Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

First Time Commuting to Work on a Bike

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

First Time Commuting to Work on a Bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-15, 02:06 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
don't be surprised if your ride home takes a little longer than the ride in. safety first
Old 05-14-15, 04:38 PM
BrockLee
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm hoping the ride home is quicker. I'm taking a slightly different route home that includes a couple nice descents but also avoids the roads that commonly have lots of 5 o'clock traffic.
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
don't be surprised if your ride home takes a little longer than the ride in. safety first
Old 05-14-15, 05:05 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
One thing: A schoolbus will never move into opposing traffic to pass you. They just won't do it and the police will not respond to your protestations regardless of rule of law. They regard their cargo as more important than just about anything else. This is why they stop at RR crossings and why they stop both lanes of traffic even if they are picking up on only one side of the street. Kids are precious and a bus driver will never cross the median for any reason at all. And, even as a cyclist, I think this is correct. I'd time your route so you don't cross paths or you cross paths at a location convenient for everyone involved.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 05-15-15, 06:36 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

was the "open lane" in opposing traffic?

how was your first ride home?
Old 05-15-15, 10:08 AM
BrockLee
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Part 2: The Ride Home
It was pleasant. I was a bit faster on my ride home, but I also changed my route, taking into consideration high-traffic roads, inclines, and distance.
Without giving away my exact home address and work address (after all, a certain degree of anonymity is kinda nice hence my name "BrockLee") here's a Google Map of my route home.

For comparative purposes, here's a Google Map of my route to work yesterday morning.

And when I rode to work again this morning I took a slightly different route yet. Hey, I'm refining the trip and trying to figure out exactly which route is most efficient. This morning's route was definitely best so far, keeping me off major roads as much as possible. No school buses either!
Old 05-15-15, 10:09 AM
BrockLee
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes
was the "open lane" in opposing traffic?
Old 05-15-15, 10:11 AM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by baron von trail
Yes. I definitely wear the helmet.

It turned out that predicted 43 was really 45 by the time I left. So, I ended up just wearing the legs and a windbreaker. No gloves or hat needed. Went well.
I really like helmet lights, headlight and taillight... I use a Vis360+.. If I had just one light this would be it.

Originally Posted by BrockLee
OK, truth be told I had a few other bars stored in a desk drawer at work. I ate them also.

I carry a big bottle of water and I drink it constantly while at work. I definitely don't want to run out of steam on the ride home. My son, who has autism, is waiting for me to get back home because HE wants to go out on a bike ride with me.
SO COOL!
Old 05-15-15, 11:05 AM
YouthInAsia
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh, I also got honked at for the first time while commuting home last night. And it wasn't a "Hey there, cutie!" kind of honk. It was the "Get the hell out of the way!!!" kind. I had to go onto the road because a skateboarder was taking up all 24" of the bike lane and I couldn't go around on his right. I had veered onto the road plenty far ahead of the car, but they still thought I should get out of their way.
My new username is YouthInAsia. Same guy, different username.
Old 05-15-15, 11:21 AM
rumrunn6

looks like you have some mountain biking near you?
Old 05-15-15, 02:28 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

d. Though it was a nice cool morning, I still sweat. Tomorrow I'll leave the sweatshirt at home.
"Dress for the second mile"...
Old 05-15-15, 02:31 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla
Yes. Old school roadie wisdom applicable for the commute as well. If you're comfortable in the first ten minutes of the ride, you've overdressed.
Old 05-15-15, 02:35 PM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
glad to hear of the bike ride! congrats! hope to hear many more days. it will be hard at first not going to lie. maybe try like 3x a week (this is ambitious). be sure to stretch after your morning ride and after your afternoon ride. leaving 15 min sounds perfect for doing that. you need your body to stay limber so it's a good idea to take care of it!

sooner or later you'll be commuting everyday welcome to the addiction
Old 05-15-15, 03:51 PM
YouthInAsia
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, sorta. I really like it. But in this region the summer heat will force me to drive. Summers are far too brutal for me to ride 12 miles in and 12 miles out. And if I ride slower my wife won't be happy that I'm home so much later.
Originally Posted by snow_echo_NY
sooner or later you'll be commuting everyday...
Indeed! Unfortunately, I have no mountain bike. Downieville offers a great downhill every year and that's not far from me.
looks like you have some mountain biking near you?
This is wise advice. I'll have to remember that. I now have more than one sweatshirt in my office that I don't need in my office.
Originally Posted by rmfnla
Old 05-18-15, 08:08 AM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by YouthInAsia
Well, sorta. I really like it. But in this region the summer heat will force me to drive. Summers are far too brutal for me to ride 12 miles in and 12 miles out. And if I ride slower my wife won't be happy that I'm home so much later.
ah yes. extreme weather will do that. best of luck~
Old 05-29-15, 09:47 AM
YouthInAsia
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
One thing: A schoolbus will never move into opposing traffic to pass you. ...a bus driver will never cross the median for any reason at all.
This was proven untrue on my commute this morning. I had only a tiny 12" of shoulder to ride on, and I don't try squeezing myself onto a shoulder that small because some cars try to stay in the lane, and therefore drive too close to me. So I ride about 24" to the left of the white line. No motored conveyance with more than two wheels can squeeze past me without crossing the median.

And so it happened - A Special Ed. school bus, you know the short kind, crossed the median to give me room. :-)
Old 05-29-15, 09:56 AM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by YouthInAsia
This was proven untrue on my commute this morning. I had only a tiny 12" of shoulder to ride on, and I don't try squeezing myself onto a shoulder that small because some cars try to stay in the lane, and therefore drive too close to me. So I ride about 24" to the left of the white line. No motored conveyance with more than two wheels can squeeze past me without crossing the median.

And so it happened - A Special Ed. school bus, you know the short kind, crossed the median to give me room. :-)
Well, that bus is obviously a bit... slow...

In any case, don't count on schoolbuses giving you space.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter