Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

rechasing stripped bottom bracket

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-15, 09:21 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts

just started volunteering at a bike exchange near me at the Boys/Girls club

someone donated a 1996 Cannondale SR500 (the purple one with a headshok) but it has stripped threads on the non-drive side of the bottom bracket

Should I attempt to rechase the threads using steel cups? We don't have chasing tools so that may be my only option.

Fine with just dumping the frame, but if I can get it back to a safe riding condition, the bike may bring $200-300 to the club
Old 01-12-15, 09:27 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,420 Posts
Chasing can correct damaged threads, such as when there was some cross-threading. But it can't magically restore metal that's not there in a stripped thread. If it's truly stripped, such that it can't hold a cup, then the only option is tapping bigger. BITD it was common to convert stripped 1.37" BSC bottom brackets to Italian it involves real tools, and is rarely done anymore.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 01-12-15, 09:58 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The Proper BB thread cutting tool is special to bicycle Manufacturing . it has a Guide pin so both threads are in alignment precisely.. Park Tool Co. » BTS-1 : Bottom Bracket Tapping & Facing Set : Frame & Fork Tools
(as a Charity with valid 501c3 status you may be able to offer a Tax write down to a Bike shops Business accounting , to get the Shop to do the work with the proper tool.)

A BB which does Not Use the threads was made and is sold by Velo Orange Grand Cru Threadless Bottom Bracket - Bottom Brackets - Components

on the cheap and not fixing the problem .. but making it function.. the shimano UN type BB with a plastic Left sleeve at least wont make things worse ..

an Epoxy filler, cured. then cut with the BB tap, may replace lost metal somewhat .. [JB weld has aluminum, Powdered, in its resin Portion]
at least disclose the damage and be willing sell the bike, with that information, for Less .

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-12-15 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-12-15, 10:05 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
The Velo Orange option is the best in your circumstance if the threads are stripped, but you need to make sure you get the proper length. If damaged or cross threaded a cup is not at all the proper tool. Have a bike shop chase the threads with a tap.
Old 01-12-15, 10:30 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
the VO option appears to be the ideal option, but I'm sure there are no funds available to go that route

The previous owner did use the epoxy UN cup option, but should I try it again? Safety is my primary concern, even if we disclose it as a known issue.

I'll also check with some LBS for opinions on rechasing feasibility and the non-profit write off (that's a great idea Bob)
Old 01-12-15, 10:38 AM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i can't see any downside, IMO, to just trying it. it may or may not work is all.

but i would be compelled to tell a potential buyer what i had done, and so wouldn't hold out much hope of selling it at the price mentioned. i say that becuase, recently i have purchased a couple of nice new bare frames that, IMO, are every bit as good at 89 a piece.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 01-12-15 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-12-15, 10:45 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Originally Posted by qclabrat
the VO option appears to be the ideal option, but I'm sure there are no funds available to go that route

The previous owner did use the epoxy UN cup option, but should I try it again? Safety is my primary concern, even if we disclose it as a known issue.

I'll also check with some LBS for opinions on rechasing feasibility and the non-profit write off (that's a great idea Bob)
Seems the cost of the Velo Orange would be recouped when selling the bike, same with clearing out threads. You do realize it's one or the other, correct? Non-profit deduction? Has to be 501c3 organization. Disclosed or not, I don't like the idea of epoxy.
Old 01-12-15, 11:58 AM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
I really don't like the threadless 'problem solver' type BBs. They put enormous tension on the BB shell. Since the NDS threads aren't required for torquing the BB cartridge laterally against the BB face (that cup simply there to center the cartridge along its axis), I'd prefer to have a shop chase the threads (and the DS threads while they're at it) and then install a Shimano UN55 cartridge for $25. Since the DS threads are fine, the unit should be very reliable.
Old 01-12-15, 12:41 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

AGAIN, it's not clear yet whether the threads are in good enough shape to be chased and reused. The OP is taking it to a shop to determine that. If they are stripped out then there are no threads to chase. As far as the "enormous tension," the BB shell is by far the beefiest part of the frame, so the compression tension on it from such a BB is relatively minor
Old 01-12-15, 12:58 PM
RoadGuy

Bikes: 89 Schwinn 754, 90 Trek 1100, 93 Trek 2300, 94 Trek 1400 (under construction), 94 Trek 930, 97 Trek 1400

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If here are no funds available to pay for shop labor or replacement parts, I'd consider selling it As-Is, as a frameset with the notice that it has a problem with the bottom bracket, needs professional repair (to by paid for by the Buyer), AND the agreement that the cost of the frame would be refundable with a written letter from a shop stating that the frame had been inspected, could not be repaired.

That way the Coop still gains a little money, the frame is saved if possible, and the Buyer knows exactly what he/she is getting.
Old 01-12-15, 01:03 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by RoadGuy
If here are no funds available to pay for shop labor or replacement parts, I'd consider selling it As-Is, as a frameset with the notice that it has a problem with the bottom bracket, needs professional repair (to by paid for by the Buyer), AND the agreement that the cost of the frame would be refundable with a written letter from a shop stating that the frame had been inspected, could not be repaired.

That way the Coop still gains a little money, the frame is saved if possible, and the Buyer knows exactly what he/she is getting.
This isn't a bad approach, though the parts on it might be worth more than the damaged frame would fetch. IME most co-ops have more frames than parts to build bikes and are routinely cannibalizing bikes to build 2 out of 3 with the extra frame going to the scrap man. If that's the case with this co-op, declaring it to be an organ donor may be the smartest move all things considered.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 07-21-16, 07:18 PM
pgoat
Batüwü Griekgriek

Bikes: 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2005 Cannondale R1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can someone tell me what the typical cost is to re-chase one side of a shell? And is that something most shops can do? Or do I need to find a frame builder?

I just found I broke my fixed cup (Drive side) - it sheared along the outer cup threads. I tried threading the cup back in and it feels a bit rough...I think it looks like it's screwing in cock-eyed, but hard to tell. A new cup might work fine, or I may have stripped the shell threads a bit (I rode it a few days with the fixed cup working its way out a couple of turns).

It's an old 501 reynolds steel frame, I was going to look for a bargain parts bin cup at the shop and failing that just pick up a cheap sealed Shimano BB. This is just an old 80s bike I use for commuting and street lock up so I want to keep costs down...
Old 07-21-16, 08:51 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26400 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts
...those Cannondale headshocks are quite notorious for failure in their own right, and Cannondale stopped supporting them.

Don't toss good money/effort into this bike, just pull and sell the components as a group, and recycle it for beer cans.
Old 07-21-16, 08:54 PM
2lo8

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well this is a bit of a necro, but you can rebuild threads and add material that was removed with products like form-a-thread. At the very least it's probably stronger than plastic cups on some cartridge BBs.
Old 07-21-16, 09:02 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by pgoat
Can someone tell me what the typical cost is to re-chase one side of a shell? And is that something most shops can do? Or do I need to find a frame builder?

I just found I broke my fixed cup (Drive side) - it sheared along the outer cup threads. I tried threading the cup back in and it feels a bit rough...I think it looks like it's screwing in cock-eyed, but hard to tell. A new cup might work fine, or I may have stripped the shell threads a bit (I rode it a few days with the fixed cup working its way out a couple of turns).

It's an old 501 reynolds steel frame, I was going to look for a bargain parts bin cup at the shop and failing that just pick up a cheap sealed Shimano BB. This is just an old 80s bike I use for commuting and street lock up so I want to keep costs down...
Both the price and the capabilities related to this vary tremendous within the city limits. Plus there's little correlation between the mechanic skill set and price charged.

If you've removed the cup already and have not cross threaded a replacement cup, it's a straightforward job which shouldn't cost much at all, and probably isn't necessary anyway.

OTOH if it's now cross threaded thanks to your earlier efforts, it my be much more complicated, and I won't venture a guess without seeing it.

I know a large percentage of NYC dealers (4 boroughs) and might be able to refer you to someone good if you send me a PM telling me where you live.

Old 07-21-16, 09:07 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
Originally Posted by pgoat

Loose ball cups can crack around the ball track after many miles of abuse, and an incorrectly adjusted Bb is abuse. The ones I usually see can be unthreaded from the shell with standard cup tools. Rarely the cup's end will completely separate from the threaded portion. The shell's threads are usually not badly harmed.

The cup will become distorted after cracking, the end will look cocked WRT the threaded portion. Trying to reuse or even reinstall a cracked cup is bad decision making.

When chasing a BB shell threads it is very important to maintain the shell's sides' coaxialness. So only chasing one side without the other side's tap in place, and support the pilot shaft, is another example of poor decision making. If a shop or builder is willing to only run one side's tap through the shell then question their experience. It is very easy with such a large diameter but fine pitch tap to miss align the threads and cut across the OEM threads. Andy.
Old 07-21-16, 10:14 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26400 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts
Originally Posted by 2lo8
Well this is a bit of a necro, ...
...I gotta remember to read the dates on these things.
Old 07-22-16, 04:33 AM
pgoat
Batüwü Griekgriek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Assuming my BB shell threads are okay, I was looking at a Shimano UN with plastic cup, to keep costs down:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=AMY4I718ZUBOU

or, if the threads are shot, rather than pay a shop to mess with it (which may not work anyway) and a new BB...any opinions on how well these work?

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/bottom-b...reads/?geoc=US
Old 07-22-16, 04:40 AM
pgoat
Batüwü Griekgriek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Loose ball cups can crack around the ball track after many miles of abuse, and an incorrectly adjusted Bb is abuse. The ones I usually see can be unthreaded from the shell with standard cup tools. Rarely the cup's end will completely separate from the threaded portion. The shell's threads are usually not badly harmed.

Thanks for this info, Andy, and I hope you're right - visually the threads look bit shallower to me, but they might still have enough bite for a new BB. I can only guess that I cross-threaded the cup the last time I o/h the BB (about three months ago). Idk how that happened, I've done this a zillion times on a variety of bikes with different cups and tools and never had an issue before. Maybe I was rushing or distracted that day, idk.

The cup will become distorted after cracking, the end will look cocked WRT the threaded portion. Trying to reuse or even reinstall a cracked cup is bad decision making.

I realize what I saw as cockeyed screwing the old broken cup back in was at least partially due to the flange of the cup being off-kilter. But I think the resistance I felt and some wonky movement tells me there's some BB shell damage also. I only screwed the old cup in until it felt rough, then backed out and removed it. I sprayed the shell with WD40 first and wiped it down as best I could.

When chasing a BB shell threads it is very important to maintain the shell's sides' coaxialness. So only chasing one side without the other side's tap in place, and support the pilot shaft, is another example of poor decision making. If a shop or builder is willing to only run one side's tap through the shell then question their experience. It is very easy with such a large diameter but fine pitch tap to miss align the threads and cut across the OEM threads. Andy.
Because this is an old beater, Idk if I want to pay top dollar for the job done right, and I certainly don't want to pay for poor work at all. If the shell threads are good, I'd toss a cheap new BB in...otherwise, I reckon I'll move on to another beater.
Old 07-22-16, 01:19 PM
pgoat
Batüwü Griekgriek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Happy to say my go-to shop here had an old fixed cup they gave me for free. I bought some new loose bearings and am gonna see how she looks after dinner tonight...fingers crossed the frame is okay.
Old 08-02-16, 01:24 PM
pgoat
Batüwü Griekgriek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally had a second to follow up - the fixed cup they gave me fit just fine; after cleaning up the cup and inside of the BB shell I found the frame's threads were noticeably worn near the outer edge. But I took care to screw in the cup straight and used a little teflon tape on the cup's threads, and it went in good and snug. After a few weeks of commuting, no problems, I'm happy to say.
Old 08-02-16, 01:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The Other real Solution is Brass , you Lose the paint job

but by Thoroughly cleaning the Inside of the BB shell , and brazing in metal where the threads are gone

then Re threading the now Brass lined steel BB shell

and repainting it , it will be quite serviceable Again ..

If you have to ask ''Is it worth it?", then, no , It probably Isn't.