out the rims...the metal was getting to thin to be safe...
So I bought a new set of Kysrium elite wheels.
I had a pair of those. I broke a couple spokes and eventually pulled a nipple out of the rim. Mavic replaced the rim under warranty. It happened again after a few months and they warranteed it again even though it was out of warranty. The third time a nipple pulled out of the rim I tried to ride home and 2 more pulled through. At that point Mavic said no more warranty (I don't blame them) so I paid for a new rim and rebuild and it was pretty reasonable. I never put them back on the bike and I sold them.

They ride nice and are reasonably light, just don't work for me. To be fair, I break every rear wheel I use but these didn't last very long.
Old 09-14-20, 07:28 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I had a pair of those. I broke a couple spokes and eventually pulled a nipple out of the rim. Mavic replaced the rim under warranty. It happened again after a few months and they warranteed it again even though it was out of warranty. The third time a nipple pulled out of the rim I tried to ride home and 2 more pulled through. At that point Mavic said no more warranty (I don't blame them) so I paid for a new rim and rebuild and it was pretty reasonable. I never put them back on the bike and I sold them.

They ride nice and are reasonably light, just don't work for me. To be fair, I break every rear wheel I use but these didn't last very long.
Sorry it happened like that for you. My experience has been much better. On the two bikes I have those on, I've gone over 40,000 miles and never broke a spoke. And I got them because before that I was breaking them regularly (on cheap wheels). They rarely go out of round.
Old 09-14-20, 08:38 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8273 Post(s)
Liked 9,028 Times in 4,469 Posts
Originally Posted by dkatz1
Sorry it happened like that for you. My experience has been much better. On the two bikes I have those on, I've gone over 40,000 miles and never broke a spoke. And I got them because before that I was breaking them regularly (on cheap wheels). They rarely go out of round.
Nothing unusual for me. I expect at least 10k miles from a rear wheel before the rim cracks.
Old 09-15-20, 10:53 AM
strangdang

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
I know, right? I never see them in any shops.

And finding the tires for an ordinary wheel is even worse than finding the wheel itself.