Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Haven’t biked in years, starting over. Why’s everyone riding on less psi now?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Haven’t biked in years, starting over. Why’s everyone riding on less psi now?

Old 09-23-20, 01:51 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by rower2cyclist
Can someone explain how low front tire pressure changes handling around the corners and such?

I am on the lower end of the pressure guides due to the rough roads surface where I live. No way I can ride more than an hour if I pump the tires up to 110. Seems like there's a bit of a speed comfort trade-off in lower PSIs.
As long as you don't go down to the point where it gets squishy, supple tires can better deform to the road surface with lower pressure.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 09-23-20, 01:58 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
According to this Quora post a knife cuts as it "...separates material apart is by breaking weak intermolecular bonds that hold a substance together. Pushing down with a sharp edge forces material on either side of the blade outwards, ergo forcing the molecules apart."

My intuition is you'd want to increase the area of contact with the tire and the road using a lower psi which is kind of the opposite of a sharp knife. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe we are talking about the same things. I'm just trying to understand.
Someone asks if you have ever tried to cut something with a dull knife, and your response is to search Google?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-23-20, 02:08 PM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Someone asks if you have ever tried to cut something with a dull knife, and your response is to search Google?
Can't help your 12-yo brain if that was your take ha!
Old 09-23-20, 02:14 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Can't help your 12-yo brain if that was your take ha!
Hey, at least my 12-year old brain had no trouble with hedonist's analogy!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-23-20, 02:59 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Can someone explain how low front tire pressure changes handling around the corners and such?

I am on the lower end of the pressure guides due to the rough roads surface where I live. No way I can ride more than an hour if I pump the tires up to 110. Seems like there's a bit of a speed comfort trade-off in lower PSIs.
Lower pressure allows the tire to deform and "stick" to the road more.

Higher pressure causes the tire to not deform and lose contact with the ground when there are irregularities in the pavement. So any little rough spot can cause your tire to skip/slide and you can go down.

That sweet spot between maintaining maximum grip while not deforming to the point of raising the rolling resistance is what most shoot for.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 09-24-20, 09:13 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
155 is twenty pounds more than I weigh. I was fat at 148. Now I'm back to 133-135. I can wear all of my old jerseys that date back to the early 90's.

As for tire pressure, 85 front, 90 rear should be plenty on 25mm.
I had no idea you were 5'2".

Agreed on pressure. OP you should start at like 90 or 95 and drop from there over a few rides. You'll know when you're too low.

Old 09-24-20, 09:23 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
I started the wheel company 11 years ago officially. About 6 years ago the existing bike shop that I was "renting space" from to establish some of the more discerning distributor accounts had the owner get to the point where he wanted to retire and he sold the shop to me and I moved in.

He rides daily still and occasionally he will stop in and say hey and we will talk. In between ordering the odd 20 year old Campy part to fix his worn out stuff we will get to talking a little about tech changes. I guess I intuitively knew a lot had changed in those years but I never really put it all together.

Anyway one time he was like telling a story and I suggested, "Oh you should probably lower your pressure a bit. Most of us that have been riding forever tend to be running a little high on pressure."
"Really? what do you recommend for me?"
"95-ish. Just below 100 as a start."
His eyes got big and he was like "WTF?! I ride 120! We used to just go as high as we could. The higher and the narrower the better."
"Yeah, well the fatter and lower is apparently better now."
"Is everyone going a lot faster now?"
"Nope."
"Surprise."

Same guy that used to say, "I love selling spoke wrenches. I make money when I sell the wrench and I make money when they have to come back later because they messed up their wheel."

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 09-24-20, 10:26 AM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 166 Posts
They've bought into the Kool Aide.
Old 09-24-20, 01:18 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 437 Posts
6'1'' and 185lbs (84kg) here and I am running 85PSI in my 25mms tubeless tires (mounted on 17mm internal width rims). I was running 100psi on my previous tubed setup. I could probably go even lower, but I am comfortable at that pressure.

They tend to lose 5-10PSI after 50-60kms and my butt is happy with that during long rides!

Last edited by eduskator; 09-24-20 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-24-20, 01:33 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
Data point: 141 lbs; 25 mm; 70 F, 75 R. Much higher and the bike feels unstable descending fast on rough pavement, of which there is a lot where I live. Haven’t gone lower.
Old 09-24-20, 01:58 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
"Nope."
"Surprise."
But they are traveling the same distance in the same time in far greater comfort .......

Same guy that used to say, "I love selling spoke wrenches. I make money when I sell the wrench and I make money when they have to come back later because they messed up their wheel."
That's hilarious .... after the sting fades .....
Old 09-24-20, 11:13 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Hey, at least my 12-year old brain had no trouble with hedonist's analogy!
Analogies are grand, but you have to make sure they don't lead you down the garden path to the wrong answer. The human brain is like a computer, that's awesome, I just ordered more memory for my brain because now that I'm over 40 I can't remember what I had for breakfast.

I think everybody got the analogy about the dull knife, but it sounds off, so I can't blame anyone for checking to see if it's really analogous. And it turns out it's not, kind of like how there are a lot of ways the brain isn't like a computer.
Old 09-24-20, 11:14 PM
Seattle Forrest

Now I'm getting ads for knives.
Old 09-25-20, 12:07 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
So after a few months of drinking the kool aid and riding at 80.85, i pumped my tires back up to 95/100 for the past couple of rides - and it has felt faster (given the wind and wattage). Was it a controlled test? No. But that loop is my main training route and I have a pretty good idea of what kind of speeds I do at different wattages and under various wind conditions, and this does feel faster. Admittedly, this is on very good quality tarmac, though.
Old 09-25-20, 03:46 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
It depends a lot on the road. I'm 72kg and ride on 23F / 25R GP5000s (which are a hair smaller than their older tires, or as they say - more true to size), latex inner tubes and a set of LB wheels with 17,9mm internal width. For reasonably nice to good roads, I go with about 100 to 110 psi, both front and rear, 110 actually seems optimal for going faster on good roads, and research seems to suggest so. At 110 psi, I do have to be a bit more careful cornering on uneven / broken up roads, though, because the bike bounces up and down on them a bit, but, conversely, the handling is great on smooth roads. If I go over a series of big speed bumps near my house at full speed at 110 psi, my bidons fly out, though. Going a bit lower, 100 psi is a nice compromise if I'm going to go over mixed quality roads and still goes fast and handles nicely - perhaps it's a bit less ideal if I have to climb something really steep when I stand on the pedals, where the rear tire doesn't feel all that solid because a lot of weight gets shifted on the rear.

For bad to broken up roads, less. I have a collection of local backroad training climbs some ten minutes of riding away from where I live, and here I tend to use less pressure still, around 90 psi typically. I've ridden with as little as 80 psi on the worst of them where the roads are a collection of patches and potholes and it really takes the bite out of them, but below some 95 psi the tires have a bit of give when you put your weight on them - it can be a bit disconcerting while cornering, and standing on the pedals the rear feels mushy and somehow draggy. Not ideal for going fast on a nice road.

When you consider that in the old days they rode 23s on narrower rims (which reduce overall tire width and air volume, needing more pressure to compensate, since a larger volume tire is a stiffer spring at the same pressure), maybe the 120 psi pressure they used then wasn't actually far off from ideal when the roads are good.

Last edited by Branko D; 09-25-20 at 04:25 AM.
Likes For Branko D:
Old 09-25-20, 05:37 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,344 Times in 933 Posts
The pressure to use depends on the load (how heavy you and the bikes are) and the wide the tires are.

People used to use just 120 because that was the number printed on the tire (as the maximum) and shops were abme to tell everybody one thing. It was just easy.

Many people were also using narrower tires. But, they’d use less with wider tires.
Old 09-25-20, 05:47 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
So after a few months of drinking the kool aid and riding at 80.85, i pumped my tires back up to 95/100 for the past couple of rides - and it has felt faster
As long as it feels faster that's all thats important.
Old 09-25-20, 09:00 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
I know you are being flippant, but in the interest of clarifying my earlier post: I do understand the distinction between something "feeling" faster and actually being faster (and that often, wheels that feel faster are actually not so). In this case, I dont mean "feel" as in "sensations". I meant that based on my expectations of speed given power and wind (which, I readily admit, is not at all scientifically valid or precise).
Old 09-25-20, 09:13 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,850 Times in 6,067 Posts
Anyway one time he was like telling a story and I suggested, "Oh you should probably lower your pressure a bit. Most of us that have been riding forever tend to be running a little high on pressure."
"Really? what do you recommend for me?"
"95-ish. Just below 100 as a start."
His eyes got big and he was like "WTF?! I ride 120! We used to just go as high as we could. The higher and the narrower the better."
"Yeah, well the fatter and lower is apparently better now."
"Nope."
"Surprise."
Ah, but the REAL question is, Is everyone going a lot SLOWER now?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-25-20, 09:16 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by znomit
I actually AM faster since lowering the pressure in my tires. I keep scoring PRs on Strava segments I've ridden dozens to >100 times. OTOH, I lost 25 lbd and am riding a whole lot more, so as a card-carrying Scientist*, I can't really say the lower pressures made me faster.

*(Well, it USED TO say "Scientist" on my cards, till I got promoted)

Old 09-25-20, 05:26 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
I know you are being flippant, but in the interest of clarifying my earlier post: I do understand the distinction between something "feeling" faster and actually being faster (and that often, wheels that feel faster are actually not so). In this case, I dont mean "feel" as in "sensations". I meant that based on my expectations of speed given power and wind (which, I readily admit, is not at all scientifically valid or precise).
With a power meter you can use RChung 's virtual elevation method to determine CdA and Crr.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 09-25-20, 06:32 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,050 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I actually AM faster since lowering the pressure in my tires. I keep scoring PRs on Strava segments I've ridden dozens to >100 times. OTOH, I lost 25 lbd and am riding a whole lot more, so as a card-carrying Scientist*, I can't really say the lower pressures made me faster.

Aren't you a little bit envious of people who know things with such certainty? Education is such a killjoy sometimes.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 09-25-20, 08:30 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by downtube42
Aren't you a little bit envious of people who know things with such certainty? Education is such a killjoy sometimes.
No, because they don't actually KNOW the things they think they know. They just BELIEVE them.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-26-20, 12:36 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Now I'm getting ads for knives.
Charlatans. I can point you at the good stuff.
Old 09-26-20, 01:21 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey

It's 2020, you don't need to back it up with data. If you identify as a faster rider we accept that.
Likes For znomit:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.