Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What is your favorite 2" hitch mount bike rack?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-15, 09:13 PM
therh

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 2.0 (Tiagra)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What is your favorite 2" hitch mount bike rack for 1 or 2 bikes under $250?

RH
Old 08-26-15, 07:09 AM
cicatrize

Bikes: 2016 Emonda ALR 5, 2014 Trek 7.2 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my Allen Sports Deluxe 3-bike. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001M4KXDM

They frequently have "sales" on this. I got mine for $65. My only complaint with it is that you need to bolt+nut it into the receiver ever time. However, it's very stable.
Old 08-26-15, 08:00 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 365 Posts
Problem with the Allen Sport, and any rack that mounts like that are:

1) nothing keeps the bikes from swinging. Wind resistance and uneven pavement will cause the bikes to swing in the mount, and rub on each other. ( killed a carbon fiber fork from rubbing on another bike, before I learned that)

2) nothing keeps the front wheel from flapping around, so you need to do something to secure that,

3) those rubber straps can and do fail. I had a Yakima rack with essentially the same closures, and almost lost a $5,000 bike on the interstate. Seeing the bike sailing in the wind, with only one strap still attached, on the interstate at 75mph is not a good feeling.

If you value your bikes, I would swing for something with a wheel tray mount, or a fork mount.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-26-15, 08:09 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh

1) nothing keeps the bikes from swinging. Wind resistance and uneven pavement will cause the bikes to swing in the mount, and rub on each other. ( killed a carbon fiber fork from rubbing on another bike, before I learned that)

2) nothing keeps the front wheel from flapping around, so you need to do something to secure that,

3) those rubber straps can and do fail. I had a Yakima rack with essentially the same closures, and almost lost a $5,000 bike on the interstate. Seeing the bike sailing in the wind, with only one strap still attached, on the interstate at 75mph is not a good feeling.

If you value your bikes, I would swing for something with a wheel tray mount, or a fork mount.
^ All of this. I have a Yakima hitch mount rack and I always feel a little queasy strapping my bike down. It's so crowded when I put 4 bikes on it that it's actually difficult to get them all in place and subsequently they don't move much but...

If you can spare the money, one-up racks look fantastic. https://www.1upusa.com/bicycleracks.html

Buy once, cry once. Don't bother with 1 & 1/4 inch hitch mounts either IMO.
Old 08-26-15, 01:26 PM
t595

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
A little over your price range, but Kuat racks are great. I have been using one a lot this past year and they mount easily including a cam lock in the reciever so the rack doesn't sway. the bike rides in cups that hold the wheels. Really great racks
Old 08-26-15, 01:35 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by t595
A little over your price range, but Kuat racks are great. I have been using one a lot this past year and they mount easily including a cam lock in the reciever so the rack doesn't sway. the bike rides in cups that hold the wheels. Really great racks
Küat, worth the money, LOVE that thing!

Hauls my road bikes and my fatbikes with no changes!

Old 08-26-15, 01:38 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
I got a Curt hitch mounted carrier for FIVE bikes. Options were pretty limited for 5-bikes but this one works great, and it actually fits five bikes. Price: under $200. A bargain.

CURT Premium Hitch Mounted Bike Rack #18065 - Canadian Hitches

Okay. it was under $200 when I bought it.

Still the issue with bikes swinging, but not really a problem with a few well-placed straps here and there.
Old 08-26-15, 01:57 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
There are only two options: Kuat NV or 1UPUSA. Kuat has more "features" but 1upusa is more "solid"
Old 08-26-15, 02:59 PM
therh

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 2.0 (Tiagra)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Texas, and do not want to pay international shipping and only have one road bike and looking to get a second.

Last edited by therh; 08-26-15 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-26-15, 03:05 PM
cicatrize

Bikes: 2016 Emonda ALR 5, 2014 Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1. I don't have this issue with mine. I'm not sure if I strap it down tight or if it just fits really well into the mold, but neither my road bike nor my hybrid swing at all on my Allen.

2. Fair point. This is actually really annoying, and is the one big reason you want to get a nicer rack.

3. Mine doesn't have rubber ones that "snap in", but I've seen those. My rack has nylon straps that you loop and pull. Haven't had an issue yet.
Old 08-26-15, 03:09 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked 5,491 Times in 2,844 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
^ All of this. I have a Yakima hitch mount rack and I always feel a little queasy strapping my bike down. It's so crowded when I put 4 bikes on it that it's actually difficult to get them all in place and subsequently they don't move much but...

If you can spare the money, one-up racks look fantastic. https://www.1upusa.com/bicycleracks.html

Buy once, cry once. Don't bother with 1 & 1/4 inch hitch mounts either IMO.
+1
I had never seen or heard of the brand until one day when I saw one parked at a trailhead.
As I was ogling it, I soon found myself joined by another cyclist, and we were both admiring it.
Old 08-26-15, 04:00 PM
HornedFrog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1upusa has been great. Holding the bikes by the tires is the best way to go.
Old 08-26-15, 04:07 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts

The bottom bar, which is called something like an anti-sway bar, works fairly well. It's not perfect, but if you secure the wheels really tight, it does keep multi bikes from crashing into each other.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.

Last edited by Nachoman; 08-26-15 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-26-15, 04:32 PM
sour

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I have a Kuat NV, but if doing it again would probably get the 1Up rack. Both are top notch, but I like the design of the 1up better. One down side to older 1up racks was, a supposed, inability to lock the rack to the car since they do not use a conventional hitch pin. However, they now provide a means to secure to the rack.

While the Kuat has been great for me, the one thing that I don't like is that front wheel retaining mechanism. A friend broke one, but Kuat replaced it for him.

Both are probably outside your price range.
Old 08-27-15, 09:25 AM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by therh
What is your favorite 2" hitch mount bike rack for 1 or 2 bikes under $250?
RH
Without a doubt mine is the Transit from Performance Bike. It holds 4 bikes and I bought it for 20% off and on triple points back weekend. It locks on the car and it also locks the bikes. It is heavy, which in my opinion is the only down side. I know that 1up and Kuat's are nice but they are also very expensive. I do not leave mine on the vehicle so it does not really see any bad weather. I can't say enough good things about it, especially for the price. Great product.
Originally Posted by cicatrize
I love my Allen Sports Deluxe 3-bike. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001M4KXDM
They frequently have "sales" on this. I got mine for $65. My only complaint with it is that you need to bolt+nut it into the receiver ever time. However, it's very stable.
This was my first rack. It does the job but it makes me nervous. I only use it for short trips from my house to the bike shop, which is about 2-3 miles. It does not hold various bikes. I can't get my wife's mtb or my son's mtb on it. It will hold my 29er though.
I have to admit that the thing scares me a little. I do not like the straps even though I have had no incidents. I always secure my front wheel with a bungee cord to keep it from moving. I have to secure all the wheels if we transport more than 1 bike to keep them from moving and scratching the other bikes.
All in all, I find the platform style hitch mounts superior. The bikes are more secure and the do not touch each other. It holds different styles of bikes, which is critical. It also locks easy. I am not sure that I need to lock it to the car though. I would love to see the hulk that could lift that thing with multiple bikes locked on to it. Nashbar has similar one to the Transit but if my memory is correct, it does not lock the bikes. Either way, they are great products.
Old 08-27-15, 01:24 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
I bought a oneup a few months ago and have been totally satisfied with it. I bought just the 1 bike tray so while expensive it wasn't that expensive. It is a one time thing and I use it all the time so I thought I might as well do it right.
Old 08-27-15, 03:17 PM
d77

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale SuperSix 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 5 bike Allen rack I got from Amazon as well. Works great when travelling with 5 bikes as they don't swing at all. With just one bike it does swing a bit but I haven't had a problem with it. I'm not driving the SUV like a race car so it's not an issue for me.
Old 08-27-15, 03:25 PM
vtdougie

Bikes: Felt Z-5 Cannondale Quick 5

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Put a short bungee cord from you water bottle cage, through the front wheel and back to the other side of the water bottle
cage and your front wheel will not swing. Also works like a parking brake when you pull it off the car and want to fill the tires, or get
your saddle bag ready for a ride.