Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Need advice on wild animals and biking

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-20, 12:46 AM
nickm001

Bikes: Kona Explosif 2015, Cannondale DeltaV700,93 and Cannondale F1000 Lefty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This is almost comical story. Last week I was biking on a nearby mountain road, when I got jumped by this creature - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_serow . They are harmless unless one of them decides to cross the road in front of a biker. What happened, as I was riding around a turn I surprise this creature. It got scared and try to cross the road, hit my front wheel, change the direction where the bike was going and knocked me over. Bike went to the right, I continue to go straight and hit the ground with my left arm/shoulder. Luckily nothing serious.

Question I have is what do you guys use to make your approach known to wild life? Is there any device that would make sound and worn animal(s) as biker is approaching and give them time to get out of the way.?
Old 09-15-20, 01:05 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
In the USA people use “bear bells” but they’re really for warning hikers and horseback riders TBH. Essentially like sleigh bells but more cowbell shaped. A local bike club worked with a kid to make these for his Eagle Scout project - a box of bells at popular trail heads. Take one and return it or keep it and send a donation.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 09-15-20 at 01:10 AM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 09-15-20, 05:01 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Last year in upstate New York State, my buddy and I were simultaneously hit broadside by two deer that came bursting out of the roadside brush on a dirt road we were riding. Fortunately we weren't going fast (start of ride, softish dirt, up a grade) so while all four of us went down we weren't badly hurt (nor were the deer or the bikes).

I've had many close encounters before and since with deer - they are everywhere here. My fear is hitting one while descending at 40+mph. I've had to yell at them while riding to try and freeze them in their tracks or get them to divert their course.

Really not sure what would work for deer, or for the animal that hit you.
Old 09-15-20, 08:43 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
I have hit 2 deer with motorcycles. Don't do that. At bicycle speeds, I am not worried. I have almost hit deer and pigs on the trail, it wouldn't be any worse than any other mountain bike crash.
Old 09-15-20, 09:13 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
In the USA people use “bear bells” but they’re really for warning hikers and horseback riders TBH. Essentially like sleigh bells but more cowbell shaped. A local bike club worked with a kid to make these for his Eagle Scout project - a box of bells at popular trail heads. Take one and return it or keep it and send a donation.

I use a bell. bears are everywhere where I ride. crazy. saw many snakes last week. deer as well.
Old 09-20-20, 08:17 PM
nickm001

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thanks everyone for advice. I have been riding this trail/road for over 10 years before this incident. Local mountains have only small animals, few Japanese serows and few wild pigs. Until about 10 years ago serow was on the list of protected species, so they aren't too many of them (lucky me to find one ). I will look for hiker's bell. On the last ride I used my phone and played music to make some noise and warn them of me coming.
Old 09-20-20, 08:22 PM
nickm001

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by billyymc
Last year in upstate New York State, my buddy and I were simultaneously hit broadside by two deer that came bursting out of the roadside brush on a dirt road we were riding. Fortunately we weren't going fast (start of ride, softish dirt, up a grade) so while all four of us went down we weren't badly hurt (nor were the deer or the bikes).

I've had many close encounters before and since with deer - they are everywhere here. My fear is hitting one while descending at 40+mph. I've had to yell at them while riding to try and freeze them in their tracks or get them to divert their course.

Really not sure what would work for deer, or for the animal that hit you.
I know what you mean. I was going downhill at about 15mph, not too fast because of the turn on the road and occasional car that may come. So not as fast as one would go on the straight section ...
Old 09-20-20, 08:25 PM
nickm001

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty

Thanks, will do the same. I like wild trails for it's peaceful and quiet environment, small bell should not be too bad .