Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Mountain bikes made in USA

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-20, 10:29 AM
groverdill

Bikes: Giant Iguana, Cannondale hybrid, Trek Beach Cruiser, Vintage Sears Cruiser(restored by me!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

When the lockdown ends, one of the first things on my list is to support my lbs with the purchase of a new mountain bike. Since I live in America, I also want to support American jobs by buying a bike made here in the USA. When I googled “bikes made in America “ it gave me a list of well over 200 companies, most of which I’d never heard of. The only one I recognized was Trek. Is that the only “major” bike manufacturer in the U. S.? I have nothing against smaller companies, and if I find a bike I like I’ll certainly buy it. In fact that probably makes more sense.

Does country of origin matter to you folks when purchasing a bike? It didn’t used to for me, but I think the American economy will need my dollars.

If you know of a great bike company that builds quality mountain bikes in the USA, please comment. Thanks.

Mike
Old 04-24-20, 11:15 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Most of those that popped up aren't "MADE" in the US, they are just US companies. How made in the US do you want? Is just the frame good enough?
Likes For Canker:
Old 04-24-20, 11:25 AM
Chad991

Bikes: Lynsky Helix Pro

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Canker
Most of those that popped up aren't "MADE" in the US, they are just US companies. How made in the US do you want? Is just the frame good enough?
Yup, trek ain't made in USA. Lynsky is, pricey but worth it. Seven cycles and litespeed are USA made. And I think MOOTS....i like spending my money here too
Old 04-24-20, 12:08 PM
eshew

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 29 Posts
Guerrilla Gravity makes their carbon frames in house now in Colorado, if you're looking for an modern dual suspension bike that would be my first choice if I had to buy USA made.

Honestly I don't care where the bike is made, I mostly buy used anyway so I'm not really supporting anyone aside from the previous owner.

I do usually buy all my parts and supplies from US based online stores, but I work on my own bikes since I don't like the prices or wait time at local bike shops

What type of bike mountain bike are you looking for?
Old 04-24-20, 12:09 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
This is a familiar topic. Pretty much the only thing you can't find MUSA is shifting and tires ... and maybe saddles? You can get frames, hubs and other bearings, rims, spokes, suspension, some drivetrain, cockpit. But no one offers a build like this, it's all assemble yourself.

For mass market, Guerilla Gravity makes frames in the USA. There are lots of build-to-order shops. Ventana and Sycip are the ones local to me. Ventana was started by a man who was once a welder at my employer, and they often make frames for other brands when they're starting out.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 04-24-20, 02:30 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
How much are you looking to spend?
Lenz Sport and Alchemy are a few more. I own or owned both and build is solid. Not necessarily better than a Pivot or Banshee. All great frames.
I liked the Guerrilla Gravity bikes I've demo'd, but I ride too whimpy to need a bike so over built.
Prices will start around 5K if it's in the range
Old 04-25-20, 08:40 AM
grubetown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
There are many frame builders in the US - Reeb and Sklar are two popular ones also.
Old 04-25-20, 12:20 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
There are many custom makers in the USA that make frames/forks. But most parts come from over seas. Shimano from Japan is nice.
Old 04-25-20, 01:10 PM
carlosponti

Bikes: '90 Raleigh Technium Prestige, '90 Fuji Thrill - Gone, '18 Fuji Nevada 1.7 29er, '19 Fezzari Abajo Peak

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
reeb bikes
https://reebcycles.com/
Old 04-26-20, 12:54 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by Gconan
But most parts come from over seas.
That's true by quantity since most people buy complete bikes. But there are many things you can get MUSA. I get to look at this stuff every few years because NAHBS likes Sacramento. It's small but not that small and it's vibrant. King, Paul, White, Phil, Industry 9, Velocity, Wheelsmith, Wolf Tooth, MRP and Wren will get you a long way.

And maybe I'll buy it all when I win the lottery... right now I've got a pretty cheap bike.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 04-27-20, 07:32 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Going with a 100% made in the USA bicycle, not just frame, is gonna be a pricey endeavor. Take on the challenge and tell us how much it comes out to.
Likes For commo_soulja:
Old 04-27-20, 02:57 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 129 Posts
What was not mentioned in this thread is a fundamental difference in the market. In general:
1) The "big" bicycle brands sold at all local bike shops (LBS) and their dog**** counterparts at the mass merchant are all made overseas. Frames & components made abroad, the vast majority in Asia. This is the current reality of the global marketplace. Where 20 years ago there was a smattering of US-made frames by the big brands, you still had foreign components. So in the end, only ONE thing on the bike was US-made, the frame. Trek and Cannondale were the last of the "big" makers to finally move everything overseas.
2) The actual "made in USA" bikes are almost always made in USA FRAMES. And these tend to be small production local framebuilders. All the rest of the components are usually sourced from overseas as well. But not all. Many of the high-end bikes have US-made components from the brands listed. There are some larger producers here (Litespeed), but they're a small segment.
3) A FULLY-MADE IN USA bicycle, top to bottom, stem to stern is a very, VERY RARE THING. As the last poster indicated, it would be a fun endeavor AND expensive.

So your choices are this:
Foreign-made bikes of all flavors and prices. The killer $12k Yeti full suspension rig and the $75 WalFart bike are made in Asia (for most intents and purposes). This is what 99% of the American public purchase. There are really awesome bikes and then there are the not-so-awesome bikes (showing restraint, not sure why!).

Boutique bikes made by American framebuilders. They are a thing to behold. Beautiful. Collectors items. Something to ride for a lifetime. But along with this comes high price and oftentimes a long wait. But it can be worth it.

So I hope that helps put things into perspective.
Old 04-27-20, 05:28 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
There is actually a big box store brand that started manufacturing in the US a year ago. Something with P.
I assume they just assemble and import the frames. Google kevcentral, he reviewed them. There is also Detroit bikes.

Bonus point, all of those are sold at Walmart prices.

You didn't say you wanted quality, you just wanted made in USA.
Old 04-27-20, 07:04 PM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
Go custom,man. Find your closest sweet framebuilder who can put you on an adjusto-stationary bike to get the size and geometry dialed in perfect. I love my indy fab.