Old 04-22-15, 09:43 AM
BrockLee
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FAR Northern Cali Paved Trail?

Living about 2 hours from the Oregon border, it cracks me up how we all consider San Francisco to be Northern California. Sure, it's slightly to the North if you cut the state in half in the middle. But I say it's more like Central California. Anyway...

Anyone on this forum from Far Northern California? Shasta County? Siskiyou? Modoc? Etc?

Where's a good paved trail that's relatively flat where I can safely take my son, who has autism, riding?

:-)
Old 04-22-15, 06:10 PM
blt

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BrockLee
Living about 2 hours from the Oregon border, it cracks me up how we all consider San Francisco to be Northern California. Sure, it's slightly to the North if you cut the state in half in the middle. But I say it's more like Central California. Anyway...

Anyone on this forum from Far Northern California? Shasta County? Siskiyou? Modoc? Etc?

Where's a good paved trail that's relatively flat where I can safely take my son, who has autism, riding?

:-)
I'm not a person from far Northern California, but I play one on TV.

OK, not really, but I do an annual ride with a friend from Turtle Bay in Redding to Shasta Dam, mostly on paved trail.

If you want the flattest, least crowded part of that ride, do the portion that is the true Sacramento River Trail Trail. From Turtle Bay to the base of the Keswick Dam is Redding's Sacramento River Trail, it has a few gentle grades but especially closer to Turtle Bay has a lot of peds and on the north side some curvy spots.

Technically, the rail trail starts at the base of Keswick Dam, but the first 2.7 miles is crazy, with some really steep stuff, curvy, reverse cambered, you don't want that.

If you go the end of Rock Creek Road at Iron Mountain and start from there, it is a very nice flat trail, with occasional very gentle grade (although overall slightly uphill due to going up river), following the river up to the base of the dam, where there is a campground and a noisy off road vehicle recreation area. One old railroad tunnel to go through maybe 3 miles from the end. Not all that crowded, very few peds, mostly some bikes.

Last edited by blt; 04-23-15 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Wrote south when meant north
Old 04-22-15, 08:13 PM
Alleycatdad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We like the river trail in Redding, too; we try to go early or esp on weekdays to moderate the traffic. Your kid will likely enjoy the turtle bay museum as well. We generally start either at the dog park on the east end or at turtle bay itself and ride a loop or two, turning around at the keswick dam to avoid the stuff described above. There's one hill on the north side of the river that gets somewhat steep but it's short so can be easily walked if you need to. Lots of benches and scenic places to stop.

SA
Old 04-22-15, 10:48 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 2,501 Times in 1,045 Posts
If Fort Bragg is far enough north, there is a multi-use path known as the Haul Road at MacKericher State Park that starts just north of town and goes into the park. It runs more or less along the shore, so it is dead flat. The on-line brochure says that 2.7 miles of it have been removed for habitat restoration, so I have no clue how much of it is left. Here is the link to the brochure.

https://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/436/fi...Layout2014.pdf

I suggest calling the park itself to get more info. 707-937-5804. I haven't been there in literally decades, but it is a beautiful place (that cannot have changed) and there are seal-watching opportunities and other wildlife type stuff.

I hope this helps.
Old 04-22-15, 11:27 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Measuring distance in units of time? Referring to California with the name of a Columbian city? Are you sure you're in Norcal and not Socal? The next thing you know, you'll pluralize Sierra.

Anyhoo, there's some bike paths in the Tahoe area. Lake Tahoe Paved Bike Paths | Lake Tahoe Vacation Guide

There's also a few little things over in Chico. Chico Durham Bike Path | California Trails | TrailLink.com
Old 04-27-15, 10:26 PM
BrockLee
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I'm familiar with this one. My wife and I did the entire trail from Deistelhorst Bridge to the top of Shasta Dam about 30 days ago. It was tough, but rewarding. The inclines seem to hit at all the wrong times, but we felt like we achieved something after that ride. It was a difficult 35 miles. Descending back down the road from Shasta Dam was exhilarating.
Originally Posted by blt
Redding's Sacramento River Trail... Technically, the rail trail starts at the base of Keswick Dam, but the first 2.7 miles is crazy, with some really steep stuff, curvy, reverse cambered, you don't want that.
Old 04-27-15, 11:19 PM
gpelpel

Bikes: Time RXRS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Russian Gulch State Park, north of Mendocino, has a 2 mile in, 2 mile out trail that is a mix of pavement and dirt. Not very long, but flat and very safe if you son is young. It's also quite beautiful under the redwoods and ends at a water fall.