Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

C&O/GAP Logistics Question

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

C&O/GAP Logistics Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-20, 10:58 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Another option for Cumberland, is the YMCA. I camped there, and they let you use all their facilities as well. It was nice to use their showers. They also let us set up in their pavilion. I hung my hammock under the pavilion and didn't have to worry about using my rain fly.
I stayed there last year the day before I started my up and back GAP ride. That was my original plan this year, but I am not crazy about the location without having a car. But the main reason I went for the room is that one riding kit was still soaked from afternoon rain on the way to Rockwood the day before. (It poured again for about 30 min. around 10 pm. Came right out of the blue. The campground was crowded. It was funny to hear all the tent zippers of people who must have left out gear on the picnic tables.) The other hadn’t been washed after two uses. My cycling shoes were also still wet. And I had a hard day upcoming. 47 miles with 3,500’ of climbing and grades in excess of 10% on the way to a campground 4 miles east of Everett. It was nice to be able to grab breakfast and coffee at the hotel and roll out at the crack of dawn without having to pack up first.

Last edited by indyfabz; 09-26-20 at 11:03 AM.
Likes For indyfabz: