Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

New York to Philadelphia

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

New York to Philadelphia

Old 06-22-18, 12:10 PM
Ferdinand NYC

Bikes: Giant road bike

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
New York to Philadelphia

I have ridden from New York to Philadelphia three times, and done it round-trip twice. Next week I will be trying to do it again. The plan is to ride down on Wednesday and then back home the following Monday.

The first couple of times I rode to Philly I made it very hard for myself. I rode all the way up to the George Washington Bridge, and then took a largely rural route involving County Route 535 between Sayreville and Trenton. The resulting route was nearly 120 miles.

Last year I made two better choices. First, I took the ferry from downtown Manhattan to Jersey City. Second, I rode on State Route 27 from Newark to Princeton, and then on a street that parallelled U.S. 206 from Princeton to Trenton. Doing it this way I rode mainly through cities, which is my preferred environment. This route was about 95 miles.

It is this latter route that I will follow on the upcoming trip. A picture is attached.

I have tried to select the hottest days, because those are the days on which I feel strongest. I hope the weather cooperates.

Wish me luck — because the hotel is non-refundable!
Old 06-22-18, 12:22 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,489 Times in 7,316 Posts
Can't zoom in to see the details of the route.
Old 06-23-18, 05:44 PM
Ferdinand NYC

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The picture wasn't really meant to be zoomable, because I already mentioned Route 27 and the street that is parallel to U.S. 206.

But, for more detail, here is the link to the route at Ride with GPS:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27861041
Old 06-23-18, 05:54 PM
Jarrettsin

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX7.4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Enjoy the Ride
Old 06-23-18, 07:33 PM
Ferdinand NYC

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thank you! Let's hope all goes well.

I'll have four days to groove around in the city before coming back on Monday.
Old 06-23-18, 10:30 PM
mcdull215

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, if your hotel is actually on Grant Avenue, then it's only 4 miles away from me. It would be cool if we could meet. Hoping to do my trip in the opposite direction soon.
My route is really different from the one you will be using. Nonetheless, I wish you the best.
Old 06-24-18, 03:47 PM
Ferdinand NYC

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks.

Maybe we can hook up down there.

I imagine that you will post your route in the other thread.
Old 06-25-18, 08:38 AM
davlafont
No newbie

Bikes: 2001 Specialized Expedition Sport | 1972 Raleigh Sprite 27 | 1973 Raleigh Super Course | 1984 Trek 720 | 2019 Cannondale SuperX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Best wishes on the ride! I look forward to the trip log, preferably in this thread.
Old 06-25-18, 11:19 AM
indyfabz

Stay hydrated. It's supposed to be in the mid to upper 90s later in the week and through the weekend. I am headed to Texas on Friday for a family reunion.
Old 06-25-18, 08:53 PM
Ferdinand NYC

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I hope it will be that temperature! I love days like that. I groove on hot weather; I have been lucky enough to get hot days on all of my previous trips to Philly.

I do indeed always have plenty to drink. And I sometimes carry cucumbers with me.
Old 06-26-18, 12:59 PM
indyfabz

Real feel of over 100 on Sunday.
Old 06-26-18, 06:29 PM
Ferdinand NYC

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Bring it on, baby! I am looking forward to it.
Old 06-27-18, 02:53 PM
Ferdinand NYC

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I successfully made it to Philadelphia! Travel time door to door was 11.5 hours; my odometer recorded actual moving time of 9.5 hours.

The first thing I noticed leaving home at 4:15am was how much I enjoyed leaving while it was still dark out. Getting out before the sunrise is such a psychological boon; it gives the impression that you have the jump on the day. (This is why those periods at the beginning and the end of Daylight Saving Time are so cool, because I can leave for work well after 7am and still feel like I am leaving early rather than having the feeling of being one step behind.) This gave me an extra boost of mental energy right at the beginning of the trip.

The other thing that impressed me was how good a bike road Route 27 is. For much of its run south of Colonia, it has a shoulder of some kind. In some places the shoulder is wide enough to keep the car lanes to a single one in each direction.

And this leads me to my next observation. There were a few sections of Route 27 where I was shocked to see a posted speed limit of 45 or even 50. Yet the cars were doing no more than 25 miles per hour. I contrast this with a horrible street out on Long Island called Old Country Road, which has two or three lanes in each direction, and no shoulder whatsoever. Its speed limit is 40; but drivers go a lot faster. This is because, when drivers see several lanes and no shoulder, they get into the mindset of driving on a highway. By contrast, when they see one lane with a wide shoulder (sometimes used by bicyclists), they get visual signals that they are to behave in a civilised fashion.

The entire route was mostly pleasant; the only truly unpleasant section was the one that has been discussed in other threads: the connection between Jersey City and Newark especially the bridge connecting Kearny and Newark. And I am sorry to report that Newatk's Doremus Avenue was particularly aromatic today; the smell of sewage was uncommonly strong.

The only other slightly difficult part was finally hitting hills in Bucks County after not having dealt with them for the first 70 miles of of the ride. But they were manageable.

And I was thrilled to see that the bike lane on Academy Road has been repainted.

Anyway, now it's time to get some lunch, to take a shower, and to go to bed. I got up at 1:30am this morning to shave, shower, and pack. So it's nighttime for me. Nighty-night!

Last edited by Ferdinand NYC; 07-05-18 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-27-18, 04:58 PM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Doremus Avenue was particularly aromatic today; the smell of sewage was uncommonly strong.
Jersey smell bad Nooooo LMAO
Excellent ride and report sound like it came off just as planned
Old 06-28-18, 04:25 PM
StefanieB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fantastic ride. Route 27 was the way to go !!
Old 06-28-18, 09:06 PM
Ferdinand NYC

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Yes, indeed.
I did 46 miles within the city on Thursday, after having gotten a late start because of rain in the morning. I am really looking forward to the hot weather coming the next couple of days.

Last edited by Ferdinand NYC; 06-29-18 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-29-18, 06:42 PM
Ferdinand NYC

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I had another great day on Friday, doing 41 miles in the beautiful weather. I left the city limits to the north (Cheltenham) and to the east (Bensalem).
But I am beginning to think that the people of Philadelphia are a tad confused about the origin of pizza. In my travels around the city I have passed by one pizzeria called Old London, another called New London, yet another called England Pizza, and no fewer than four by the name of Old English!

What is going on here?? Have Philadelphians got pizza confused with bangers and mash?

Old 06-30-18, 11:14 AM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Did you try any of the pizza? You are getting the weather you like!
Old 06-30-18, 07:24 PM
Ferdinand NYC

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrettsin
Did you try any of the pizza?
Sadly, I did not. I actually haven't had pizza in more than seven years. It was one of the many foods that I just had to give up in order to help me lose some weight. But I do wonder about this obsession with the English.

You are getting the weather you like!
I sure am! Today it was a glorious 97 degrees. I rode 41 miles for the second day in a row, after having ridden 46 miles on Thursday. Tomorrow will probably be a relatively short day, as I prepare for the 90-plus-mile ride home on Monday. The forecast for both upcoming days looks magnificent.

I have to say that Philadelphia is like a bicycling wonderland. The Northeast alone, which many people would probably not even consider when thinking about Philly, is magnificent. And, to anyone who is accustomed to the rudeness of New Yorkers, as I am, all other people seem polite by comparison. I experienced any number of examples of drivers heeding my hand signals in ways that they never do back home. And the way that the drivers down here stop at stop signs is very different to what I see in my hometown. I noticed also that the red-light periods are a lot shorter here than they are in New York. This is a policy that New York should definitely try, because the shorter periods seem to alleviate tensions.

Last edited by Ferdinand NYC; 07-01-18 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-02-18, 08:32 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Ferdinand NYC
Sadly, I did not. I actually haven't had pizza in more than seven years. It was one of the many foods that I just had to give up in order to help me lose some weight. But I do wonder about this obsession with the English.

Wish I would tell you. A few blocks from where I grew up there was a New London pizza/hoagie place. Back then, many of them were Greek-owned like virtually all of the hotdog carts were. It's quite possible that they simply copied names from each. And since they were Greek, they would never pay homage to Italians.

It the hotdog cart world, an owner would work the cart, sneak cash back to Greece every summer and eventually retire back there. When he did, he would either sell the business to someone in Greece, who would them come to the U.S. and run it, or the kids would take it over. Wouldn't be surprised if it worked the same way in the pizza shop business.
Old 07-02-18, 06:09 PM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Well he should be doing the ride home today and it was like a "pizza oven" out there today! he got the weather he wanted.
Hope all went well.
Old 07-02-18, 07:16 PM
Ferdinand NYC

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Wish I would tell you. A few blocks from where I grew up there was a New London pizza/hoagie place. Back then, many of them were Greek-owned like virtually all of the hotdog carts were. It's quite possible that they simply copied names from each. And since they were Greek, they would never pay homage to Italians.

It the hotdog cart world, an owner would work the cart, sneak cash back to Greece every summer and eventually retire back there. When he did, he would either sell the business to someone in Greece, who would them come to the U.S. and run it, or the kids would take it over. Wouldn't be surprised if it worked the same way in the pizza shop business.
Wow! That is danged fascinating! I wouldn't be surprised if that was exactly the reason for this strange phenomenon.

Well he should be doing the ride home today and it was like a "pizza oven" out there today! he got the weather he wanted.
Hope all went well.
A successful arrival back home! It was another 93 miles; but, unfortunately, I cannot report on the riding time because my odometer for some reason went nuts and reset itself.
The door-to-door time was a little bit longer than the trip down, because I was carrying a few extra things (some food that I bought, stupidly; a couple of articles of clothing that I bought; and a few layers that I had been wearing on the relatively cool trip down but did not need during the hot trip back). So my bags were heavier than they had been. They were heavy enough to make my back hurt, causing me to have to stop a couple of times just to take the bags off. I do have saddlebags; and I loaded those up, as well. But, still, there was enough in the bags around my back to give me a bit of a pain.

But the weather was perfect. When I am king, it's going to be like this every day.

One thing that I did differently on my way back was to avoid the hills of Hulmeville. I went through Levittown instead, taking New Falls Road instead of Trenton Road up to Tyburn Road. That was much better.

I will also admit that I noticed the hills on Route 27 more coming back then going down. This is probably the result of my having done plenty of riding for five straight days, as well as the result of my being an old guy (soon to be 53).

I am sorry that I did not get a chance to hook up with Jarett. To be perfectly honest, it slipped my mind. I was so focussed on the geography, and on visiting various places, and then on reviewing the map at night, while eating my dinner and doing some reading and some podcast listening, that I just didn't give a thought to anything else.

My celebrations upon reaching New York were tempered by my immediate notice of lack of respect on the part of drivers, as well as the constant lawbreaking that we see here both from drivers and from bicyclists. Please note that I am not making a statement of equivalency. Drivers' lawbreaking is deadly; bicyclists' lawbreaking is bad only in that it creates bad public relations and makes it harder for us to get politicians on our side. But both kinds of misbehaviour contrast sharply to what I noticed in Philadelphia, a city that is not known for its politeness.

Anyway, I am very proud to have done this round trip for a third time.
Old 07-03-18, 10:21 AM
Ferdinand NYC

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I have given myself a little award for having done this.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
plaque-ny-pha-3.bmp (1.66 MB, 77 views)
Old 07-04-18, 09:54 PM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferdinand NYC
The entire route was mostly pleasant; the only truly unpleasant section was the one that has been discussed in other threads: the connection between Jersey City and Newark especially the bridge connecting Kearny and Newark. And I am sorry to report that Newatk's Doremus Avenue was particularly aromatic today; the smell of sewage was uncommonly strong.
Congratulations on your trip to Philadelphia.
As usual, I intend to do another update this weekend on the connection between Jersey City and Newark using US 1/9 truck. I always get a little scared but after making the trip, it feels like a huge accomplishment. Like I said before, I'm most proud of that thread than any other.
Old 07-05-18, 07:51 AM
davlafont
No newbie

Bikes: 2001 Specialized Expedition Sport | 1972 Raleigh Sprite 27 | 1973 Raleigh Super Course | 1984 Trek 720 | 2019 Cannondale SuperX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good on ya Ferdinand! One day I'll do this ride, but at a more leisurely pace with an overnight stay in the Rutgers area (New Brunswick). My sister used to live very near the Delaware River in Burlington NJ and my plan was to follow the East Coast Greenway's NJ alternative south of Trenton which would pass right by her house. I would have stopped a second night in Burlington and then do an out-and-back into Philly from there. However, she moved this year much farther east so I have to re-think how I'd do this ride. I hadn't planned to stay in Philly, but that might be how I do it after all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.