Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Worthwhile Skewer upgrade

Old 02-26-19, 05:45 AM
RicePudding

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR GX 1 (2018), Giant Talon 2 (2010, RIP)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Worthwhile Skewer upgrade

I've been looking for a while for some better QR skewers for my GX1. Currently it just has the stock external cam cheap skewers which have started to rust and feel pretty horrible.

I was considering either the Shimano M8000 internal cam skewers or the DT Swiss Rws steel skewers but I have heard of some horror stories of people over tightening them and stripping them out.

Any recommendations? What do you run?
Old 02-26-19, 06:39 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
I really like both of those options. But they came with wheels I bought. I can't imagine stripping the DT skewers. My most recent skewer purchase was some Hope skewers
Old 02-26-19, 07:52 AM
RicePudding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I really like both of those options. But they came with wheels I bought. I can't imagine stripping the DT skewers. My most recent skewer purchase was some Hope skewers
What are the hope skewers like? All of Hope's parts look really bling but I wasn't sure about their skewers as they are external cam and I'd like my new ones to be protected from the elements.

I was set to order the DT Swiss RWS but then I saw
Now I'm unsure on whether to go with them or not. There is a lot of praise for them that I've seen with many saying that they're more stiff than a cam type skewer.
Old 02-26-19, 08:13 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
Do you have horizontal dropouts? DT has a new design, although maybe it's only on the TA skewers. They tighten up fine without stripping the handle. I think it takes a lot stronger person than I am to break one. Or tightening without the handle fully engaged.

The shimano skewers are really nice, it's a good choice.
Old 02-26-19, 08:18 AM
RicePudding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Do you have horizontal dropouts? DT has a new design, although maybe it's only on the TA skewers. They tighten up fine without stripping the handle. I think it takes a lot stronger person than I am to break one. Or tightening without the handle fully engaged.

The shimano skewers are really nice, it's a good choice.
My bike has vertical dropouts. Yeah I'm leaning towards the Shimano set, I know it's a very well established system, plus I can get them for £10 less than the DT Swiss.
Old 02-26-19, 09:07 AM
valve_timing

Bikes: 2018 Breezer Doppler Pro , 1989 Centurion Ironman Master

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
I was actually considering a skewer upgrade for the rear of my jamis renegade. was unsure if the dt swiss would work or not!
Old 02-26-19, 09:26 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by RicePudding
Any recommendations? What do you run?
As you mention- Shimano skewers as they are relatively inexpensive and very strong. There is just no upside to the external cam.

I have internal cam skewers for all my QR bikes(105, Ultegra, Deore, Sanshin, SunTour). And I have slowly changed over to new Shimano QRs for my wife's and kid's bikes too.
Old 02-26-19, 09:38 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
DTS RWS are fantastic. It is indeed possible to strip them out-- I pulled the threads out of the non-lever end cap on my rear skewer... because in their infinite wisdom, DTS made the end cap out of a single piece of aluminum. I guess because it looks fancy? I just took the caps off of an old pair of Shimano 105 skewers (which are a steel insert inside of a plastic outer) and put those on. And wouldn't you know it (not that it was a concern) but the Shimano caps are lighter than the DTS solid aluminum ones.
Old 02-26-19, 12:18 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Yep Shimano closed cam skewers for me also, looked into the RWS but couldn't justify the cost when the shimanos work so well already
Old 02-26-19, 01:45 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I've replaced all my external cam skewers with good old fashioned Ultegras. Peace of mind totally outweighs the few grams difference.
Old 02-26-19, 03:02 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
DTS RWS are fantastic. It is indeed possible to strip them out-- I pulled the threads out of the non-lever end cap on my rear skewer... because in their infinite wisdom, DTS made the end cap out of a single piece of aluminum. I guess because it looks fancy? I just took the caps off of an old pair of Shimano 105 skewers (which are a steel insert inside of a plastic outer) and put those on. And wouldn't you know it (not that it was a concern) but the Shimano caps are lighter than the DTS solid aluminum ones.
I bought a set of those but went back to Shimano. What wasn’t mentioned in the YouTube video is an even more disappointing feature of these ratcheting skewers, the “teeth” on the surface that grips the dropout - they keep grinding away at the dropout as they are tightened. I thought they would act like some of the fast acting clamps I have on my woodworking tools, where there is a toothed washer that rests on the item being clamped (in this case the dropout) and then allows you to rotate the handle in closed quarters 1/4 or 1/2 turn at a time and then when sufficiently tight the ratchet handle can be tucked away in whichever orientation you prefer. The problem is, this toothed outer washer does not remain stationary like it should so it removes paint, aluminum, steel or whatever. I did not like the wear and tear it was creating on my aluminum dropouts on my Flyte just after removing and re-installing the wheels a couple of times. I will go and look at the mechanism on the ratchet side one more time but the last time I checked this out toothed flange is not free to spin against the adjacent bushing like it should be. I hope I’m not being too confusing here.
Old 02-26-19, 04:51 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Perhaps there is some difference in construction between the "road" and "mountain" version of the DTS RWS skewers. I have the "mountain" version, and the toothed part that makes contact with the dropout is steel, free-floating, and a completely separate part from the ratchet mechanism. I just pulled my front skewer to confirm, and there is no movement of the toothed ring when the handle is rotated. The non-handle side is rigid and should not rotate, as you hold that in place manually anyway. The skewer only needs to have a free-floating ring on one side, and the RWS has that.
Old 02-27-19, 05:36 AM
RicePudding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So would you still recommend these skewers despite the stripping issue? Do you feel any improvement regarding stiffness over a conventional skewer?

The main reason I was looking into these was the claims that they can apply a greater clamping force than a cam assisted skewer but as with any 'different' systems I am often skeptical as to whether the innovation is a real improvement over existing design.
Old 02-27-19, 07:38 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

I would, yes. The clamping strength is as good as you get for a normal QR wheel. They’re easy to
put on and take off, and they look good. The only weak point is the solid aluminum end, and they’re not the only company to do that.
Old 02-27-19, 07:53 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Perhaps there is some difference in construction between the "road" and "mountain" version of the DTS RWS skewers. I have the "mountain" version, and the toothed part that makes contact with the dropout is steel, free-floating, and a completely separate part from the ratchet mechanism. I just pulled my front skewer to confirm, and there is no movement of the toothed ring when the handle is rotated. The non-handle side is rigid and should not rotate, as you hold that in place manually anyway. The skewer only needs to have a free-floating ring on one side, and the RWS has that.
The one I have are “road” versions. They have blue anodizing on the end caps and are branded as “Giant”. The eBay seller I got these from had the red ano ones that were branded “DT Swiss” and they looked identical but those were sold out.

Perhaps my skewers are DT Swiss but some lesser model without the ability of the toothed ring to remain stationary on the handled side. To me, this makes these cool looking skewers only usable on steel beater bikes where the dropouts are already tore up.

Also, I might mention that the “axle” on these skewers is about 0.1 or 0.2mm thinner than Shimano. This makes them just a bit weaker I think, and more prone to squeaking.
Old 02-27-19, 08:11 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Yeah, then the Giant branded and the DTS are very different. I've had mine 18+ months, three different wheelsets, and at least 9,000 miles-- no squeaks, no real issues. I purchased mine because I have a QR frame and fork with disc brakes, and removing and reinstalling wheels was giving me almost constant disc brake squeak. The DTS RWS is as close as I can get to thru-axle, and has performed as advertised.
Old 02-27-19, 02:57 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I put hex socket head 'less QR' Skewers on in place of the QR .. have the multi tool in the pannier, I remove when parking the bike..

if worried about over tightening ... the 'Nut' on the other side, if aluminum can be replaced with a steel one..
Old 02-28-19, 02:36 AM
RicePudding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An update on this, I decided that I would try a DT Swiss RWS and have currently just ordered one for the front to start with. I'll see if I like it and if I do I'll get one for the rear too. Hopefully arriving today!

I'll likely use the nut from the stock skewers as they're steel - peace of mind.