Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which >2year roadies have never fallen off their bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Which >2year roadies have never fallen off their bike?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-05, 07:28 AM
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
None this year. One last year. My own dumb fault. Hit a curb wrong and went over.
Old 11-09-05, 07:37 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Mariner Fan
I had an unfortunette incident with my shoes not uncliping but I've never really crashed. Thank goodness.
I had the same unfortunate incident also, it's still a crash no matter how you look at it though. Crash=body hits the pavement or other hard immovable object. LOL In our case it probably caused more embarrassment than pain.

Tim
Old 11-09-05, 07:46 AM
woodcycl
Cycle for life...

Bikes: Trek 5200 | Cannondale Six13 TeamOne | Cannondale Road Tandem | Cannondale Prophet 3 "Lefty"

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've been riding 2k to 3.5k a year since 1990 and haven't crashed once ... man is this asking for trouble!!! However in 1991 when I first put my LOOK pedals on ... I fell over in a parking lot amongst a couple hundred other cyclists. So, not sure if that counts or not.
06' Cannondale Six13 TeamOne
06' Cannondale Prophet 3 "Lefty"
92' Trek 5200
Old 11-09-05, 07:47 AM
geneman
rider of small bicycles

Bikes: Cannondale

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
3 years of racing spread out over 13 years and thousands upon thousands of miles and I never had a serious fall until last Sunday. Busted pelvis from my front wheel slipping out on railroad tracks. The tracks cross the road at a precarious angle and I went down hard on my left hip.

(the white arrow indicates direction of travel on the road)

Mark
Old 11-09-05, 07:54 AM
alanbikehouston

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I don't think I have ever fallen off a bike. But, there are many times my bike has gone one direction and I have gone the other. Somehow, "falling" sounds like it might hurt less...I should try it.
Old 11-09-05, 08:16 AM
slide
Riding a bitsa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lisitsa
I was reading a motorcycle website saying that if you're on a motorcycle, you're bound to fall off sooner or later

[“you can be doing everything 100% correctly all the time and it only takes one idiot driver to take you out!”]

I was wondering how many cyclists have avoided the inevitable crash for more than 2 years? You have to be a pretty regular rider to vote!
B.S. I've been riding motorcycles for 40 years w/o a crash or being down on the road. I ride more often than I drive and have more bike miles than car/truck miles.

Offroad I've crashed more often than I can remember. Ditto bicycles.
Old 11-09-05, 08:19 AM
gcasillo
Maglia Ciclamino

Bikes: Bianchi Aria, Bianchi Volpe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm not saying it, because as soon as I say it, I'm going down hard. I have gone over the bars at a RR crossing, but amazing it wasn't serious. Wasn't going that fast, and I tumbled just right to minimize the damage. Bike was tip top. I had a few scrapes. Amazing.

There's two types of cyclists: those who have fallen and those who will.
Old 11-28-05, 05:19 PM
caligurl
OMG! i'm a DURT gurl!!!!

Bikes: 2007 specialized stumpjumper FSR expert, 2006 specialized ruby pro, 2004 specialized dolce elite, 2005 specialized hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well... considering i've only been riding a year and a half.... can't say that i haven't fallen... hubby knicknamed me "crash" for a while there!
Old 11-28-05, 05:46 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Does it count if you are drunk?... ah back in university I fell a few times because of that. Good times; stupid but still good times. As a kid I raced BMX so too many to count from that. Now I am still good for about 1 crash a year but mostly on the mnt bike. As I ride road more and more the crashes are way less often. And no, I have never tipped over from clipless pedals; ugly unclips, but never fell.
Old 11-28-05, 05:46 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Strictly speaking, I can say I haven't fallen off my bike. I was still firmly clipped in and grasping the bars while skidding across the pavement. Once on wet leaves, another on a fallen palm frond, and a third trying to catch a sheaf of papers I was trying to balance on m handlebars. All relatively low speed and no damage to the bike.
Old 11-28-05, 06:03 PM
Warblade
Beko = Touring God.

Bikes: Too many.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by geneman
3 years of racing spread out over 13 years and thousands upon thousands of miles and I never had a serious fall until last Sunday. Busted pelvis from my front wheel slipping out on railroad tracks. The tracks cross the road at a precarious angle and I went down hard on my left hip.

(the white arrow indicates direction of travel on the road)

Mark
Those are some NARLY tracks dude! (Not to memory: always go across tracks as straight as possible, especially if they are wet)

That time I crashed I was hit head on by some ignorant mountain biker going the opposite way. I was only going ~15mph, thank god. Didn't hurt to much...phew!
Old 11-29-05, 09:49 AM
geneman
rider of small bicycles

Bikes: Cannondale

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Warblade
Those are some NARLY tracks dude! (Not to memory: always go across tracks as straight as possible, especially if they are wet)

That time I crashed I was hit head on by some ignorant mountain biker going the opposite way. I was only going ~15mph, thank god. Didn't hurt to much...phew!

Tell me about it. I've been over them at least 100 times in all types of whether (even snow) and never fallen until 3 weeks ago. I guess my luck ran out.

Mark
Old 11-29-05, 10:13 AM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
I fell for the first time in about 6 years in March. I had just tightened up everything on my Ciocc and I guess I had not gotten used to the front brakes being so snug and it was late at night and I wasn't paying attention as well as I usually do when a pedestrian ran out into the street. I slammed on the brakes and the super-snug front brakes caused me to pitch forward. I didn't do an endo, I just kinda lost my balance and because it was icy, I went down on my hands. Rats. Nothing skinned up or anything, but I was embarrassed, especially because the guy who had ran out into the street was all like "Are you okay?" which for some reason made it worse, hehehe.

The nice thing was that when I mentioned it to my friends they were all surprised and didn't believe me at first. None of us could remember when I had last fallen off my bike. I think it was about 6 years or so, but I honestly don't remember.
Old 11-29-05, 10:18 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
In four years I have fallen over once and crashed twice.

I fell over when I was almost at a stand still, got my foot caught behind my front wheel. I will never have another bike with toe overlap!

My first crash was during the 2004 season. Had a nice chow (big dog) take me out. My second crash was earlier this season. Two riders directly in front of me locked handlebars. I didn't have time to do anything except run over one of them. Next thing I knew I was on the ground.

I have had countless mountain bike crashes as well, most of time those don't hurt too bad though.
Old 11-29-05, 10:28 AM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
Originally Posted by LowCel
In four years I have fallen over once and crashed twice.

I fell over when I was almost at a stand still, got my foot caught behind my front wheel. I will never have another bike with toe overlap!

My first crash was during the 2004 season. Had a nice chow (big dog) take me out. My second crash was earlier this season. Two riders directly in front of me locked handlebars. I didn't have time to do anything except run over one of them. Next thing I knew I was on the ground.

I have had countless mountain bike crashes as well, most of time those don't hurt too bad though.
Do you think you could update the photos of your Ti Crown Jewel? I'd love to see it but the photos in the link don't work. Nice mountain bikes, btw
Old 11-29-05, 10:38 AM
bvfrompc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With my first motorcycle I made it almost and hour and a half without crashing, my brand new $1,200 motorycycle became a $600 used cycle in 90 minutes with a dented gas tank and scratched pipes, etc. It was nother 8 years until I got run over from behind by a semi that the bike ever touched the ground. I always thought that first crash was a blessing, it tought me very quickly to repect the bike, now the semi I could do nothing about.

As a relative newbie with only 2k on the odometer, the R1000 is still spotless, the more I read about the tin can walls I fear that first one. Which is why I have taken up racing, to push fate and race as a Cat5.

Been mountain biking for 9 years and still fall one or twice an outing, roll with it and I have never been injured, well my ego, but never a bone or collar.
Old 11-29-05, 11:02 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
Do you think you could update the photos of your Ti Crown Jewel? I'd love to see it but the photos in the link don't work. Nice mountain bikes, btw
I just updated the picture on the original post. It is the same original picture. Unfortunately I don't have a current picture of it. It now has Speedplay zero pedals, campy record brakes, Specialized s-works carbon stem, and a new fizik aliante saddle. The original one was scraped up in the first crash but was ruined in the second crash. The only other damage to the bike is a scratch on the rear derailleur, a scratch on the right brake hood and a scrape on the right pedal.

I've parked this bike for a few months. I just purchased a new KHS Flite 500 to use as a winter / rain / trainer bike. Riding the KHS really makes me appreciate my IF.
Old 11-29-05, 11:10 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Originally Posted by thekid14
I recall one time about a year ago, I was out riding with my brother. We were doing a pretty mediocre 17-18 mph, when we approched a railroad. Now imagine the road was running north-south, there was a railroad track running SSSSSW-NNNNNE. In other words, very close to north south, but slightly slanted. My brother crossed the ruts safely before I did. However, I did not come at the track at a sharp enough angle, and my tire caughtin the rut. The next thing I knew, I was eating gravel. I cut my knee, elbow and hands up. That's my story.
Ha. I did the exact same thing. I was out of town and riding a road I didn't know. It was a divided highway. I slowed for the track crossing going out, which was nothing. Coming back on the other side of road, I thought there's no need to slow. I didn't see another set of tracks that merged at the angle you talked about. My front wheel caught and threw me over the bars. I landed on my butt and the momentum slammed by head backwards. My helmet spilt on impact.

Some of my more humorous crashes are:

Running over a cat

Hitting one of those bright orange plastic barrels that marks road construction - I was playing with my computer checking average speed and didn't see it

Hitting a pothole in a tight paceline. The leader never called it out. Everyone else went right or left and I hit it head on.
Old 11-29-05, 11:59 AM
CDR114

Bikes: Jamis Eclipse, Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the two years since I started riding again I have had four falls and one crash. All the falls were due to failure to exit clipless pedals. Once was due to a severe leg cramp while climbing a hill during a century ride. My leg cramped up so bad I could not unclip! Another time, my wife slammed on the brakes in front of me, I stopped but didn't get unclipped fast enough. Getting use to aerobars caused another failure to unclip while doing a slow, slow speed 180 (so slow, that I stopped!). The first fall,was the standard getting used to unclipping at a stop sign fall. My crash, this past June, while training for my first road race, I made a 90 degree turn onto a side road at speed (around 25 mph) and slid out hard on some sandy gravel (In full view of an Ohio State Highway Patrol Officer who was stopped on the other side of the intersection monitoring traffic, how embarassing!). I average about 120 miles per month. I do ride in the winter trying to do a short 10 miler at least once a week, but I do not go out on ice or snow.

In motorcycling, I crashed 5 times between 16 and 22 years old (first 30,000 miles). I stopped riding for
Old 11-29-05, 12:05 PM
Az B
Fattest Thin Man

Bikes: Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I haven't had a real crash since '84. I did have a chain break on me this year, but I was going uphill very slowly so I just kinda fell over since I didn't get my feet out fast enough. I was going less than 3 mph.

I've also been riding motorcycle since '76 and only had one real crash. My front tire slipped out from under me in a parking lot at about 10mph and the bike fell on my leg and broke it. I even raced professionally for a while and never had an incident.

However, I've been rear ended in my truck 5 times in 5 years and nearly got it again the day after Thanksgiving.

Az
Old 11-29-05, 04:19 PM
BryE
Señor Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I crashed only once in about 10 years of riding. I decided to turn a corner way too late to slow down for it, so I just slewed the handlebars over and took it wide. I would have made it, too, but my back wheel hit the bagwell and down I went. I ended up with my left arm nicely shredded around the elbow and some minor rash the length of my left leg. My bike was undamaged except for some scratches on my pedal, but I got blood all over my handlebar tape on the ride back home.
Old 11-29-05, 04:41 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
The last time I crashed was in 1965 on a balloon tire Schwinn when I was in the fifth grade. I was sprinting hard out of the saddle on an asphalt path in the neighborhood park when the chain snapped and I went over HARD. I hit the side of my head and went out very quickly. I came to at home about 15 to 20 minutes later after somebody got me home. I have no recollection of how I got there. My mom was an RN and she was watching me closely for hours after the incident. There was a bald spot on the side of my head where I crashed/scraped that took about a year to grow back. My bike was fine after getting a new chain.
Old 11-29-05, 05:57 PM
WD_40

Bikes: Kestrel Talon, Trek 1200, Specialized Rockhopper FSR, Specialized Enduro Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I crashed my new road bike the very first day I took it out. Less than 5 minutes from leaving my house, actually.

I had been commuting on a POS Schwinn MTB with slick tires and had just replaced it with a Trek 1200. I took a turn at about 20mph and slipped out in a puddle of water. Went down on my right knee and then bounced over the bike onto my left shoulder. Luckily didn't end up in oncoming traffic, but I got close.
Old 11-29-05, 06:02 PM
pseudobrit
1.9lb/in

Bikes: LeMond, CAAD9/1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you ain't bleedin' you ain't tryin'.
Old 11-29-05, 07:43 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
My 'crash' this year happened when crossing a boardwalk over a marsh on the O&E towpath. It was crowded with peds but, like a dummy, I decided I needed a drink. While taking a pull from my bottle, a kid ran out in front of me, causing me to swerve into the wooden guard rail to avoid him. My water bottle went flying into the marsh and I got some wood-rash on my leg and arm. A rather large snapping turtle convinced me that he wanted my water bottle more than I did. That was my first crash in about 10 years, I'll take it.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey