Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help with Bike size

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Help with Bike size

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-20, 11:24 AM
Daytona73

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help with Bike size

Hello, need some advice please. I'm looking at buying a mountain bike, mainly for exercise to have a ride around local parks etc. I am unsure on what size frame to get, I am in my 40s, 5ft 9 and 14.8 stone in weight. I was looking online and it seems to suggest an 18 inch frame would be suitable, however when I went to Halfords the guy there (quite a young lad) said a 20 inch frame would be suitable.

Also the bike I am looking at weighs in at 15.4kg, is that too heavy?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by Daytona73; 07-24-20 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-24-20, 01:38 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytona73
Hello, need some advice please. I'm looking at buying a mountain bike, mainly for exercise to have a ride around local parks etc. I am unsure on what size frame to get, I am in my 40s, 5ft 9 and 14.8 stone in weight. I was looking online and it seems to suggest an 18 inch frame would be suitable, however when I went to Halfords the guy there (quite a young lad) said a 20 inch frame would be suitable.

Also the bike I am looking at weighs in at 15.4kg, is that too heavy?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
You can't choose a bike based on frame size because there is no standardization between manufactures. Our bodies are also different. Two people of the same height can have different size legs or torsos. I will say at 5"9", most 20" frames will be too large for you unless you have very long legs.
Old 07-24-20, 01:58 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Yes, hard to generalize. Maybe post a link to the bike you are looking at and folks can check the geometry chart. FWIW, I'm the same height and the MTBs I've had in the past were 17" and 19". The 19" was too big.