Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

80's Campy Victory derailleur peformance?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

80's Campy Victory derailleur peformance?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-07, 05:57 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,391 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by luker
But...I have a drawer in my garage just for worn out campy derailleurs
Any for trade?

-Kurt

Old 08-18-07, 06:01 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
would you like a worn out croce derailleur? I haven't any idea what a good trade for that would be...

<edit!>I'd be looking for six speed XT stuff...got any?</edit>
Old 08-19-07, 09:42 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
I mentioned that I wanted to try to get my Simplex SX610 to index. Well I just read that someone got them to index using Shimano 6 or 7 speed shifters and freewheels. It should work just as well with cassettes. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to.

Last edited by Grand Bois; 08-19-07 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-19-07, 11:02 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Not presently...I'll let you know if anything pops up. Want a beat '90s Deore LX?

-Kurt

Old 08-19-07, 11:13 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
would you like a worn out croce derailleur? I haven't any idea what a good trade for that would be...

Got any links to photos? I know where there is an old deore derailleur with blue on it... you know the one?

I guess that is too early... can you link to pics of what you are looking for?
Old 08-19-07, 11:48 PM
joe v

Bikes: ca.1975 Gitane Interclub - 90's Colnago Master Competition- ca.'84 Merckx Corsa - '77 Groene Leeuw - ca. '78 Guerciotti - ca.1984 L'Express - 1974 Gitane 'Super Olympic' - Peugeot 1981 PXN10 - 1975 Peugeot PR10 -1974 Norta -1974 Peugeot PX10 LE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dirtdrop
I've wanted to try a Victory ever since I read Frank Berto's upgrading book. Not many of them show up on eBay. That may just mean that they never sold many of them. They had no snob appeal.

Well, this thread has taken care of that then!
Old 03-23-11, 02:28 PM
elguicho 
Restore, ride, repeat...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to revive such an old thread but I was wondering how many speeds can an 85' Victory RD handle? Could it handle 8 speeds? Am I pushing it? I'm trying to finish a project and this is the last step.
Old 03-23-11, 04:15 PM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Campagnolo did offer an adapted cable adjuster later on though, but for purposes of Syncro indexed shifting.
-Kurt
Wha? Gran Sports had cable adjusters! I think they figured they weren't really needed.
Old 03-23-11, 04:58 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by dbakl
Wha? Gran Sports had cable adjusters! I think they figured they weren't really needed.
Not all generations of Gran Sport had the adjuster barrel. They were pretty ineffective, at any rate - they don't offer much adjustment, and the double-locknut setup is difficult to work with.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 03-23-11 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-23-11, 05:02 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by elguicho
Sorry to revive such an old thread but I was wondering how many speeds can an 85' Victory RD handle? Could it handle 8 speeds? Am I pushing it? I'm trying to finish a project and this is the last step.
I think it would, my Triomphe handles 7 quite easily. trial and error may be your friend here.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-23-11, 05:53 PM
ORS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been running an '85 Victory RD for six months now with nary a problem on a six-speed 13-21.

Until today

For some inexplicable reason, when shifting to the 21 sprocket, the chain over-shot into my beautiful stainless, double-butted aero spokes, ripping out five in the process Needless to say, this left a seriously disfigured and inoperative wheel, leaving me no option but to call a taxi-sag-wagon for the four mile trip home.

I'll rebuild it at the weekend. Never, in all my years .....
Old 09-08-16, 07:51 AM
cycledog1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by elguicho
its an even older thread now - but I'm wondering if any of you have used the victory RD s3 for up to 13-28 or 30? it was spec'd up to 30 on the rear, but not sure if it really worked that well, ie, got up there easily without the pully or cage hitting. the b adjustment looks like it could work ----------- but I'm replacing my NR and thought this would be a good derailleur to get the extra hills while keeping everything else intact(not a triple)

any thoughts?
Old 09-08-16, 10:13 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Are you referring to the First, short cage, or the Leisure, long cage, version?

I am not sure I may have a 28 on one of my bikes I'll try and remember to check when I get home.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-26-20, 10:33 AM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
Grand Bois-

Simplex SX 610s will index. I did mine with a Sachs ARIS 6 speed set of shifters, an ARIS Maillard 6spd freewheel and a Sedisport chain. Use SIS type cable sheathing and it will index impeccably. And yes, the adjuster really is necessary to fine tune the shifting. Ultimately, I decided I liked my Simplex Retrofrictions better but it is a viable and very effective option. Still have the ARIS shift levers, oddly.
Old 09-26-20, 01:33 PM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
Front deraiileur: not so bad, kept within its limits.
Rear derailleur: never going to equal a Superbe or Sprint...but you might get used to it.
I believe this is a good description.
Victory is a nice solid mech but shift with care.
Old 09-26-20, 01:44 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Where does the "980" fit in the Campy lineup?
Old 09-26-20, 03:25 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by branko_76
Where does the "980" fit in the Campy lineup?
The 980 was below the Triomphe

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 09-26-20, 03:55 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

As for the rear, Campagnolo Victory performs excellent over narrow-range freewheels, due mainly in part to the adjustable (but once adjusted, fixed-position) B-angle of the derailer. You can set the front pulley wheel very close to the cogs (and quite a ways in front) on a narrow range freewheel, and recieve superb shifting. For that matter, it also provides excellent chain wrap). See below photo ('87 Victory S3 shown):

On wide-range clusters, however, a derailer with spring-loaded top pivots outshine the Victory derailer, as you are limited as to your B-angle adjustment by that large cog. Chances are you won't be using a Victory derailer in this case (unless it is the Victory LX touring RD), so it doesn't particularly matter. See the not-too-extreme example below ('85 Victory RD):

As for the LX touring variant...not so hot. As mentioned above, the B-angle has to be adjusted to the point where the foward pulley wheel no longer sits foward of the freewheel or cassette's centerline when

Incedentally, although it may look virtually identical, the Triomphe derailer is considerably worse then the Victory. Like the NR, it has a fixed top pivot stop, but in an effort to give it better chain wrap-up capacity, the fixed stop was designed to leave the derailer paralellogram nearly vertical. The result? A foward pulley wheel that constantly remains behind the centerline of the freewheel, providing substandard performance. Using Triomphe RDs in conjunction with early Shimano 600 Uniglide freewheels seem to help though - I also suggest this freewheel in conjunction with the Victory for superb shifting.
I'm guessing that the adjustable "B" angle Victory shares a common angle with the non-adjustable Triomphe, is this correct?
Old 09-26-20, 04:04 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

I'm guessing that the adjustable "B" angle Victory shares a common angle with the non-adjustable Triomphe, is this correct?
All the CampI derailleurs were pretty much the same from the Record to the C-Rec. Some of the later ones had the B screw or that little insert. The Chorus was the real first departure from this decades old design

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 09-26-20, 05:34 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

In a sane world, yes. But the answer is no. Triomphe duplicates the nearly-vertical position of 980/990. Victory is superior in this regard, even when set at its most straight-up position.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 09-26-20, 06:23 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,480 Times in 3,206 Posts
On wide-range clusters ... chances are you won't be using a Victory derailer in this case unless it is the Victory LX touring RD.
Not super wide-range, but I'm running 13-25t and 14-28t Sunrace 7-speeds with my two Victory rd's. The stop piece is positioned so the derailleur is furthest back with both.

Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 09-26-20, 10:46 PM
branko_76 

Below are the 980, Triomphe and Victory, in that order. I now see the difference between the adjustable Victory and the others.

So, does each unique angle have an optimum cog size it was designed for?

Old 09-26-20, 10:56 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,480 Times in 3,206 Posts
^ Victory is missing the hanger bolt and stop piece ... but does have a ferrule in the housing stop.

Last edited by SurferRosa; 09-26-20 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-26-20, 11:13 PM
branko_76 

Old 09-27-20, 12:48 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

So, does each unique angle have an optimum cog size it was designed for?
I don't recall what the Campagnolo specs were, but as Triomphe goes, I'd caution that these specifications probably apply only to use on a Campagnolo 1010 dropout.

I found out years ago that the Triomphe stop (and probably the 980/990) is so poorly designed that some dropouts - which most take for granted are patterned after Campagnolo's 7-o'clock stop design - will not work as intended with them. Sometimes a Triomphe will hang perfectly vertical off a dropout, and sometimes they'll sit looking like a broken Simplex Prestige, angled backwards. In such cases, you'll usually find that the stop is jamming against the curve of the thick hanger and not actually resting on the stop intended to keep its position.

Sure, every other SunTour derailer will fit on that same dropout, as will good old Nuovo Record, but not Triomphe (or 980/990). I guess Campagnolo figured they could wrap just one more cog's worth at the expense of performance to sell these things off to manufacturers looking to pair their Cromor and 501 frames with an entry-level Campagnolo group - a group one that would allow for the widely-spaced freewheels (wide at the time) that most semi-pro stuff was fitted with.

I once filed a generic, Raleigh-branded forged dropout on a 1986 Raleigh Grand Prix to get it to fit nicely. I didn't file it much and don't entirely regret it. Nevertheless, in retrospect, I should have filed the stop on the Triomphe derailer instead; it was the misfit, not the frame.

Back when this thread was not 13 years old, I often recommended the Victory derailer over Triomphe here on BikeForums. I've come to rethink my position. That multi-position adjustable stop that @branko_76 shows in the photo above is all too often missing. It also has a penchant for cracking just like the pivot stop of Campagnolo's other piece of overhyped and under-engineered piece of bike jewelry, C-Record.

I'm a bit wiser now. Given the choice between Victory or Triomphe for use, I'd recommend a Triomphe under the following conditions: File it until it fits your dropout, then file it until it suits your chain wrap. Don't file it to the point that the stop breaks - but even then, you can probably drill and tap the body for a small Allen head screw that'll be just as serviceable if not more so. You're turning it, functionally, into Nuovo Record.

And better yet, Triomphes are cheap - or at least they should be. Last I looked they were usually a bit cheaper to Victory. But it's a crap shoot, because 50% of the sellers mix the two up. The remainder throw ludicrously high prices on them without even knowing WTF they are, but hey, "...it's Campagnolo! Let me **** your wallet, you moron!"

This still comes with the caveat that you want Triomphe or Victory because you really like the way it looks. Provided you are content with a gorgeous hunk of aluminum that doesn't shift that well on anything but a modern ramped freewheel or an old corncob, that's fine. But if you've got some real hills to climb, dig up a decent Shimano or Suntour derailer from the same era - otherwise you're riding the snob boat or have drug-enhanced legs like Floyd Landis. A caveat, of course, that the Suntour V-series and its ridiculously heavy spring rate need not apply for this job.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a sucker for aesthetics and live in a place where a 3-degree grade is a "hill." I've enjoyed owning both Triomphe and Victory groups and don't regret it, but I've done so accepting the flaws of their derailers. Most Nuovo Record owners have understood this since the 1970's; some have been less humble about it than others. Triomphe and Victory are just beautiful enough that they've endured a similar (if smaller) interest all these years, and both groups are just accessible enough to for C&V'ers who never thought they'd have access to Campy to have access to Campy. If you fall into the latter camp, follow the advice above and accept that the performance will - in many cases - be a tradeoff for appearance. Enjoy them for their beauty, and stay humble about their capabilities.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 09-27-20 at 09:17 AM.
Likes For cudak888:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.