Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Lezyne Super GPS navigation problems

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 04-21-19, 01:00 PM
mkblackwell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts

I bought a Lezyne Super GPS a few months ago and have had a lot of problems getting simple navigation to work reliably. It's a Y10 model, updated to the latest firmware, using it with an iPhone and the latest Ally V2 software.

All I want to do is to load a route onto the GPS, start navigating that route, and have it give me turn by turn directions as I approach waypoints. Ideally it should not need to talk to my phone (or even be paired with it) while navigating (but that's not a deal breaker - just looking to save phone battery life). I don't need any of the other "features," like auto re-routing or seeing text messages on the GPS screen, or even pairing other sensors (I don't have any).

I have auto-re-route turned off (practicing on my commute it did not seem to work that well, and not I feature I need anyway). Also, when I start navigating and am slightly away from the starting point I choose No when it asks if I want to navigate to the start - I'm already on the route and want to keep going. But even if I start exactly at the starting point (and it doesn't ask to navigate me there) I have problems.

My work flow as been: create a route with the GPSRoot web application and fine-tune the waypoints; turn on GPS; run Ally V2 on phone; once they're connected go to Navigation screen on phone; select route; click Go.

Occasionally that works perfectly, and the GPS unit does just what I want, with the first waypoint popping up. But more often it doesn't work at all. After clicking Go I see the top progress bar on the phone say "Saving to GPS" for 10 or 15 seconds, then - nothing. The GPS unit does not start navigating and no amount of starting/stopping recording or anything else I try seems to help. Scrolling through the GPS screens I don't see either the next waypoint screen or the breadcrumb screen. I try cancelling Nav on the phone and retrying, disconnecting and reconnecting Blue Tooth, erasing all memory on the GPS unit, force-quitting the iPhone app and retrying, and every combination I can think of. Nada.

This is most frustrating. Maybe I'm doing something obviously wrong, but I can't figure it out... Any ideas? And if I can't get this to work how do the competitors (Wahoo, Garmin) compare for turn-by-turn navigation? I really don't need any other fancy features, but I want basic navigation to just work!

I really like the Lezyne unit physically - feels good and solid, long battery life, screen is easy to see and read. And when navigation works it's perfect! I just want it to reliably do it's one job!
Old 04-21-19, 01:15 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Wise Mariners set sail with more than one navigational method aboard,

too bad about your electronic thing being unreliable, send it in for service if warranty is still valid..

at least on a bike you can stop and ask someone for directions..
Old 04-22-19, 10:32 AM
Lezyne
Official

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mkblackwell
I bought a Lezyne Super GPS a few months ago and have had a lot of problems getting simple navigation to work reliably. It's a Y10 model, updated to the latest firmware, using it with an iPhone and the latest Ally V2 software.

All I want to do is to load a route onto the GPS, start navigating that route, and have it give me turn by turn directions as I approach waypoints. Ideally it should not need to talk to my phone (or even be paired with it) while navigating (but that's not a deal breaker - just looking to save phone battery life). I don't need any of the other "features," like auto re-routing or seeing text messages on the GPS screen, or even pairing other sensors (I don't have any).

I have auto-re-route turned off (practicing on my commute it did not seem to work that well, and not I feature I need anyway). Also, when I start navigating and am slightly away from the starting point I choose No when it asks if I want to navigate to the start - I'm already on the route and want to keep going. But even if I start exactly at the starting point (and it doesn't ask to navigate me there) I have problems.

My work flow as been: create a route with the GPSRoot web application and fine-tune the waypoints; turn on GPS; run Ally V2 on phone; once they're connected go to Navigation screen on phone; select route; click Go.

Occasionally that works perfectly, and the GPS unit does just what I want, with the first waypoint popping up. But more often it doesn't work at all. After clicking Go I see the top progress bar on the phone say "Saving to GPS" for 10 or 15 seconds, then - nothing. The GPS unit does not start navigating and no amount of starting/stopping recording or anything else I try seems to help. Scrolling through the GPS screens I don't see either the next waypoint screen or the breadcrumb screen. I try cancelling Nav on the phone and retrying, disconnecting and reconnecting Blue Tooth, erasing all memory on the GPS unit, force-quitting the iPhone app and retrying, and every combination I can think of. Nada.

This is most frustrating. Maybe I'm doing something obviously wrong, but I can't figure it out... Any ideas? And if I can't get this to work how do the competitors (Wahoo, Garmin) compare for turn-by-turn navigation? I really don't need any other fancy features, but I want basic navigation to just work!

I really like the Lezyne unit physically - feels good and solid, long battery life, screen is easy to see and read. And when navigation works it's perfect! I just want it to reliably do it's one job!
Hi there,

Glad to hear that you're enjoying most of the features of your Super, and there's most likely a fix for the issues you're experiencing with the navigation. If possible, can you please email warranty@lezyne.com or submit a ticket to our main customer service channel Support.Lezyne.com? Our customer service team will be happy to walk you through everything!

Cheers!
Old 04-23-19, 05:58 AM
stackinBBs

Bikes: 2012 Fuji Altamira

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mkblackwell

I have that computer and honestly, that's happened to me once or twice for no discernible reason and in no repeatable pattern. I agree it's very frustrating. Luckily it's pretty uncommon, but I wish I could figure out what causes it to freak out so I could avoid doing that thing.

The only difference in my work flow compared to yours is that I make routes on my computer on the ridewithgps website, download the .tcx file, and upload that to the Lezyne GPSroot site. From there I use my phone to send the route to the GPS. Maybe you could try the ridewithgps site to see if it's more reliable that way? You can build routes on the site with a free account, doing it on your phone requires their premium, which is why I don't do it
Old 05-02-19, 10:02 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Originally Posted by Lezyne
Hi there,

Glad to hear that you're enjoying most of the features of your Super, and there's most likely a fix for the issues you're experiencing with the navigation. If possible, can you please email warranty@lezyne.com or submit a ticket to our main customer service channel Support.Lezyne.com? Our customer service team will be happy to walk you through everything!

Cheers!
OP: Good luck with that. In my experience, Lezyne CS is spotty, at best.

It wouldn't surprise me if Lezyne's recent OS update is behind your problems. My Super GPS worked fine until the update, and now it mostly works fine -- but, even though it pairs properly with my phone, I no longer get alerts over the computer as messages and calls come in. And yeah, I know how to set up the phone and computer for this.

Ditto the previous poster's comment about route creation: use ridewithgps, even if you have to pay a subscription fee. Lezyne's route creation software is pretty clunky.
Old 05-02-19, 02:18 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
I've got a Garmin 500 and have tried running routes in the past. Seems on every one that I tried there'd be a turn it missed and areas that it acted like it was not getting a GPS signal. I really suspect it had too much going on and the processor was simply overloaded for that moment in time.

Routes aren't a big deal for me and I don't even try to use them anymore. I know where I'm going and if I don't then a view of a map before the ride or a look at google-maps on my phone quickly tell me what I need to know.

Not sure what this means toward your issue other than to say some users of Garmin, Lezyne and other makes of devices have various issues with routes too.

As others have mentioned, how you create the route, what site or software tool you use and even how you save and install the route on your device can make a difference.
Old 05-03-19, 03:15 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I had a Year 9 Super GPS (still have it actually just don't use it) and I was going back and forth with Lezyne CS on a few bugs and eventually they went radio silent. They just stopped issuing firmware updates for the Y9 and instead released the Y10, leaving all the early adopters who provided them with money so they could continue improving their products in the dust.

I bought a Wahoo and have never looked back.

Also I will never get tired of telling anyone who will listen about Lezyne's crap customer service.
Old 05-03-19, 04:00 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by ksryder
I had a Year 9 Super GPS (still have it actually just don't use it) and I was going back and forth with Lezyne CS on a few bugs and eventually they went radio silent. They just stopped issuing firmware updates for the Y9 and instead released the Y10, leaving all the early adopters who provided them with money so they could continue improving their products in the dust.

I bought a Wahoo and have never looked back.

Also I will never get tired of telling anyone who will listen about Lezyne's crap customer service.
Yeah, my next computer will probably be a Wahoo. But I’m sure they all have their quirks.
Old 05-05-19, 09:54 AM
dlwhitlinger

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Potential Fix....

I've had the same issues with my Lezyne Super GPS. I build my route with the Lezyne Root route builder, or RidewithGPS or Strava and then can't get the turn-by-turn directions to work on the Super GPS when I'm riding.

So....after weeks of frustration in trying to figure it out, I went and deleted all of my historical ride records off of the Super GPS. I did this from the Super GPS menu, not the iPhone app. After I cleared off all of my past rides, the turn-by-turn directions are now working correctly during rides.

So now when I come home from a ride, I upload the ride to Lezyne/Strava and then delete it off of the Super GPS so the Super GPS doesn't have any old ride data on it and is fresh for my next ride. This has worked consistently now for a 7+ rides....so perhaps this is the solution.
Dave
Old 05-23-19, 09:13 AM
Scooty Puff Jr

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote

It wouldn't surprise me if Lezyne's recent OS update is behind your problems. My Super GPS worked fine until the update, and now it mostly works fine -- but, even though it pairs properly with my phone, I no longer get alerts over the computer as messages and calls come in. And yeah, I know how to set up the phone and computer for this.
SAME ISSUE ! My Super GPS was awesome for a couple years, everything worked fine until I just updated it and now I get no notifications from my iPhone, even though the unit is paired with the phone. Like you, I know how to pair it, but no matter what I do it doesn't work now. I completely uninstalled the app on my phone, and set the Super GPS back to factory default, reset all the setting and started from scratch, and everything works still except the notifications ! So frustrating, because that was one of the best features for me because I get a lot of work texts and emails and its nice to know if I need to address them without stopping my ride. I wish there was a way to remove the firmware updates but I can't figure out how to do it.
Old 05-30-19, 10:37 AM
mkblackwell

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Following up on my initial issue with navigation not working - I think I know what went wrong, and things are working again for me. I think what happened is that Lezyne released new Super GPS firmware and a new GPS Ally V2 app. My iPhone automatically updated the app, but I didn't know that there was new firmware as well. It seems that the new app was not compatible with the older firmware, leading to the lack of navigation. As soon as I updated the firmware nav started working again, and I've used it successfully on several long complicated rides since then. Too bad the app didn't warn me about the incompatible firmware - seems like an obvious and trivial thing to do...

Sorry, no idea about the notification issues others have mentioned - I don't use that feature.

For the record, this is my work flow:
  • Create route using RWGPS (which is much much better than Lezyne's route planner);
  • Export TCX file from RWGPS (without "notify before turn" option);
  • Upload TCX to Lezyne GPS Root web site;
  • Fine tune any waypoints that need it (I wish you could make tweaks to the actual route here, but you can't);
  • When I'm ready to ride: Fire up Ally V2 on my iPhone; pair with GPS unit if it doesn't happen automatically;
  • In Ally V2 go to Navigation, Saved Routes, select the route;
  • Hit the "Go" button, wait for route to download to GPS unit;
  • Verify GPS unit is showing navigation to first waypoint;
  • Kill the Ally V2 app (double-click home button, swipe up, on my phone, but that varies)
  • (because I don't want auto re-route or notifications, and want to save phone battery)
  • Ride!
Sometimes I'll also run Strava on my phone, I find it's easier to get the ride directly back to my Strava feed than getting it off the GPS unit first, especially if I have pictures to go along with the ride.

So long story short, I'm happy with my Super GPS now - it's performing simple navigation with turn-by-turn directions just the way I want. But I'm not using many of the other features (phone notifications, re-routes, other Bluetooth-enabled devices, etc).
Old 08-20-19, 01:57 AM
bhugh

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For some reason, long turn-by-turn routes (whether created in the Lezyne web app, phone app, or by uploaded .tcx file) have gotten significantly worse over the past several releases. As recently as May I successfully used a 120-mile .tcx uploaded route. But with the recent firmware & software upgrades, the ability to handle long, complex turn-by-turn routes seems to have gotten worse.

I've been trying to load & run long routes with the Lezyne (80-250 miles) and it's pretty frustrating.

I've done quite a bit of experimenting and the issue basically comes down to:

- the Lezyne can only handle so many turns (about 150 or so per file, but happier with less than 100)
- the Lezyne can only handle so many trackpoints (what it uses to draw the path on the map). Here it can do 1500 or 2000 maybe but is happier with 400-500
- in addition, the Lezyne doesn't like large files to transfer - it will too often lose connection or whatever

So just for example, one route I've been working with is 120 miles and (as downloaded from RideWithGPS) has about 550 turns, 10000 trackpoints, and is 3.4 megabytes.

So given the limits above, you can see why that file doesn't work. (Though I swear I was getting files at least nearly that large/complex to work a year or so ago. Maybe not quite that large, but say half.)

The only solution for now--until Lezyne gets it figured out--is to cut up the route into smaller chunks, combined with pruning the trackpoints to the minimum actually needed. (In the above file I can prune it from 10000 to about 2000 without much noticeable difference.)

There are several utilities about that will prune down GPX files in that manner. But I haven't seen much that will do TCX files in a similar way.

In RideWithGPS you can export with "Reduce to 500 points" but if the route is too long, that 500 points will leave out turns and basically just butcher it. (A practical solution though: Chop the route into say 20-mile segments in RideWithGPS, then export each segment as 500 points. That would work.)

Since I could find any programs to trim down those TCX files, I made one:

github.com/bhugh/tcxprune/releases

It's free & set up to process those .tcx files so they will just work with Lezyne units.

(can't post URLs you, so you'll have to copy/paste the link if you want to check it out)

Last edited by bhugh; 08-20-19 at 02:14 AM.
Old 08-20-19, 02:11 AM
bhugh

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My long post above is a lead-up to: I've been working on a solution to prune & trim those TCX files so the routes with work with Lezyne units:
  • TCX Prune - TCX file pruner/splitter. Runs as windows .exe, python script, OR online web script to prune & split .tcx files
    • Download here github. com/bhugh/tcxprune/releases
    • You can also try it online here: repl. it/@bhugh/TCXPrune
    • (sorry, I can't post live links yet)
I could find plenty of programs that would trim & prune GPX files but none for TCX.

So I made this script.

HOW TO USE UNDER WINDOWS

If you want to run it windowed under windows, just download vprune.exe file, save it to a directory, double click to run it, and then select the file using the window/buttons and press "Process file".

It has many options you can play with but for basic use with Lezyne units you can just accept the default values.

You'll end up with 2 or 4 or 8 or so files named vp_1_myfile.tcx, vp_2_myfile.tcx, and so on. They overlap just a little and each is small enough to actually upload (in reasonable time) and work with Lezyne units.

HOW TO USE UNDER WINDOWS COMMAND LINE

More details in the readme file at github.com/bhugh/tcxprune - but to use it under windows, if you're comfortable with command line programs just download vprune-console.exe, open cmd and type:
Code:
vprune-console.exe myfile.tcx
Similar to above, you'll end up with several files in the same directory as your original file, that are pruned and split. As above, there are many possible options but you can just ignore them unless you want to dig into the details.

HOW TO USE UNDER PYTHON (including on Android)

The script will run on any platform that has python installed. If you have python installed you probably don't need me to tell you more.

FYI I've been running it on my android phone under Termux+python - a portable solution to pruning/trimming those .tcx files that doesn't even need an internet connection.

DOWNLOAD - FREE, OR TRY ONLINE

Download windows .exe or python version here: github.com/bhugh/tcxprune/releases

Or try it online here: You can also try the app on repl.it at repl.it/@bhugh/TCXPrune (Please fork the repl first, then run--it works a lot better that way. Giant button up top: "FORK". Click it.)
Old 08-25-19, 05:51 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Yikes! I hope I fare better with the Super Pro I just ordered. As mentioned in another post I'm disappointed in Garmin abandoning entry level models like 200/20/25. I was originally looking at macro or even macro easy which is well under $100, but got intrigued by the offline maps and a few other features with pro and maybe someday I'll try sensors. $200 (Garmin 130) just seems steep for something that's little more than a toy for the type of riding I do. Even $150 for a pro was no slam dunk, but at least Lezyne offers some options if I had wanted to remain firm around $100. If this doesn't workout it may be back to old school cycle computers. I know I could use my phone, but like to keep it topped off for emergencies and prefer not to have a 'surfboard' hanging off the front of my bike.

Last edited by gear64; 08-25-19 at 06:01 PM.
Old 09-17-19, 08:35 AM
adrian6565

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi there,
I've recently opened a ticket with Lezyne's support to sort out the issue with spotty navigation.

What I have noticed was the unreliable navigation feature when dealing with long GPX files. After reporting that to them, they obviously suggested me to update the firmware but it resulted in navigation not working in most cases anymore. Resetting the device on top of resetting the Ally App didn't bring any good either.

I've provided them with my track file - 113.48km (70.5 miles), which apparently has 2200 track points in it (but only 206 KB of size), however, they are kind of reluctant to test the file on their end.

Can anyone of you try it out with your Lezyne GPS? Are you able to push it to the device and see the breadcrumb screen?
Here is the link to the GPX -> support.lezyne.com/attachments/token/KCBu7THijk1lZX9gaHnz859Ya/?name=Zbiornik+%C5%9Awinna+Por%C4%99ba.gpx
Old 09-17-19, 09:34 AM
Koyote

Mine still works fine for navigation. Last weekend I downloaded a gpx file for an 80-mile route and it loaded and showed the trace map without problems. It did not give me turn-by-turn instructions, but that may have been an issue in the original file. (I'm not sure.)

But, since the recent updates (app and computer OS) I am still not routinely getting alerts (incoming messages and calls) from my phone, and the computer will sometimes disconnect from my HRM and will refuse to re-connect, which is frustrating.

I am about ready to relegate the Lezyne unit to my commuter bike and buy a Garmin for serious riding. I know another brand will have it's issues, too, but I am just kinda done with the Lezyne. Their updates have diminished the system's abilities, not enhanced them.
Old 09-18-19, 02:11 AM
adrian6565

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honestly, in case I won't manage to get Lezyne working reliably, I'm switching over to Garmin (Edge 130 should be sufficient for my needs).
I don't need any turn by turn features, but breadcrumb (simple trail) navigation is a must.
Old 09-24-19, 12:46 AM
bhugh

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by adrian6565
I've provided them with my track file - 113.48km (70.5 miles), which apparently has 2200 track points in it (but only 206 KB of size), however, they are kind of reluctant to test the file on their end.

Can anyone of you try it out with your Lezyne GPS? Are you able to push it to the device and see the breadcrumb screen?
Here is the link to the GPX -> support.lezyne.com/attachments/token/KCBu7THijk1lZX9gaHnz859Ya/?name=Zbiornik+%C5%9Awinna+Por%C4%99ba.gpx
It is funny they won't even try it.

I uploaded it on the Lezyne Root site & uploaded it to my Super Pro GPS. I was 8206 km from the start . . .

I sent it to my device. It took about 2 minutes to load, but it did do it successfully and it looks perfectly normal. It is a bit hard to tell if every last thing worked because I'm so far from the route, but it all looks OK. It beeped, started, and is giving my an arrow telling which way to go (8206 km) to find the route.

One minor problem that I see quite often, is the Android app still shows the animation for 'uploading' and says 'sending' even though the device thinks it is uploaded successfully. If I navigate around a bit in the app and then back to Navigation it looks right.

FYI I'm running Android 9/Pie and Lezyne Super Pro, Lezyne firmware & app on last update.
Old 09-24-19, 01:00 AM
bhugh

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Update on my difficulties with navigation uploads & bluetooth connectivity.

Previously I was running Android 5.1. A year or two ago this worked great but recently I have been having massive problems maintaining Bluetooth connectivity and uploading routes longer than say 20 miles.

When I contacted Lezyne tech support they suggested upgrading the Android operating system. This is a great idea in theory but not every device can upgrade and even if it can, it's a pretty big project.

So I tried operating the device on my wife's phone, which is Android 8. This was noticeably improved over my phone, but still maybe 80%, not 100%. I could load maybe a 60 mile route to the device OK. But it was a moderate improvement, not a complete solution, which put me off upgrading my own phone until just recently.

So I put my phone on Android 9 and--wah-lah. The problems are solved.

I can upload 120 mile route. It maintains Bluetooth connectivity throughout a ride and auto-downloads at the end. It send along all notifications & messages I've requested. It's basically as good as it was when it--and my phone--were new.

So my guess is, they test only on the **latest** operating systems.

As long as you're on the latest & greatest, you'll be OK. The further you diverge from that, the worse off you'll be.

I can understand why the do that--testing is difficult and expensive, and there are currently no fewer than EIGHT Android versions with > 5% of the market.

Plus I don't even know how many iOS versions.

But they are somewhat cooking their own gooses, because what happens if you are running Android 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8 (which amounts to like 90% of the market!) then your Lezyne will work somewhere between barely, slightly, and mostly with various features randomly breaking and no one really know why.

If you're on Android 9 you'll probably be quite delighted and wondering why everyone else is kicking up a fuss.

FWIW.

See current Android versions with market share here: developer.android.com/about/dashboards (still can't post URLs, sorry)
Old 09-24-19, 01:05 AM
bhugh

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I mentioned above the little utility I wrote to help make .tcx files more usable on the Lezyne by slimming them down, splitting them into different files, etc.

I've just posted the latest update, which has some bug fixes & improvements:

github.com/bhugh/tcxprune/releases/tag/v1.1.5

It runs on Windows, Linux/Unix, MacOS, Android, etc, as well as online here: repl.it/@bhugh/TCXPrune

In addition, I upgraded the documentation quite a lot. There are no pages explaining various options AND in detail how to install/run on your Android device and other Linux/Unix/MacOS type systems:

github.com/bhugh/tcxprune/wiki

(Apologies for the semi-links--I still haven't posted enough here to be able to post a real URL. You'll just have to copy/paste them into the address bar of your browser if you want to try it.)
Old 09-24-19, 06:07 AM
adrian6565

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm running Android 9 (Huawei Mate 10 Pro) with latest updates and latest firmware for my Lezyne Super GPS device. Last time I tested with iPhone, it was sitting on 12*ish version of iOS - the same symptoms.
I've just updated iPhone 7 to iOS 13 and will give it a try as well.
@bhugh - Thanks for trying out my file, on my end it stops "sending" in the app but GPS doesn't respond whatsoever. @your app, I'll give it a try as well.

In the end, all this trouble to make a navigation feature reliably working on this device seems to be a bit too much...
Old 09-24-19, 07:11 PM
bhugh

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by adrian6565
@bhugh - Thanks for trying out my file, on my end it stops "sending" in the app but GPS doesn't respond whatsoever. @your app, I'll give it a try as well.
That's crazy.

BTW my program is for trimming .tcx files--which have turn-by-turn directions. There are quite a number of programs out there to trim or split .gpx files.

Just for example, see the discussion here: forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=9268

If you're making the route in RideWithGPS, there is an even easier option.

If your route number is, say, 30366867, then this URL will prune the gpx file down to 500 points (this is one of the options when downloading from RWGPS--trim to 500 points):

ridewithgps.com/routes/30366867.gpx?cues_as_wpt=true&poi_as_wpt=true&reduce_to=500&sub_format=track

If you just make a little tweak, you can trim to 1000, 2000, 4000, or any othe desired number. Here it is trimmed to 2000 points:

ridewithgps.com/routes/30366867.gpx?cues_as_wpt=true&poi_as_wpt=true&reduce_to=2000&sub_format=track

Reason is, a 500-point route as long as your is, is probably going to be pretty jaggedy. But 2000 points will likely be pretty good, but also load in the Lezyne.

In the end, all this trouble to make a navigation feature reliably working on this device seems to be a bit too much...
It is irritating it's not just plug-n-play at this point.

One reason I keep going after it, is it worked for several years for me pretty much flawlessly.
Old 09-25-19, 02:08 AM
adrian6565

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got it running yesterday.

I went for the second run with iPhones (6 @ iOS 12.4, 7 @ iOS 13) - it's slow, it recalculates but in the end it sends routes to the GPS. From time to time it chokes and displays error in the app, but after a while it appears on GPS unit.
Tried multiple routes with distance up to 120km and it was mostly ok/usable.

Went for android with my Huwaei and it wasn't great at all as expected. Sending was painfully slow, dropping connection many times - unusable.
Then I dug into system settings to make sure all Huawei's baterry optimisations are off and it turned out that these little fkers were turned ON.
Disabled all of them and... it works!!!
Sends the data much quicker than iPhone. From time to time shows an error that the BT device was unpaired but it sends the track to the GPS unit anyway.

What still worries me is the fact it always sends the route to starting point - even if you choose "NO" on the pop-up. I'll have to test that in the field with active gps signal, as all the above testing was done with 0 GPS signal.
Old 06-27-21, 03:32 PM
fooman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Workaround for Lezyne Super GPS (probably works with other Lezyne units)

Hi, I'm bumping this old thread because I am a Lezyne Super GPS owner who loathes the same thing about it that yall do, flaky navigation starts. I use mine for randonneuring, so big gpx files. The battery life and minimal navigation off of gpx tracks is much appreciated. But the bad bluetooth app is such a downer and I considered it a deal breaker untill I worked out the hack I will share below.

Basically, by the time you are starting a ride it's too late to try and load the route on through Bluetooth. The app is just not dependable enough and once in not many times, it simply won't work in time for your scheduled ride start and you are going to be riding with no navigation. But you can work on it the day before. So:

1. The day before your ride: Your goal at this point is simply to battle your way through the ******** app and start the ride. Just do the annoying resyncing, restarts, etc and wait until the nth time when it works for no understandable reason. This can take hours but it's no problem, you aren't riding today and don't have to stress. You can do it while you work on other aspects of getting your bike ready.

2. When the navigation actually starts (we know that generally it will work, eventually) it will be in navigation mode but not yet recording. Now you can plug the unit into the charger and leave it overnight.

3. In the morning, do not simply unplug the unit. It will be in a charging mode and will immediately turn off once it's unplugged. To counteract this you can start recording a ride while it's plugged in; then unplug. It will not turn off while recording a ride. Now you can immediately end that ride and discard it, it has served its purpose. I recommend playing around with this step a bit under non-stressful conditions (like not when an important ride is starting) so that you understand how it works.

4. Hooray? Your gps is now all set to start recording, with the ride loaded, and it will "Just Work" instead of stressing you out with its flaky bullcrap as the minutes tick down to your scheduled ride start.

As Whitney Houston said, "it's not right, but it's OK". Thanks to working out this hack I can avoid buying another better designed GPS for the next little while.