Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Titanium Road & Gravel Bike...Wheel/Tire Question

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-20, 12:52 PM
rfield54

Bikes: '16 Cervelo R5 .... Alchemy Arion .... Alchemy Ronin Ti ... Santa Cruz 5010CC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I'm in the process of ordering a new Ti framed bike, with versatility as a goal. For a few reasons I've decided to purchase an Alchemy, either the Ronin Ti, or the Chiron (Ti). I'll be doing a lot of asphalt bikepacking (typical load: about 8-10lbs of pack weight), and some gravel riding. I'm not interested in MTB type terrain, as I would use my MTB for that. I've ordered the Ronin Ti with 32 Conti GP5000 tubeless, and was planning on a second 650wheelset, with maybe 45mm tires. The Chiron is described as more of a cyclocross bike, and has a max allowance for 38mm tires.

Aside from any personal experience advice, I'm curious as to what the maximum recommended tire width on a 650c wheel might be for the Chiron. Would it still be 38mm as specified for a 700c setup, or is the restriction based on overall wheel/tire height, and not so much on width, allowing for a bigger tire? (I wasn't able to get a clear answer from Alchemy)

https://alchemybicycles.com/product/ronin-ti/
https://alchemybicycles.com/product/chiron-carbon/

Thanks, Roy
Old 09-05-20, 01:20 PM
rfield54

Bikes: '16 Cervelo R5 .... Alchemy Arion .... Alchemy Ronin Ti ... Santa Cruz 5010CC

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
(...give or take, a 47mm x 650b tire has the same outside diameter as a 28mm x 700c wheelset)
Old 09-05-20, 06:11 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Width will be your worries. The Ronin allows about an 8 mm difference between the two sizes and I would make the assumption that the Chiron will be close to that.

The two biggest differences between those bikes for me was the head tube length and the bottom bracket drop. In my size 54 there is about a 1" difference in length which is huge. Bottom bracket drop is only 4 mm but for people sensitive to this it can be something to consider.

BTW, nice choice for a bike. Keep us updated on which bike you choose and how it is when you purchase it.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 09-05-20, 07:18 PM
rfield54

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks blakcloud. So you've ridden both bikes? Do you ride one now?

I'm strongly considering the custom frame geometry option, as Alchemy can come really close to nailing my Retul stats. The difference between the CAD drawing of the custom RoninTi and my two current road bikes, which I thought fit me well (56) is pretty staggering! Which leads me to believe that I've never actually been on a road bike that truly fit me. (my two road bikes are an Alchemy Arion and a '16 Cervelo R5)

Last edited by rfield54; 09-05-20 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-06-20, 07:15 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Personal opinion is I’d like the ability to go wider tires beyond 2” fo some gravel, but I’m also a. Clydesdale and not a skinny.

short version- have the capability to go wide as you can on your frame clearance.
Old 09-06-20, 04:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Go with whatever frame has the biggest clearance. I would go Ronin personally, it looks like a great bike and one I would get myself if I had all the budget to buy a bunch of ti gravel bikes (I have a big list).
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 09-06-20, 06:50 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
It really depends but I doubt you would be able to fit more than 650x42 if you can do 700x38
Old 09-06-20, 11:46 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Firdt off, its completely absurd that the brand cant answer your question. One of the few benefits of a boutique brand is that you get better service. If not, then the price is even less justifiable.

Get the ronin and just use 700c wheels. There is no benefit to a 650x48 if you can fit a 700x45 in there. Its pretty redundant at that point.
Old 09-07-20, 07:07 PM
rfield54

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Get the ronin and just use 700c wheels
That's what I'll be doing...I'm going in to Alchemy this Friday to have some measurements taken for a custom Ronin Ti, and with that info and my Retul report from a few years ago, I should be a happy camper in the near future.

Last edited by rfield54; 09-07-20 at 07:18 PM.
Likes For rfield54:
Old 09-07-20, 08:54 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
It still amazes me that people are spending so much money on bikes to take short rides on dirt trails. Something has to give in this bike craze.
Old 09-07-20, 08:59 PM
rfield54

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20
It still amazes me that people are spending so much money on bikes to take short rides on dirt trails. Something has to give in this bike craze.
This is a blanket statement, full of assumptions. To whom are you referring? WHAT PEOPLE?
Likes For rfield54:
Old 09-08-20, 07:50 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
1- when has distance been mentioned? It hasnt, so you assuming the rides are short. The OP may do 20-70mi rides 5x/week and average 800mi per month. Who knows since none of that is discussed. Its irrelevant, but its really absurd that you assume and then criticize based on the assumption. Its almost as if that is a common logical fallacy...

2- what is a lot of money to one person is less of an issue to another. Criticizing how others spend their money is a popular past time, but that doesnt make it justifiable. Its quite shallow. Everyone has different hobbies and priorities. Buying an expensive bike employs locals, just like any other form of spending money. It isnt everyone else's job to tell someone how to 'best' spend their money. Dont be that person because chances are, you wont like what you hear when criticized. <---that too was an assumption. we all do it.

3- gravel bikes and bikepacking existed well before 'this bike craze'. In fact, it was a common theme for journalists to write about- the idea that this 'new' segment would help popularize cycling and bring in business to failing shops. I dont know why you link riding dirt trails to the bike craze. Mountain biking has been around for decades and bikepacking as well as the gravel bike market are both not new since the craze.

4- I have an $8 can opener. My sister has a $30 can opener, and its also manual. They open cans equally. I shake my head when I use hers because I dont get it, but I accept that its something she finds value in and likes(otherwise she wouldnt have kept it for so many years). I cant imagine criticizing everything that others spend money on which I dont find value in. And I cant imagine being subjected to such a dumb process.

tldr- dont be that person.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-08-20, 08:07 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Congratulations on a very fine bike! Good choice between the two as well.
Likes For Gconan:
Old 09-08-20, 08:34 AM
rfield54

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks mstateglfr , and thanks to you as well Gconan
Old 09-08-20, 09:04 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by rfield54
Thanks blakcloud. So you've ridden both bikes? Do you ride one now?

SNIPPED. . .
Sorry if there was a miscommunication on my part, I haven't ridden or even seen the bikes. I was just looking at the geometry numbers and their descriptions when I wrote my reply. I used my size just as a control feature between the two bikes.

Glad to hear you have made a decision on which bike to purchase. I am envious. Keep us updated please.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 09-09-20, 02:13 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr

tldr- dont be that person.
this and thank you
Old 09-09-20, 09:39 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
It still amazes me that people on a bike forum are complaining about cool bikes. A Magna, you bet, a rusty Schwinn Collegiate, 100%, a boring open mold plastic bike from China, sure let's do it, but a CUSTOM BUILT TITANIUM BIKE...SERIOUSLY**********???!!!!!!**********?!!!!!!!!!!!

I for one cannot wait to see the bike and I could give two craps how long this person rides on it. It is a neat bike on a forum dedicated to bikes. Isn't the world screwed up enough? Can't we just come together right now and say "that sounds like a cool bike, enjoy it"? Even if you are just a utility cyclist, and a cheap stiff aluminum hybrid with a 3 speed hub and solid tires makes your pantaloons moistened, surely you could at least find some slight positivity in some aspect of a handbuilt bike.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 09-10-20, 08:21 AM
rfield54

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I got my first real drop bar multi-speed bike in 1966, my first GOOD bike in 1981, and I now still ride a lot (450 hours, 7,000 miles and 540,000' of elevation gain last year...more this year). So when someone says "spending so much money on bikes to take short rides on dirt trails", I'm inclined to reply "you may go straight to HELL" (with a smile on my face, of course!!)

Last edited by rfield54; 09-10-20 at 08:50 AM.
Old 09-10-20, 10:55 AM
Razorrock

Bikes: Litespeed

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
Not sure if you checked out the Litespeed Ultimate Gravel. They have a decent sale going on right now. It shows 45mm on 700c & 2.0 on 650B.

I just got in my Litespeed Cherohala last week that I ordered with Ultegra DI2 and they upgraded to Dura ace shifters and brakes at no extra charge. (national shortage of some parts)
Old 09-10-20, 11:55 AM
rfield54

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Razorrock
Not sure if you checked out the Litespeed Ultimate Gravel
That looks like a nice bike, and that's actually the first one I checked out. It turns out that I'll get a better price - which will include custom geometry and better wheels (IMO) - from Alchemy.