Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Ford Invented Anti-Dooring Mirrors

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 03-08-20, 01:21 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 128 Posts

I'm glad to see an auto manufacturer is finally exploring this technology.

Yes, the Dutch reach is free, but humans are notoriously unreliable. It is for this reason we have developed countless technologies devoted to compensating for human negligence and stupidity.
Old 03-08-20, 01:44 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts

They also need to make sure blinkers are visible on mirrors, and on multiple locations around the car. Side of the front?
Old 03-09-20, 05:36 AM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
That might work well in tests of bicycle riders going 4 MPH. What about 11 or 13 or 18 MPH?
Old 03-09-20, 05:48 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
That might work well in tests of bicycle riders going 4 MPH. What about 11 or 13 or 18 MPH?
If you are moving at 18MPH, GET OT OF THE DOOR ZONE, yes, get out of the door zone... you must be seen by other traffic.

Even at lower speeds, you need to be seen by other traffic... but, I am fully aware that trying to "negotiate" for space, at a lower speed, can be an exercise in futility... no matter how "vehicular" you act, at lower speeds, you will not be treated that way.

Even a higher speeds, there is always some motorist that thinks only cars belong.

But at 18 MPH, you tend to be moving at a pace that blends in with other traffic.
Old 03-09-20, 06:04 AM
CrankyOne

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Agree, 18 MPH is too fast for a DZBL. What then is an appropriate speed?

What triggers the warning lites? The driver beginning to pull on the door handle? That provides maybe less than a second of additional warning time? Are the warning lites on if a driver is in their seat it might be better?

There's a reason that Dutch (and most developed countries except the U.S.) no longer build Door Zone Bike Lanes. They are dangerous in numerous ways; drivers opening doors, drivers pulling out of their space without looking for bicycle riders, drivers pulling in to the bike lane so that they can parallel park, drivers crossing the bike lane to park and squeezing bicycle riders between parked cars and cars driven by inattentive drivers with nowhere to escape if a driver seers in to the DZBL.
Old 03-09-20, 06:21 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
It may not help in all situations, but its a step in the right direction.
Old 03-09-20, 06:55 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
If this technology actually prevents the door from being opened, it would be a welcome feature. The video shows the feature only on the left front door, though I hope that they apply detection and locking for all doors.
Old 03-09-20, 07:43 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Sadly, a locking feature might be a liability, such that the system "detects" something and the driver is in a "must exit" situation... the only credible example I can think of is a car in water/flood.
Old 03-09-20, 08:28 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Agree, 18 MPH is too fast for a DZBL. What then is an appropriate speed?

What triggers the warning lites? The driver beginning to pull on the door handle? That provides maybe less than a second of additional warning time? Are the warning lites on if a driver is in their seat it might be better?

There's a reason that Dutch (and most developed countries except the U.S.) no longer build Door Zone Bike Lanes. They are dangerous in numerous ways; drivers opening doors, drivers pulling out of their space without looking for bicycle riders, drivers pulling in to the bike lane so that they can parallel park, drivers crossing the bike lane to park and squeezing bicycle riders between parked cars and cars driven by inattentive drivers with nowhere to escape if a driver seers in to the DZBL.
Unfortunately Ontario, Canada also builds or paints Door-Zone bicycle lanes. I spent years teaching bicyclists to not ride in the door-zone and then the cities put in door-zone bicycling lanes. Idiots!

Cheers
Old 03-09-20, 12:36 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
It would have been easier to move the driverside interior door handle backwards a foot to where the arm is and install a label that says "Right hand to open".
Old 03-09-20, 04:24 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Unfortunately Ontario, Canada also builds or paints Door-Zone bicycle lanes. I spent years teaching bicyclists to not ride in the door-zone and then the cities put in door-zone bicycling lanes. Idiots!
That's because when you crunch it all together ... there really isn't any other practical place to put them! Used intelligently (what a concept) a DZBL need not be lethal. Millions of us are living proof. If you are doored it likely isn't because you were in a DZBL it is because you were doing one or more things that impaired your ability to stop in time to avoid a hazard. Fix that and you eliminate the need to throw expensive technology on a low occurrence situation.
Old 03-09-20, 04:30 PM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by CliffordK

They also need to make sure blinkers are visible on mirrors, and on multiple locations around the car. Side of the front?
What new car doesn't have these things? You and me both ride in the land of lax DOT enforcement of vehicle compliance, how much legacy iron do you see on your commutes? Besides, fancy blinkers are only beneficial if drivers use them. That could be a whole thread in itself ...
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 03-09-20, 04:51 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
I couldn't get sound with that video so question - does it stop the door from opening further or just make a light show and trust the operator to do the right thing?

Ben
Old 03-09-20, 04:59 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I couldn't get sound with that video so question - does it stop the door from opening further or just make a light show and trust the operator to do the right thing?

Ben
"Alerts the driver and prevents the door from being fully opened."
Old 03-09-20, 05:00 PM
njkayaker

Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
What new car doesn't have these things?
Some new cars don't have blinkers on the side mirrors. I suspect it's not just a few.
Old 03-09-20, 05:23 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
What new car doesn't have these things? You and me both ride in the land of lax DOT enforcement of vehicle compliance, how much legacy iron do you see on your commutes? Besides, fancy blinkers are only beneficial if drivers use them. That could be a whole thread in itself ...
One talks about "Rainy Oregon", but cars last a reasonably long time here.

As a cyclist, I notice maybe < 10% of the vehicles with mirror turn signals, and it is not clear if it is a mandate. Very few, if any, seem to link the finder clearance lights to the turn signals. Many do have wrap-around lights, but even so, they are designed for signals to be seen in front and behind.

And, since the mirror lights are often hidden in one form or another, the only way to ascertain for sure whether they exist is to fully pass the vehicle, and look back and see if it is signalling (assuming you've missed the rear signals for one reason or another).
Originally Posted by 79pmooney

Ben
I believe that it said that it "Momentarily prevents the doors from being fully opened" (as well as internal beeps and flashes).
Old 03-09-20, 06:27 PM
CoffeedrinkerNC

Bikes: Trek Verve 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
It still takes the driver to pay attention...the major problem today is drivers are distracted, these mirrors are not going to help most people.
Old 03-11-20, 05:03 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Some years ago, a woman in town was riding her bike when she was doored by a driver who was laying across the passenger seat to get something, so he was invisible from outside, and then he KICKED HIS DOOR OPEN before sitting up. Yes, she was wearing a foam hat, but still received major head trauma. Forking cagers.
Old 03-11-20, 06:10 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

The absolute best way to avoid being doored is DON'T RIDE IN THE DOOR ZONE (caps for emphasis not shouting here). If a bike lane puts you in t he door zone then don't ride in that bike lane.

Cheers
Old 03-12-20, 09:03 PM
Chistophe516

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Or faster than that.
Old 03-12-20, 11:32 PM
Chistophe516

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

Some cars, now have them on the front and rear quarter panels.
Old 03-13-20, 04:49 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
The absolute best way to avoid being doored is DON'T RIDE IN THE DOOR ZONE (caps for emphasis not shouting here). If a bike lane puts you in t he door zone then don't ride in that bike lane.

Cheers
Sometimes using the bike lane under these circumstances is unavoidable. No choice but to be vigilant and not go 18 mph.. not much risk of that in my case unless downhill.
Old 03-13-20, 09:22 AM
Leisesturm

Cheers
You ARE, in fact, shouting. I understand. You kind of have to when no one is paying attention to your impractical advice. I just got in from the morning commute and cruising in the DZBL (like 98.9% of them are) a parked car with its left wheels ON the right hand deliniation (doesn't get anymore DZ than that) suddenly opened the driverside door! Blasting towards a sure kill for the hapless driver I wasn't concerned much for myself. I was ready. That cager was dead meat. Or were they. Turns out that without even leaving the bike lane I slid by the half open door with room to spare. I mean, how many drivers open the door all the way? And if they did ... well there is the travel lane isn't there? It's not like there is a hard barrier keeping a bicycle on an inevitable collision path with a fully open car door.

I really have trouble believing that thousands of Civil Engineers in hundreds of American cities colluded to bring about the demise of commuter cyclists through attrition from dooring deaths. Use the DZBL when provided and call it good. I (and others) would much rather take chances with stationary cars with half open (or fully for that matter) driverside doors than mix it up with cars and trucks in motion at 20mph and more. So save your breath and stop shouting. Ride where directed by signage. It really is the better way.
Old 03-13-20, 09:46 PM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Sometimes using the bike lane under these circumstances is unavoidable. No choice but to be vigilant and not go 18 mph.. not much risk of that in my case unless downhill.
In traffic I will not ride in the door zone even if it's a bicycle lane. Why? Because if someone opens a driver side door when I'm directly opposit them I'd be deflected into traffic or under some vehicle's wheels. It's simply not worth the risk to me.

Headrests on automobile seats and a driver of small staure can make it impossible to see that driver as you approach the vehicle. Add in tinted rear and side windows (not the driver's) and it's even harder to tell if someone is in the driver's seat. Or if the driver is leaning down and opens the door.

YMMV and apparently does but my advice is to simply avoid riding in the door zone.

Cheers
Old 03-13-20, 10:48 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
I...

Because if someone opens a driver side door when I'm directly opposit(e) them I'd be deflected into traffic or under some vehicle's wheels. It's simply not worth the risk to me.

Headrests on automobile seats and a driver of small sta(t)ure can make it impossible to see that driver as you approach the vehicle. Add in tinted rear and side windows (not the driver's) and it's even harder to tell if someone is in the driver's seat. Or if the driver is leaning down and opens the door.

This. I was doored twice, many years ago. Both time I could not see that there was anybody in the car. One was at night, parked below a streetlight with no lights on in the car. The other was a woman looking for her kid's toy on the floor before opening the door. Both times I was tossed into the middle of the car lane. If you think about it, a car door is a device designed to toss objects weighing 100 to several hundred pounds away from the car at most of the speed that object was traveling prior to. THe car door doesn't kill you. The vehicle behind you just might. (There was a tread on this where the truck driver was driving illegally. The thread went on for pages before someone pointed out that his driving status had zero to do with this death. The best driver in the world would have been in the same boat unless he choose to stay well behind the cyclist until the road was clear of parked cars. In some cities, that doesn't happen and driving that slow would irritate many drivers.

Ben

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.