Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Humboldt Bay National Wildlife Refuge, 1985 League Fuji

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-20, 01:57 AM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts

Great afternoon. Great ride. Great destination.

The Humboldt Bay National Wildlife Refuge is south of Eureka, CA, on the inland shore of southern Humboldt Bay. It's a major rest stop for migratory birds, so the California Department of Fish & Wildlife maintains the flats as feeding grounds for geese and ducks and stuff. There's a bunch of nature trails, which you aren't supposed to ride on, and I didn't bring a lock, so I didn't explore them. Next time.

The old wooden building is a hunting cabin built in the 1920s-30s by a local hunt club. It can be rented, I think, although obviously not now.

The bike is my 1985 League Fuji. (Details here, if anyone's interested.)

it's about 6 1/2 miles from my house in Field's Landing to the Visitor's Center. Only one exit's worth of riding on US 101, then it's all flat, quiet backroads. (From Eureka, it's like 13 miles one way, and you're on 101 for about 4 of them.)

For those who care, the camera is an old Canon digital Rebel XT with a 50 mm f/1.8 lens. Set at ISO 400 and shot in shutter-priority mode at 1/400 second. (I'm getting some old 35mm cameras, so I'm practicing.)

Anyhow, a great ride on a great bike, hope y'all like it.

--Shannon

Visitor's Center, back deck, looking South

Front deck of the hunting cabin

Against the wall of the hunting cabin

Hunting cabin again

Obligatory hand-on-the-bar-while-riding shot

Up against a cool fence

Looking North across the meadow towards the Visitor's Center

Locked gate... :-(
Likes For ShannonM: