Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Two people on top of a hill?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Two people on top of a hill?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-17, 11:15 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
You keep garbage in the house overnight? Eeew!
Windows and catapults, my friend.
Old 05-22-17, 11:26 AM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hsuehhwa
Gravity (g = 9.81 m/sec2) is really the same for heavier and lighter riders. At high speed descent, lighter riders tend to experience a higher wind resistance (per unit weight). As a result, "net acceleration" going downhills (gravity - impact of wind resistance per unit weight) favors the heavier riders.
F = G * ((m1 * m2)/r^2)

G is constant, distance from the center of the earth (r) is the same, and unless a huge amount meteors strike between the two riders setting off, the mass of the earth isn't going to change. The gravitational constant won't change. The heaver rider in the OP's example will have more force applied. 1 + (0.673x10-24) times as much, I think. Not at all an insignificant amount if the rider already has shaved legs and an aero stem on their bike. The ratio shouldn't change much as they descend, but the force will (at least until they reach the center of the earth), so the force difference gets even bigger. By bigger, I do mean really, really, really small but relatively larger...

I'm sure, given enough computing power we can figure out how much more the bigger rider affected the earth's orbit climbing the hill in the first place than the lighter one.

I may or may not be torturing Newton a bit here, and I probably made an arithmetic error somewhere.
Old 05-22-17, 11:26 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
With all that yakety-yak you could have easily answered the question in layman's terms in half the space.
It's tough to decide how much to allow the answer to be wrong, in the interest of clarity for laymen.

For example even in this discussion, which granted should be simple and correct in layman's terms, people have explained the factors of weight and wind resistance, but no one has mentioned the effect which is likely the larger part of heavier guys going faster down the bigger hills. More than the greater acceleration of the bike; it's the greater terminal velocity that will make more difference. The top speed we will attain coasting depends on weight and drag. Acceleration is how fast we get to that speed.

I don't know why you attack his second paragraph, answering his question, as yakety-yak. The first maybe, I won't comment, but the second was OK IMO.
Old 05-22-17, 11:49 AM
hsuehhwa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kc0bbq
F = G * ((m1 * m2)/r^2)

G is constant, distance from the center of the earth (r) is the same, and unless a huge amount meteors strike between the two riders setting off, the mass of the earth isn't going to change. The gravitational constant won't change. The heaver rider in the OP's example will have more force applied. 1 + (0.673x10-24) times as much, I think. Not at all an insignificant amount if the rider already has shaved legs and an aero stem on their bike. The ratio shouldn't change much as they descend, but the force will (at least until they reach the center of the earth), so the force difference gets even bigger. By bigger, I do mean really, really, really small but relatively larger...

I'm sure, given enough computing power we can figure out how much more the bigger rider affected the earth's orbit climbing the hill in the first place than the lighter one.

I may or may not be torturing Newton a bit here, and I probably made an arithmetic error somewhere.

Lol

Stoke's Law (usually used for particle settling velocity in viscous liquid) can also be somewhat applied here.

Terminal Velocity is proportional to R (radius)^2

Bigger riders (assume all other factors are the same, such as density, aerodynamic position...) will likely to reach a higher terminal velocity than smaller riders.
Old 05-22-17, 11:52 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by redfooj
do u have ceramic(speed) bearings?
No, but I got brass balls.
Old 05-22-17, 01:20 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
What about the increased friction and tire deflection for the heavier rider?

Also, what if we ask the question "who reaches the bottom first?"
Old 05-22-17, 01:53 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kc0bbq
Apparently gravity sucks the fun out of everything during these seriously deep and important physics lectures.

What the 41 needs is more charts and graphs and vector analysis and calculations of normal forces.
Asked and answered: What Determines Speed on Downhills?
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 05-22-17, 02:53 PM
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria

Bikes: N+3 dependents

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by buddy
Two people on top of a hill...
Wait, is there lightning?
Old 05-22-17, 03:09 PM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Okay you have two people on top of a hill on identical bikes. One person weights 100 lbs while the other weights 200 lbs. If all things were equal and they costed down the hill would they both go the same speed?

If they both exerted the same amount of energy would they go the same speed?

Why is it when I am going down hill with my 200 lbs it appears I am going faster than everyone else?
Do the bowling ball and feather experiment in a vacuum and then not in a vacuum.

They only fall at the same speed in a vacuum.

So put the 2 riders in a vacuum at the top of the hill. Give the big rider the bowling ball and the smaller rider the feather. Then let them cost down. They will cost at the same speed until they pass out from lack of oxygen and loss control of the bicycles. Also their heads might asplode in a vacuum.

Science is fun, but dangerous sometimes. Can't be helped.

Last edited by andr0id; 05-22-17 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-22-17, 03:14 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by hsuehhwa
Going downhill: F (force) = m (mass) x g (gravity) - Wind Resistance
Times the Sin of the angle of the road. I am leaving units out.

So a 5% grade = 5 down for every 100 run.
The Sin is that 5/the actual distance, which is almost the 100 (which works for 99% of the cases) but exactly 5/(5^2+100^2)^.5 or the Square Root of 10,025 = 5/100.12. Or .04993.
Multiply that by mass and gravity where you are ~9.8 and you get the force pushing you on the road.
It is proportional to mass. The more massive rider will have a wee bit more friction and more aero resistance in total. But the increased force makes up for it.
Old 05-22-17, 03:17 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy
What about the increased friction and tire deflection for the heavier rider?

Also, what if we ask the question "who reaches the bottom first?"
But what if there's a McDonald's on the way down the hill and they're having a sale on fries? Skinny rider gets to the bottom of the hill first every time.
Old 05-22-17, 03:25 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Times the Sin of the angle of the road. I am leaving units out.

So a 5% grade = 5 down for every 100 run.
The Sin is that 5/the actual distance, which is almost the 100 (which works for 99% of the cases) but exactly 5/(5^2+100^2)^.5 or the Square Root of 10,025 = 5/100.12. Or .04993.
Multiply that by mass and gravity where you are ~9.8 and you get the force pushing you on the road.
It is proportional to mass. The more massive rider will have a wee bit more friction and more aero resistance in total. But the increased force makes up for it.
Not exactly. How often do I say that to you?

If it weren't for the wind resistance (and friction), you would never have to consider the mass and resultant force. Acceleration from gravity alone would define the situation and all masses would descend at the same rate. You only have to calculate the force in order to subtract the force of the wind (and that small amount of friction again) from it. Then when you divide this net downward force by the rider/bike mass, you get the actual net operating acceleration. That determines the speed after a time. So it is more like knowing the net force, you divide by mass to get the net acceleration, not so much that you find the force by multiplying acceleration by the mass.

Of course the descending angular effect on the acceleration is a given.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 05-22-17, 03:43 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Of course it was not exact. I didn't even give units. I gave only the component of force from gravity making the rider go. The wind resistance does not care about the grade. A very wee bit the friction does care as there is less force on the bearings the steeper the grade.
Old 05-23-17, 06:05 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
But what if there's a McDonald's on the way down the hill and they're having a sale on fries? Skinny rider gets to the bottom of the hill first every time.
Totally, absolutely wrong. What if the fatter guy has a giant non-aerodynamic beard and is more into avocado toast and beer rather than fries? Oh, and they're both on fixies?
Old 05-23-17, 06:23 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
In your "all things being equal" consideration...does that include identical tires, and equal inflation, on all bikes?
One thing that I didn't see any of the egghead formulas include is rolling resistance of the tires involved.

Bicycle Rolling Resistance | Rolling Resistance Tests

Dan
Old 05-23-17, 06:26 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
In your "all things being equal" consideration...does that include identical tires, and equal inflation, on all bikes?
One thing that I didn't see any of the egghead formulas include is rolling resistance of the tires involved.

Dan
All things equal means just that. Everything except rider weight and the resultant physique difference. Folks can't understand it in the simplest form. Why would you want to make it more complicated?

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 05-23-17, 08:07 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_

Dan
In the Op's example (200lb rider vs 100lb rider) the weight of the rider trumps tire rolling resistance by a very wide margin, same for bearing friction etc.

I'll leave it to our geek friends to give you the numbers, but real world observation easily confirms this.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-23-17, 08:08 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
And if you want to see something go down hill fast, follow us, 350lb tandem team with pretty good aero position. We fall like a rock.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-23-17, 08:34 AM
hsuehhwa

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
And if you want to see something go down hill fast, follow us, 350lb tandem team with pretty good aero position. We fall like a rock.

Old 05-23-17, 09:00 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 942 Posts
Originally Posted by kansukee
Gravity.
Aerodynamics.
Old 05-23-17, 09:05 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 942 Posts
If they both exerted the same amount of energy would they go the same speed?
They don't exert the same energy. The energy is proportional to the weight. They exert the same energy per pound.

So, a 200 lb person is providing 2 times the energy as the 100 lb person (this is important).

Why is it when I am going down hill with my 200 lbs it appears I am going faster than everyone else?
If there was no air (and no friction), they would both go down the hill at the same speed (what you are expecting). This is because the speed is related to the energy per pound (which is the same for both).

In air, some energy has to be spent in moving the air away (air resistance) (this is the missing piece). You know that a more streamlined car uses less gas (energy).

As it happens, the 200 lb person and the 100 lb person have nearly the same aerodynamic shape*.

That means the energy taken away by air resistance is the same for both people.

Since the 200 lb person has twice the energy, he has more energy left over after the energy loss due to air resistance (which is the same for both). Which means the 200 lb person is faster down hill (because he has more energy left over to move him).

(After taking the loss energy due to air resistance, the energy/pound available for moving is larger for the 200 lb person.)

* The aerodynamics of the 200 lb person might be worse but it's not different enough to matter.

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-23-17 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-23-17, 11:25 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh

For me, going faster on descents because of size is simply confirmation that God loves me and is pleased with me for hauling my fat butt up the hills...

For Taylor Phinney, it is the karma compensation for the injustice of being a prodigy junior racer and growing to over 6'-5".
Old 05-23-17, 11:58 AM
Masque

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, 2011 and 2017

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are we talking about a name-brand hill that has been wind tunnel tested, or an open frame hill sourced from a questionable factory?
Old 05-23-17, 12:48 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
I took physics in middle school. Don't everyone?
But you skipped English?
Old 05-23-17, 12:49 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
But you skipped English?
Got me there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.